Search for content in message boards

Thoreson and Granum family

Thoreson and Granum family

Scott White (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thoreson, Granum, Sacia
I'm looking for information on my gr-gr grandparents, Sven Thoreson and Martha M. Granum. Sven was born in 1833 in Sweden and served in the Civil War here in the U.S. Martha was born in 1843 in Norway. They had 7 children (that I know of):

1 Anna Thoreson ( - )

2 Haldu Thoreson ( - ); 4 grandchildren

3 Selma Thoreson ( - )

4 Carl Leonard Thoreson (1871 - 1949)

5 Joseph T. Thoreson (1873 - 1883)

6 Alfred Byron Thoreson (1875 - 1948); 4 grandchildren

7 ? Thoreson (1877 - )

The order for some of these may not be correct.

Sven and Martha lived in Onalaska Twp, La Crosse Co. as of the 1880 census. Of this I know very little else, other than the fact Sven served the U.S. in the Civil War.

My Gr-grandfather, Alfred B. Thoreson, married Lillian Sacia in 1910.

While I do have some info Alfred and Lillian, I know very little about Sven and Martha Thoreson. Any information on either of these families would be greatly appreciated.

Scott, whites@kgs.ukans.edu

Half-way Creek

Dave Harnisch (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Heljeson, Thoreson, Harnisch, Harnish
I hope I didn't get you too excited with my reply. I wish I had something more for you.
However, it seems that we have landed in the same creek...I think. My great great grandfather(Harnish/Harnisch) lived outside of Holmen, Wisconsin from about 1865 to his death in 1912, in Johnson Coulee. I believe that this is not too far from Half-Way Creek (or maybe its the same place) and I think that there is a Half-Way Creek Lutheran Church in the same close vicinity. Is that where your relatives are buried?
My great great grandfather was Henry Harnish/Harnisch. He is buried in Onalaska, Wisconsin, but farmed in Johnson Coulee, passing away in 1912. He also served in the Civil War, but crossed over the state line to Minnesota to serve in the Minnesota Light Artillery. He spent some of his war time in the Dakota Territory.
My father and some of his siblings were born in the area of Half-way Creek as well; just up the road from my great-great grandfather's farm. This note causes me to better familiarize myself with that area near Holmen. I have driven in the area, but have not stopped at any particular site.
My great great grandmother, Rebecca Houston-Harnisch apparently disappeared from some point near Half-Way Creek and Onalaska. She was on her way to the bank to make a payment on the farm and was never seen again. Possibly, your relatives helped search for her, about 1894.
My aunt and uncle owned a farm near the church for many years. If you wish, please write me at Harnisch@Tomah.com to discuss this further. Dave Harnisch

THORESON/HELJESON of Halfway Creek

Scott White (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thoreson, Thorsson, Heljeson, Heljesson, Granum, Hesselroth
Surname: THORESON, THORSSON, OLOFSDTR, GRANUM, HELJESON, HELJESSON, HESSELROTH

I am looking for information on the family of Thore HELJESON (b. 13 FEB 1796 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden, Christened 14 FEB 1796 at Ostad, Alvsborg,
Sweden - source LDS) and Beata OLOFSDTR. According to LDS records, they had 7 children:

1 Carl THORSSON, Christened 25 MAR 1825 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden
2 Olof THORSSON, Christened 23 FEB 1827 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden
3 Anders THORSSON, Christened 9 JUL 1830 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden
4 Sven THORSSON, Christened 8 AUG 1833 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden, d. 28 FEB 1908, La Crosse Co, WI
5 Hedvig THORSSON, Christened 18 MAR 1837 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden
6 Helje THORSSON, Christened 18 OCT 1840 (OR 1847) at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden
7 Mathilda THORSSON, Christened 21 FEB 1844 at Ostad, Alvsborg, Sweden

I know little about this family, except that Sven THORSSON (eventually spelled THORESON) is my gr-gr grandfather who eventually served in the Civil War.

Sven ended up in the Holmen, La Crosse Co., WI area sometime before 1864, where he farmed. A diary he kept refers to both Oluf and Helje, whom I believe were the brothers listed above. Thore HELJESON, his father, eventually moved to the US and died in 1874 - buried at Halfway Creek Cemetery, La Crosse Co, WI.

What I don't know is when any of these folks came to the US or by what boat. Sven may have traveled with a Carl HELJESON (b. ca. 1844) (relation unknown)
and/or Erland W. HESSELROTH (b. ca. 1834), both of whom served in the Wisc. First Battery, Light Artillery unit with Sven. Both are mentioned in Sven's Civil
War diary and Carl HELJESON is listed as a pall-bearer at the funeral of Mrs. Sven THORESON (Marthe GRANUM) in 1907 at Halfway Creek, La Crosse,
WI.

Does anyone have information on the immigration of the HELJESON's and/or THORESON's?

I'd also like to get in touch with any descendents of any of the above mentioned person's.

Thank you,

Scott
Lawrence, KS
whites@kgs.ukans.edu

Lost and Found

Richard Granum (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: David
While trying to check the obituaries in the LaCrosse Tribune this afternoon, I came upon this site and your reply to Scott White's search for the lost Granum Sacia Thoreson tribes. I am 66 years old and grew up in the Holmen area, fished the Halfway Creek, and have a recollection of Tom Harnish farming in the Johnson Coulee area. I do not recall which farm was your relatives but Sherman Witte still lives and farms there and knew everyone. My how it is changing, houses everywhere. I am a winter traveler, Denver today, Florida tomorrow, but would be glad to have coffee with you and show you around. My grandfather was on the load commettee of the Bank of HOlmen, the only one at the time. I was unaware of the myster regarding your grandmother and would be interested in researching that. I live at W6795 CTHD (PO Box 326) Holmen, WI 54636 and will be back in Holmen about April 1, 2000. I assume from your email you live near Tomah WI.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic