Search for content in message boards

How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pcitures on the tree?

How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pcitures on the tree?

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 10:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: pusch
I have had an old Family Tree for many years that I built and updated via Gedcom made from various versions of Family Tree software, with no problems over the many years.

Then last October suddenly my attempts to update that old tree resulted in the loss of all the pictures on the tree.

I was, by then, then using Family Tree Maker Version 11 and when I found Ancestry.com was no longer supporting that version, I updated to FTM 2014 in hopes that might solve the problem.

Unfortunately it didn't.

I still can't update to my old Family Tree without losing all the pictures.

The only way I can get the pictures back is to upload an old, September, pre-problem, Family Tee Maker Version 11 sourced Gedcom which I had fortunately saved.

This leave the old tree with it’s pictures but none of the additions and corrections I’ve made since September.

How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections I'm now making on FTM 2014, and now a new Ancestry.com tree too without losing all the pictures on that old tree?

Bruce Pusch

Re: How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pcitures on the tree?

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 1:02PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2013 1:04PM GMT
Are you talking about uploading to a tree at ancestry.com? Or worldconnect.com? Or, something else?

From Family Tree Maker, with your desired file open it FTM, look at the upper right corner of virtually any screen in the program. Hover your mouse over that "leafy" icon and you will see it says "click to upload to Ancestry".

You will be given the option to "link" your FTM file to that Ancestry Tree - so that a change to either will change the other (either automatically, or on command). Some people seem to have had some problems with that feature and don't use it.

As far as I know, Ancestry has never provided for Gedcoms to be uploaded Ancestry trees. Ancestry trees have always been uploaded from within Family Tree Maker, or created and changed directly on-line.

This procedure will upload images / documents in your file that did not get into your file via a merge via the ancestry merge structure / protocol. Those images / documents will be simply linked to the Ancestry database where you got the image from (ie census record, birth certificate, etc.)

Re: How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pcitures on the tree?

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 1:58PM GMT
If you are just trying to update from Version 11 to the Version named 2014, I believe that V-11 will be imported into 2014 directly.

Then if you want to transfer to a online tree do it from 2014.

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 9:03PM GMT
Hello,

Thanks to the two of you for your quick responses. I sorry I was unclear. Here is the whole story.

For many years I have built a tree on RootsWeb at
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...
using various versions of Family tree Maker software uploading Gedcoms from the software to the RootsWeb tree.. I had no problems until this October when a Gedcom upload from the version I was then using, FTM Version 11, resulted in uploading the additions allright but at the same time wiping out all the pictures on the tree.

A RootsWeb tech was unable to find a reason for this to have happened and knew Version 11 was no longer supported by Ancestry.co,, suggested I upgrade to FTM 2014. I did so, and at the same time opened a new Ancestry.com tree by downloading a Gedcom to it from my old RootsWeb tree.

Since then I have tried to upload additions and corrections now being made to the new Ancestry.com tree to the old RottsWeb tree dozens, if not hundreds of times all resulting in the pictures being wiped out on the RootsWeb tree except in one case, where I uploaded a direct copy of the RootsWeb tree loaded into FTM 2014 with one small correction, adding the word (NOTES) to one of the many names, making a Gedcom of that and uploading that to the RootsWeb Tree and that time, with that one small correction, the pictures didn't disappear.

So it can be done, as it had been without a problem for so many years.

As I say, I have tried many times with varying amounts of corrections but been unable, so far to find the exact number the determines whether it will wipe out all the pictures or not.

So my problem is, it works with a very small correction but I can't make Gedcoms every time I make such small changes. How do I get the Gedcom uploads to work with large changes as they always did before?

Has anybody else run into this problem? How did they resolve it?

I've tried asking for Ancestry.com tech help but the minute I mention the word RootsWeb, they send the message back to RootsWeb. RootsWeb has tried very hard to help me but have no further immediate answers.

Am I going to have to abandon this RootsWeb tree or leave it up as is with no further additions or corrections and perhaps a note on the top of each page urging readers to visit my new Ancestry.com tree for anything found since 10/26/13?

I will appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Bruce

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 2:53AM GMT
You keep saying that you lost the image to your trees.
WorldConnect never supported images as only the links were in the GEDCOM. NO images are were ever included.

But now you are saying that the images are missing from your FTM file, is that correct?
The only way that can happen is if you used a GEDCOM from the WorldConnect to make your current database, then yes you lost them, for the reason stated above.

Re: How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pictures on the tree?

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 3:11AM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2013 3:27AM GMT
I also thought images were not supported in an upload to rootsweb worldconnect.

But - looking at the link from the earlier message from pusch, I see images,

Screenshot showing the first image. There are others.
Attachments:

Re: How can I again update my old Family tree with the additions and corrections without losing the pictures on the tree?

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 3:53AM GMT
Yes, there is a trick that one can do.

All one needs to do is post some images to a web site, use that web url to a image within the notes. Then when uploaded to WorldConnect, the image will be displayed.

The URL must be a valid one and open to the public.

Have a look at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d... and http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

If you were right click the image and select Properties on the webpage, you will see the path to the image

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 4:47AM GMT
You seem to be contradicting yourself, D A

Your earlier post
"WorldConnect never supported images as only the links were in the GEDCOM. NO images are were ever included."

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 9:48AM GMT
Hello,

Thanks to the two more of you for your responses.

First of all, you can display images on RootsWeb (World Connect) tree pages by uploading the picture to a RootsWeb "free page" and then typing in the code given you in your FTM program in the place you wish the picture to appear.

That typed in code will lead to the picture on your RootsWeb (World Connect) t"free page" uploaded photo list and thenon to your RootsWeb tree,

There are detailed instructions on how to do this on the RootsWeb help pages starting with

http://accounts.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index.cgi?op=show&...

My problem is that for many years I have built and regularly added to such a tree on RootsWeb at
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

and if you follow the link you can see the pictures.

I built this tree using various versions of Family tree Maker software uploading Gedcoms from the software to the RootsWeb tree.. I had no problems until this October when a Gedcom upload from the version I was then using, FTM Version 11, resulted in uploading the additions allright but at the same time wiping out all the pictures on the tree.

A RootsWeb tech was unable to find a reason for this to have happened and knew Version 11 was no longer supported by Ancestry.co,, suggested I upgrade to FTM 2014. I did so, and at the same time opened a new Ancestry.com tree by downloading a Gedcom to it from my old RootsWeb tree.

Since then I have tried to upload additions and corrections now being made to the new Ancestry.com tree to the old RottsWeb tree dozens, if not hundreds of times all resulting in the pictures being wiped out on the RootsWeb tree except in one case, where I uploaded a direct copy of the RootsWeb tree loaded into FTM 2014 with one small correction, adding the word (NOTES) to one of the many names, making a Gedcom of that and uploading that to the RootsWeb Tree and that time, with that one small correction, the pictures didn't disappear.

So it can be done, as it had been without a problem for so many years.

As I say, I have tried many times with varying amounts of corrections but been unable, so far to find the exact number the determines whether it will wipe out all the pictures or not.

So my problem is, it works with a very small correction but I can't make Gedcoms every time I make such small changes. How do I get the Gedcom uploads to work with large changes as they always did before?

Has anybody else run into this problem? How did they resolve it?

I've tried asking for Ancestry.com tech help but the minute I mention the word RootsWeb, they send the message back to RootsWeb. RootsWeb has tried very hard to help me but have no further immediate answers.

Am I going to have to abandon this RootsWeb tree or leave it up as is with no further additions or corrections and perhaps a note on the top of each page urging readers to visit my new Ancestry.com tree for anything found since 10/26/13?

I will appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Bruce

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 3:56PM GMT
BurgessDonnelly,
As stated in earlier there is a "TRICK" that one can add a URL to a image stored at any website, in the "NOTES" within a FTM file. When a GEDCOM is made this URL will be included and then the Rootsweb WorldConnect would display the image. If the image, webpage or website is not longer valid then the image will not be displayed. This is NOT really supported by WorldConnect but a third party posted how to do this.

A GEDCOM does NOT contain any images only the links (URL) to an image.

Bruce,
Have you checked to see if the URL in the new data file is still correct?

I went to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bpusch3279... and I see that the path of the image you have there is not a valid one.

I added spaces to the code below, so you can see the code that is in your webpage.

< center>
< h3>< font color="red">My Test Picture< /font>< /h3>
< img src="adam.jpg" border="0"> <--------------------------needs a full URL
< p>Family group taken at etc.. etc..< /p>
< /center>

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.