Search for content in message boards

Feller in USA

Feller in USA

Posted: 20 Dec 2005 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Feller, Forret(Forett)
Various Feller immigrants have come to the USA at different times from different places and with different surname spellings. Over the last 3 years i have come in contact with a number of Feller descendants from Switzerland, Germany, Luxemburg, France, etc. I have also seen some of the descendant tree reports. i would like to see just how many different Feller family unit origins we can identify in this forum. If someone is really into European history, maybe we can even see how a Feller family may have migrated within Europe and be connected to another Feller unit. For instance, my ancestors came from France right next to the Luxemburg border. I am now corresponding with Fellers whose ancestors came from Luxemburg. But, so far we have not been able to connect our ancestors.
With the mobility we enjoy, we are apt to come across a "Feller" anywhere in the USA whose origins are from anywhere else. Obviously there are certain "home communities" or areas where a large number of a certain group remain. i would appreciate any help in identifying these "original settlements". in some cases there may be branches of the same European family know to have settled in different areas. That would be interesting to know, also.
i will start this by telling some pertinent info on my ancestors. I may also contribute bits of info i know about other Feller family units and solicit contributions from other families...........
Henry Feller(1809) - Puttelange les Thionville, France - came to Iowa in 1856 with wife Mary , 4 sons and 2 daughters. It appears they had relatives just south of Dubuque, IA and stopped there for a time, but moved on to permanently settle in Dallas Co, IA, just west of Des Moines. My gr-grandfather Nicholas was oldest of the sons and eventually moved his own family on to eastern South Dakota(Miner Co). Henry's 2nd son Andrew was grandfather of famous Cleveland Indian pitcher Bob Feller. Descendant sof the 3rd son John at gunpoint yielded their car to Bonnie and Clyde in 1933 at the Dexfield Park shoot-out. It gained the notorious couple another year of "history". Marvelle Feller(now in his 90's) still recalls the day he told Clyde how to drive the Plymouth(unfamiliar to Clyde in his preference for Fords)........Next vacation, visit central Iowa, stop by and see the historic Dexfield Park site, maybe look up Marvelle. Also visit the Bob Feller Baseball Museum in Van Meter......You are certainly welcome to come to Watertown, SD to visit me too.

Re: Feller in USA

Posted: 24 Dec 2005 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: Feller
Hi Bill,
I don't know if this will help or not, but I am from a line of Feller's that settled in Pottawattamie County, IA.
My great grandfather was Hans Heinrich Feller. Hans and his wife Katherina imagrated to the US in 1881 from Holstein, Germany with 5 daughters. My grand mother the first born in the US and always told me that her cousin was Bob Feller the baseball player, but I have never been able to find a connection.
My great grandparents eventually had 13 children and there are a lot of Feller descendents in and around Council Bluffs, IA.
I have been working on my Feller Family Tree for about 4 years and have not been able to find any information about them in Germany.
Joe

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 4:15PM GMT
Hi Bill,

Just found your posting this morning. I am a Feller and my ancestors were from the Stark County, Ohio area. My immigrant ancestor was Johannes (John) Feller from Zweisimmen, Canton Bern, Switzerland. He emigrated in 1851 and settled in Canton, Ohio. He had 12 children, some of whom must have descendants in that area, but I have had trouble locating any. Johannes was my great grandfather. My grandfather Frank died young of typhoid in 1911, and my father Frank moved to NYC and then to Florida.

While researching on the internet, I noticed that there is a large family of Fellers in the Hudson River Valley. I'm not sure where they came from, though.

Hope this helps.

Cindy Feller Duffek

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2006 7:48PM GMT
Thanks Cindy........It has been a couple years since i heard from a Swiss Feller. He was actually from Canada. He told me that any Swiss Feller came from one of 2 main Feller families in Switzerland. I can't remember offhand if he gave me a clue how to separate the 2, or if he told me exactly which family he came from......
It is interesting that your family came from Canton area, Stark Co, Ohio. One of my grandpa Andy's sisters moved to Akron area and the family was quite prolific, so i have tons of Schueller relatives spread from North Canton thru Akron, Kent, and on up to Cleveland........
Another interesting thing is that i've found here on the message board a couple of people who mentioned a Feller family reunion in Brecksville(just south of Cleveland)many years ago. Apparently they talked Bob Feller into attending since he was in the area and shared the surname. Bob wasn't/isn't much into family history, so probably didn't know that he wasn't really related. Anyhow, many of those attending thought he was related. Any chance that may have been some of your early Ohio relatives?........
Another thing you mentioned strikes a couple more cords here. My dad's name is Francis, but he never got called Frank, as some baptised "Francis" did. Was that the case with your ancestors? Maybe that was more a German or Swiss thing than French. Following your same statement, my grandfather and his 7 sons all got typhoid from drinking from the well down by the creek. Luckily tho, they were all nursed back to health. One of their cousins has told me that her photo of Pete with others surrounding was supposedly of his death bed. He pulled thru, and eventually settled and died in the Ft Meyers, FL area....
I think that the Hudson Valley, NY Fellers you mention were probably the first Fellers in America. One of them has sent me a copy of the family tree, and offhand i'm thinking they came from somewhat central Germany. I would gladly stand corrected or enlightened if someone would post a little info on that Family.

