Search for content in message boards

Kozub, Zabawa, Czaika, Skiba in Austria Poland

Replies: 2

Kozub, Zabawa, Czaika, Skiba in Austria Poland

Elaine Swab (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2005 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Mar 2005 9:47AM GMT
Surnames: Kosub, Kozub, Zabawa, Czaika, Skiba, Sheiliko, Ostrowski, Sledzieski, Hesler
Thaddeus Kosub born August 1859 perhaps Bottia (?) Hungary (?), aka Galicia, polish, immigrated USA 25 May 1884 to Massachusetts then on to Pennsylvania. He married before immigrating abt 1882 Jabonka (?) to Justyna Zabawa born September 1863 Austria or Poland. This young married couple immigrated with his parents, Jan Kozub and Agneiszka Czaika. They were Catholics in the USA; religion in Europe unknown, from Galicia/Austria/Poland according to numerous census and immigration records. Thaddeus was an engineer from a family of minor gentry and he was a university grad in Europe according to family lore; no details known, however. In Pennyslvania, Thaddeus was a mine engineer and they owned the general store in/near South Fork near Conemaugh PA. He is said to have died during a return trip to Poland, before 1912, but date unknown. His last child was born August 1905.

Justyna Zabawa is thought to have a brother John who also immigrated to USA as well as two sisters, Theressa and Tekla who remained in Europe (Poland or Austria). Thus far, I have only located a John Zabawa in Texas, but do not know if correct individual.

These families intermarry in the USA with Skiba family. Stanislaw Skiba b abt 1884 Rudnik (?) m Olga Helena Kozub and his siblings:
Michael Skiba born about 1873 Austria m Katherine in Austria about 1896 and supposedly Kata immigrated with her first daughter Staphania Skiba from Olchovska, Austrian ethnicity in 1900 (census info);
Joseph Skiba born abt 1878 Austria Pol m Mary Kozub; Walter Skiba b abt 1879 Austria Pol m Marcella Sheiliko; Anthony Skiba b abt 1885 or 1895 Austria;
Julia Skiba b abt 1888 Austria (immigrated 1909 m Ludwig "Frank" Ostrowski);
Ksawera Skiba b abt 1893 Poland married Frank Sledzieski; and John Skiba b abt 1900 m Julianna Hesler; they lived in Detroit, Michigan a few years.

I do not know if any of the other surnames came from same area in Europe or not. Most marriages took place in Pennsylvania shortly after immigrations.

Appreciate any and all information/leads! Trying to piece together family tree of my grandfather who was orphaned at age 10 due to influenza epidemic in 1918s.

Unable at this point to piece together locations, families in Europe. Many towns, names, etc are likely to be misspelled; they were written down phonetically from verbal stories known. Would love to hear from anyone with interest or knowledge of these towns, surnames! Every bit helps!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Elaine Swab 19 Mar 2005 1:53AM GMT 
palkin 21 Mar 2005 11:25AM GMT 
shrydvd326 15 Sep 2008 1:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic