Search for content in message boards

HMS Girdle Ness bell

HMS Girdle Ness bell

DAWN BELINDA BACKETT(burt) (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2004 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jul 2004 2:48AM GMT
Surnames: Burt
MY FATHER F.J.BURT SERVED ON HMS GIRDLE NESS IN 1959 IN MALTA.I WAS BORN OUT THERE .THEN LATER I WAS CHRISTENED ON BOARD AND MY NAME WAS ENGRAVED IN SIDE THE SHIPS BELL .WELL SOME TIME LATER MY DAD AND MUM GOT DIVORCED AND DAD AND I LOST TOUCH.NOW AFTER 41 YEARS HE,S FOUND ME AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE GIRDLE NESS BELL.WE ARE WONDERING IF ANY ONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHERE ABOUTS OR WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT BELL..

Re: HMS Girdle Ness bell

Posted: 5 Aug 2004 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2005 5:29PM GMT
The first task is to find what happened to the ship. Often RN ships are "mothballed" into the reserve fleet at the end of their service, then they could be scrapped or sold to another country and scrapped from there, either way ships bells were often removed prior to scrapping.

A search of the National Archive Catalogue revealed the last log of the ship [in document series ADM 53] was dated Feb 1962. Unfortunately the ship is not mentioned in any records after that date.

There are a few places where you may find help to identify the fate of the ship and/or the bell.

1] The National Maritime Museum, web site at http://www.nmm.ac.uk/ search the site or email them.

2] Maritime History and Naval Heritage site at http://www.cronab.demon.co.uk/marit.htm , scroll down to give an email contact, Michael & Jane Phillips may be able to tell you the fate of the ship and the site has links to other contact pages.

3] Maritime Books at http://www.navybooks.com/ , publishers of Warship World may be able to help or you can place a message in the magazine.

4] Navy News at http://www.navynews.co.uk/ , as above, they may be able to advise.

Good luck

PS note for future reference re board etiquette, although there may be good personal reasons, posting all in upper case is considered equivalent to shouting and such postings are often ignored.

Mike Crowe (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 10:57AM GMT
H.M.S.Girdle Ness ex Penlee Point. Built Burrard Vancouver 1943. Renamed 28.3.1945 Repair Ship Commisioned 6th September 1945. Served Home Waters 1946 - 1953 (Part of H.M.S.Cochrane 1949) Converted to Guided Missile Trials Ship 1953 - 1956, Commisioned as part of H.M.S.Cochrane 1st December 1962 at Rosyth Sold 10th July 1970 and broken up at Faslane

Hope that helps.

Mike Crowe
R.N.Shipmates
PO36 8PG

DAWN BACKETT( NEE BURT ) (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 12:36PM GMT
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THANKYOU MIKE FOR SENDING ME THIS EMAIL AND MY FATHER AND I ARE GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS AND TRY OUR HARDEST TO FIND THIS SHIP,S BELL ...THANKYOU

Mike Crowe (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 12:46PM GMT
Dawn, you might like to try a letter in Navy News in the 'can you help' column. If you are not familiar with this monthly newspaper, go and get your newsagent to order one and see the format. Ask if anyone knows where the H.M.S.Girdle Ness Ship's Bell is saying why you are interested and I feel sure you will get a response

One idea, 'if' the ship was adopted, I doubt it, but 'if', by a town or city, the bell might be there :-))

Best wishes

Mike Crowe
R.N.Shipmates
PO36 8PG

DAWN (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 12:58PM GMT
DEAR MIKE,THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH WITH YOUR QUICK RESPONSE WITH THIS INFORMATION .THIS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED ,THANKS

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 6:22PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2005 5:29PM GMT
Welcome aboard Mike, nice to have some knowledgeable input. I've been doing my best, with only the occasional input from others, to help on this and other previously neglected boards for some time now [click on my name to see my posting history].

I have often thought I should invest in some more books on the RN [I tend to use Maritime Books] or Amazon.

Hope you'll will be available to input more often.

Regards Jeff Hannan

FREDERICK J BURT. (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 11:30PM GMT
I FOUND THE BELL.

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 10:03AM GMT
Surnames: Evans
Hi, Apologies for coming very late to this forum thread. My father, Harold Evans, was also serving on HMS Girdlessness in Malta in 1960 and as a consequence I was christened on board and I believe that my name is also inside the bell. So for curiousity's sake, where did the ship's bell end up?

Posted: 23 May 2013 6:04PM GMT
So where is it?
My Father was ships coxn on board in 1959 , and the name Peers could well be the first name on the bell. Not to sure on that but the Commador told me that it was.
Regards Craig
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.