Posted: 13 Apr 2006 2:51PM GMT
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed e-mail. My Swiss Johannes (John)Feller emigrated to America in 1853, aboard the ship Roger Stewart, sailing from Antwerp to New York City. He was 17 years old, and there were no other Fellers on the ship's manifest. I can't imagine him traveling all alone. I have all the documentation for this. Another Feller cousin of mine hired a researcher to do some Feller research in Switzerland. She came up with a few generations back, all located in the area of Zweisimmen, Canton Bern, Switzerland. I have no idea how my John Feller got to Ohio other than some unproven notes that he went to the Canton area to work for his uncle (surname Buchs). But I cannot find him in any of the early censuses. John eventually married a woman named Julia Schissler, from New York City. I'm wondering if they met when he arrived in New York and that they all traveled together to Ohio with her family. Nothing proven yet, though. They were not married until they got to Ohio, however.

I've also corresponded with another Feller whose family settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. They're also from Switzerland, but not Zweisimmen.

I don't think Bob Feller is a relative, although my uncle named one of his sons Bob Feller.

Regarding the Frank name. My father was Marion Franklin, as was his father. Both men changed their names to Frank when they were adults. Can't imagine why!!!

Regarding the Hudson Valley Fellers, I have no connection with them that I know of. They arrived about 100 years before my John. One interesting note is that an ancestor of my mom's who lived in the Hudson Valley married an Andreas Feller, way back.

If I get any more information, I will gladly share it. Are we related or is yours another Feller line?

Cindy Duffek

Posted: 22 Aug 2006 6:29PM GMT
Hi Cindy:

I am from the Stark County feller line/swiss. I am interested in your note as my line came over between 1846 & 1854. I know they usually traveled in groups. I have not been able to locate my family yet, so I thought I would investigate yours to see if yours might be a brother. My earlies ancester that I know of is Nicholas b 1814 in Bern and wife Anna Rufenocht b 1814.

Would you share a litte info on your John so I can see if I can find any clues?

Thanks so much.

Grace Feller Beltz
gbeltz1@bigplanet.com
5459 N. Clinton St
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
260-373-0873

Posted: 22 Aug 2006 6:42PM GMT
Hi Bill:

Your posting said that Feller came from 2 sources in Switzerland. Can you remember them. I am trying to connect my Stark County family to Switzerland. Anything you can remember would be appreciated.

Grace Feller Beltz
gbeltz1@bigplanet.com
5459 N. Clinton St
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
260-373-0873

Bill Feller (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2006 10:10PM GMT
hi Grace..........sorry i haven't replied sooner. I was traveling when you posted, and have since then moved to Alaska.
Looking for the Swiss Feller info, your best route i was referring to is to check out old messages on this board. Go to a message from Aug 2000 labled "Israel". Following that are a couple replies in Dec 2000 and Apr 2002 from John J Feller, JCV.......That is the info i noted.
Good luck, Bill

Posted: 2 Jan 2008 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: Feller
Hi Grace,

I don't know if I responded to you earlier about your Feller posting. You said your Fellers were from Stark County, but I don't recognize the name Nicholas. All of my info is online at rootsweb. Just pull up the database "altonnh" and you will see all of my information.

Cindy Feller Duffek

Posted: 8 Jan 2008 3:45AM GMT
Surnames: FELLER
My Jakob Feller was born 1811 in Bern, Switzerland and came to America in 1834. He settled in Holmes County, Ohio, and then eventually moved to Clay County, Indiana where he died. His widow and some of their children moved to southern Illinois after his death. I descend from their son, Samuel, born 1844. I'd be glad to share info on this family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.