Search for content in message boards

Augustus Nuthmann from Prussia

Augustus Nuthmann from Prussia

Posted: 6 May 2009 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NUTHEMANN, NUTHMANN, NUTTMANN
Searching for info on possible parents of Augustus Nuthmann who came from Prussia to America in about 1863-1864.

Re: Augustus Nuthmann from Prussia

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 7:20PM GMT
I am not sure... but he may be this one ...

I found the entry in the emigrants list of the Niedersachsen Staatsarchiv.

1. Nuthmann, August Heinrich Georg, Metzendorf, temporär
Harburg
2. 14. 08. 1843
4. Nuthmann, Johann Gottlieb; Nuthmann, Johanne D., geb.
Fliessmann
8. laut Urteil des Obergerichts Lüneburg vom 18. 08. 1869
als ausgetretener Militärpflichtiger verurteilt

It says:
Nuthmann, August Heinrich Georg, from Metzendorf, temporarily Harburg;
born on the 14.08.1843;
son of Nuthmann, Johann Gottlieb and Nuthmann, Johanne D., nee Fliessmann;
sentenced according to "Obergericht Lüneburg" as having escaped from his military duty

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 7:52PM GMT
Thanks for your post. I wish this was him, but am leary that is. My Augustus was born 22Aug1847. In his naturalization papers he denounces the "King of Hannover".
Is Metzendorf part of Hannover?
There is another date there, August 18, 1869, is that the date he fled or when sentenced? His arrival in America was March 1865. He joined the Union Army three days after arrival. Seems unlikely that he would flee military service is Germany just to enlist in the military here.

Family lore says he was a mercenary?? but don't know if that is true, since he would only have been 17 when he arrived in america.

Thanks for your help!

jen

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 8:55PM GMT
Yes, you are of course right ... a bit odd that he should have entered military service and fought in a war when on the other hand he had fled service in Germany...
But on other the hand.. he denounced the "King of Hannover" ... that sounds "unfriendly" ....
And - sorry about the missing translation - the second date was the date when the sentence was issued... and that could have been years later....
also he could have changed his birth date (because he had fled) or one of the dates is wrong -- I am conjecturing... :-)

And yes - Metzendorf was part of the Kingdom of Hannover. And it was just at the border to Hamburg and Holstein!!

Nowadays it is part of the township of Seevetal..

http://www.seevetal.de/internet/page.php?site=10000032&t...

You could try this link

Kirchenbuch.Staki.Hannover@evlka.de

That's the office of the Protestant Church in Niedersachsen. They centrally keep church registers. You could ask them for help checking birth dates. I am not sure about the parish. Metzendorf may have belonged to Hittfeld parish.. But perhaps they know...

Good luck in any case ... hope you'll find him...

PS: Before posting I have just checked the archive whether there are other sentenced persons (by Obergericht Lüneburg).. I found many more... several of them were sentenced on the same date 18.08.1869 and some of them had comments like "fled before physical examination" + the year... and that varied from 1864 to 1867 ..

So maybe my August Heinrich Georg is your Augustus ...????

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 2:46PM GMT
In fact, August Heinrich Georg Nuthmann was born 14.08.1843 in Metzendorf (parish of Hittfeld). His parents were Johann Gottlieb Nuthmann and Johanna Dorothea Gliesmann who had married 15.02.1839 in Hittfeld. Johann Gottlieb N. came from Hamburg. They had another son, namely Johann Friedrich N. born 26.06.1839 in Emmelndorf (also parish of Hittfeld).

Albin von Spreckelsen

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 1:40AM GMT
Albin,

Do you have anymore information on what happened to this August Heinrich Georg Nuthmann?

Thanks,
Jen

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 4:17PM GMT
Jrn,
sorry I do not have anymore informations on August Heinrich Georg Nuthmann. Details submitted to you have been gathered from the church books of Hittfeld. I shall look again in those books and reverting in case any additional informations will be found therein.
Just another question. In which document of which year it is stipulated that A.H.G. Nuthmann came from Prussia? The Kingdom of Hanover became part of Prussia in 1866 only.
Albin

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 2:35PM GMT
His naturalization took place in Nov 1865, to become an American citizen, you must denounce whatever sovereign you are from, which he states as the King of Hannover, this was Nov 1865.

It was after this, census etc that he states, Prussia or Germany. One of the census of his son Charles states his father was from Austria.

Augustus named first son Frederick Theodore and the second son was named Augustus M. Nuthmann Jr. I don't know if Augustus sr. middle name was M. or not, but it would seem likely. He also had another son Charles.

He changed the spelling of his name when he first came Nuthemann, Nuttmann and Nuthmann until finally settling on Nuthman. I have not been able to find an immigration record. He states he landed in the US three days before enlistment, which would have been Mar 11, 1865.

The connection seems very vague, I am just not sure this is the same person.

Jen

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 2:02PM GMT
Albin,

Could you please tell me what church books this information was found?

Thanks,
Jen

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 4:40PM GMT
Jen,

my information submitted to you was found in the church books of Hittfeld.
regards
Albin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.