Search for content in message boards

Army family in Gibraltar

Replies: 4

Re: Army family in Gibraltar

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Kay, I've cut and pasted files sent to me when I was starting out with Gibraltar, hopefully they will help you as they helped me! Sorry it's long, I was going to attach them as files but only picture files are allowed here. And judging by the preview, all the text will be run together without the paragraph spacings I've used.

It's very difficult unless you can make a contact in Gibraltar to actually look things up, although I found my first Gibraltar birth on the IGI records, have you tried those? Another two were found by physical search at the National Archives, I am in Australia but have English cousins and one was able to search for our relatives there.
Another place I found records was the Military section of Find My Past web site and also their Overseas Birth records. They are very good, you can search for free and then if you find something of interest you buy credits. I found mine without credits as some of the records are free to view as well.
So I would recommend the IGI first (the Mormon web site) then Find My Past, then try some of the resources mentioned below
It helps if you know the religion, which will narrow down the search to a particular church baptism.
One more resource, look for a web site belonging to the 44th Regiment, I found one for my ancestors regiment and you never know what you will come across. I found a photo of his regiment and also details of the regiments movements to different stations which is a help.

Good luck!
Christine

FROM A MAILING LIST MESSAGE

I was able to locate the 1773 baptism of the daughter of a serving soldier in Gibraltar through the kind assistance of the King's Chapel there. The chapel was and still is for the servicemen of the armed forces.

The secretary at the King's Chapel is Mrs. Marie Carman Zammit. She is the secretary to the Fr. Michael Harman Chaplain Royal Navy, Garrison Chaplain British Forces Gibraltar.

They will look in their look thru their records (military) for a fee. The e-mail address is chaplaincy@gibnynex.gi
The"snail mail" is The Chaplains Secretary, King's Chapel, BFPO
52 UK.

Other addreses are:

If Presbyterian write to Church of Scotland, Governor's Parade, Gibraltar.

Episcopal to The Methodist Church, The Vestry, 297 Main Street, Gibraltar
( records starting 1840)

Roman Catholic, Cathedral of The Holy Trinity, The Vestry, Cathedral Square,
Gibraltar.( not consecrated till 1838) or Cathedral of St. Mary the Crowned,
Main Street, Gibraltar ( records starting from 1800)

Jewish: Nefusot Yehuddah Synagogue, Suite 34, Don House, 30-38 Main Street,
Gibraltar and Bethel Tabernacle, 95 Main Street, Gibraltar

the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity, The Vestry, Cathedral Square,
Gibraltar is Church of England

More addresses:- Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths is at Joshua Hassan House, Secretary's Lane, Gibraltar - +350 78303

The Superintendent of the Cemetry is Alfred Ryan Esq., North Front Cemetry, Devils Tower Road, Gibraltar +350 77279

British Regiments in Gibraltar in the 1800's maintained their own registers of B.M.D's and these are now held in the UK at the GRO - the public can't have sight of these or their indexes so searches are free. NOTE: - You will need to know the number of the Regiment (eg 106th Regiment of Foot) your relative was in so they can get the right registers out of the archives

The B.M.D. records for the military are held by the GRO in Cheshire details of their address etc are on their web site at

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/default.asp

To get details of the regimental name and from that the number is a problem I'm not sure how to get round. I might suggest an email to the Army Museum at http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/index.html and see if they know which regiments were on the Rock in 1878.

With the regimental number the GRO will search their records for free - the registers are not available to the public hence the reason why they will do it for free - I have used their service - a very wild card search and they turned up trumps which sent me off in another totally different direction and country.

If this gets no where then try the GRO in Gibraltar or as a really wild chance try the Government Archivist, The Convent, Gibraltar +350 79461.

A FILE SENT TO ME

BIRTHS, DEATHS AND MARRIAGES RECORDS.

CIVIL STATUS AND REGISTRATION OFFICE
REGISTRY OF BIRTHS, DEATHS AND MARRIAGES
JOSHUA HASSAN HOUSE
3 SECRETARY’S LANE
GIBRALTAR
Telephone: (00350) 78303, Fax: (00350) 42706

The records for births, deaths and marriages held in our registry office only date back as far as the dates listed below.
REGISTER COMMENCEMENT DATE DATE OF COMPULSORY REGISTRATION
BIRTHS

3rd October 1848
20th January 1887
DEATHS

1st January 1869
25th December 1912
MARRIAGES

10th April 1862
17th July 1902

For records dating back further than the dates I have listed you will need to contact the relevant church or researcher I have listed as they may be in a better position to assist you. In some cases their records date back as far as 1704.

OTHER SOURCES OF RECORDS.
If you could enclose an International Reply Coupon when contacting any of the churches it would be greatly appreciated and will enable a faster reply.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH RECORDS CHURCH OF ENGLAND RECORDS
Cathedral of St Mary the Crowned Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
The Vestry The Vestry
215 Main Street Cathedral Square
Gibraltar Gibraltar
Tel: 00350 76688 Fax: 00350 43112 Tel: 00350 75745 Fax: 00350 78463
Email address: cathedral@gibtelecom.net Email address: anglicangib@gibtelecom.net
Please ask for Mr Pereira for any search queries.

CHURCH OF SCOTLAND RECORDS METHODIST CHURCH RECORDS
St Andrew’s Church Methodist Church Office
Governor’s Parade 297/299 Main Street
Gibraltar Gibraltar
Tel: 00350 77040 Tel: 00350 77941
Email address: lamont@gibnet.gi Email address: widor@gibnet.gi

JEWISH COMMUNITY RECORDS BETHEL CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP
M E Belilo Bethel Christian Fellowship
2/1 Engineer Lane P O Box 568
P O Box 548 Wellington Front
Gibraltar Gibraltar
Email address: mesod.belilo@belilo.gi Tel/Fax : 00350 52002
Tel: 00350 79548

Searches can be conducted at the registry between 2.25pm – 5.00pm (Monday to Friday) between mid September and mid June. During the summer months searches can only be held between 1.15pm – 2.15pm. There is a fee of £18.00 for this service and searches need to be conducted by the individual(s) concerned. This fee covers two to three consecutive afternoon sessions on the search in question. This service would entitle you to look up our records in index card form and if necessary to look up entries in the relevant registers. Please give prior warning on intention to conduct search as we are only able to allow one at a time. Please call on telephone number 00350 78303 on the date in question to make arrangements.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
moreta56 26 Dec 2009 7:46AM GMT 
kaycsps 5 Jan 2010 8:50AM GMT 
moreta56 6 Jan 2010 5:45AM GMT 
ericmedhurst 25 Apr 2012 7:05PM GMT 
moreta56 26 Apr 2012 1:03AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.