Search for content in message boards

Andrew Jackson Rogers born about 1870

Andrew Jackson Rogers born about 1870

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rogers, Harmon, Connors
AJR is my paternal grandfather, b: about 1870, married Carrie Boldt or Borts,
my father is Duane Wellington Rogers, b: 10 Apr 1905, St Joseph, Michigan; d: 28 May 1985, New Hope, Minn; sister: Opal Rogers Connors b: 1890; d: 1972 in Calif.

Thanks, Juane Rogers Harmon

Re: Andrew Jackson Rogers born about 1870

Posted: 19 Oct 2013 2:41AM GMT
The Iowa Marriage Records as seen at familysearch.org shows this marriage record:

Andrew J. Rogers m. Carrie L. Bort, 9 October 1893 in Delaware Co. IA.

His father is shown as Roswell Rogers, his mother as Elizabeth Holcomb. Carrie’s father is shown as E. W. Bort, her mother as Sarah Matheson.

But there was an earlier marriage for Andrew J. Rogers.

Andrew J. Rogers, b. 1861 PA, married Minnie Pike, 13 April 1885, in Linn Co. IA His father is shown as Ransel Rogers, his mother as Betsy E. Holcomb.

I found one Iowa birth record. A female child was born 21 Sep 1887 in Linn Co. to Andy J. Rogers and Minnie A. Pike Rogers. This would have been Letha.

According to the 1900 Delaware Co. IA census records, Opal Rogers was born July 1890. So both Letha and Opal would have been from the first marriage of Andrew J. Rogers.

Apparently both Andrew J. and Carrie had died before 1910, although I have not been able to find death records.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:06PM GMT
You have probably done enough research to know that there are many inconsistencies in what can be found. The profile that you found for Letha M. Rogers seems to have several errors.

Here is what I found in the 1900 U. S. census and it does seem to be your family.

1900 Delaware Co. Iowa
Andrew J. Rogers, b. July 1861 in PA
Carrie L. Rogers b. March 1873, IA
Letha M. b. Sept 1887, IA
Opal V. (mistake in initial) b. July 1890, MO
Roswell R., b. Dec 1894 in IA (this is probably Roland)

Of course, your father had not yet been born.

Carrie L. Rogers father was Eli Wellington Bort, so now you know why your father’s middle name is Wellington. Eli and his wife also moved to San Diego Co. CA.

I found further information. If you would like to see it, please let me know.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 2:16AM GMT
YES, I would love more information.
Thank you so much for your help.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 3:35AM GMT
It will take me a little bit of time to get all that I have found posted, but in the meantime I do think I found the death and burial information for Carrie L. (Bort) Rogers. Findagrave.com shows Carrie L. Rogers, born 12 March 1873, d. 20 Jan 1908. She is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Joliet, Will County IL.

At the Will Co. IL Genweb site I found further information which states that this Carrie L. Rogers buried in Oakwood Cemetery was born in Iowa.

Re: Andrew Jackson Rogers born 1861

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 2:24PM GMT
I am so excited to learn about my ancestors, it's a wish come true.

Perhaps we can meet in the near future.

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 7:55PM GMT
Thank you for your nice responses. I opened your message because my great grandfather was named Andrew Jackson Rogers, but he was born 1815 in TN. So far, I do not see a connection in our Rogers lines. I live in Oklahoma, am in my mid 80’s, get around (slowly) with a walker. Genealogy research has been my fun hobby for many years, and I do enjoy it when I can help someone else find more about their family.

Here is the link to a great, free, research site. It is where I have found most of the information. I knew this site had several Iowa marriages. If you are new to using it, it takes some practice and experience to find more than you thought you could. You can click on Search then fill in what you know in the basic search site, or scroll on down until you find a link to United States. It will have many links from around the country. You will no doubt see several links that are family possibilities, you just have to check them out.

By the way, I found your birth record at this site, with all three of your given names. You have such a pretty name. I also found your marriage record. I was surprised because many of the vital statistic entries are not that recent.

https://familysearch.org/

Here is just a bit more:

E. W. Bort married Sarah Matheson, 28 April 1870, in Delaware Co. IA. At the time of the 1910 U. S. census they were living in Benton Harbor, Berrien Co. MI. (St Jospeh is the county seat of Berrien Co.) In the census information Sarah indicated that she had given birth to 2 children, with 1 still living. This does indicate that Carrie L. had died before 1910. In 1920 Eli and Sarah were living with Della, their other daughter, in San Diego, CA.

More later.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 1:37AM GMT
I will come back a little later with a bit more on the Bort line, but now I want to skip to the Rogers line.

A the time of the 1870 U. S. Census, Betsey (Holcomb) Rogers was already a widow. She and 5 of her children were living in Linn Co. IA, which borders Delaware Co.

1870 Iowa, Linn Co.
Betsie Roggers (misspelled) age 43, b. PA
All the children were born in PA
Newton, 18
Milton, 16
Burdett, 11
Andrew, 8
Sarah, 5

I have not been able to find a death date or death location for Andrew Jackson Rogers. Sometimes you can find further information on the parents by tracing one of the brothers. Someone has researched his brother, Milton, full name Milton Morrell Rogers. There is an entry found at familysearch.org, for his brother, Milton. There can be errors but this does seem to have been well researched. I hope this link comes through. If not I will post again to tell you how to find it.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/993G-78L

Milton is buried at El Reno, Canadian Co. OK. El Reno is west of Oklahoma City.

Betsey Holcomb Rogers is shown as buried at Lookeba, which is in Caddo Co. I have not been able to find an online record, but I will look some more. There might not be a marker, or it might be faded and difficult to read by now.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013 8:41PM GMT
Juane, I hope I didn’t alarm you with the amount of information that can be found online.

I think I might have found your grandfather, Andrew Jackson Rogers, in the 1920 U. S. Census.

In the 1900 census, Andrew’s occupation was given as “Traveler.” The only sense I could make of that is he must have been a traveling salesman. I found an entry in the 1920 census in Rock Island Co. IL, that might be him. The 1920 census was taken in January and he would not have had his 59th birthday by that date. He was living as a boarder in a private home, probably no relation.

Andrew J. Rogers, Age 58, b. in PA, parents both b. in PA. He was widowed. His occupation was Salesman of soft drinks. If he was a traveling salesman that could explain why he did not have his children living with him. (I have not found him in 1910.)

At Illinois Archives Database for deaths 1916-1950 is an entry for Winnebago Co., that might be the same person. No age is given so I cannot prove or disprove it. Your family does have some history in Winnebago Co. IL, so I suggest keeping this information at least for now. Maybe eventually an entry will show up showing more about this Andrew Jackson Rogers who died in 1923.

Andrew Jackson Rogers, white male, died 20 May 1923 in Rockford, Winnebago Co. IL.

At the time of the 1910 U. S. Census, Opal Rogers was living in Rockford, Winnebago Co. IL as a boarder with a woman whose name was Nellie Guion. Opal Rogers m. Wm. M. Connors 6/19/1916 in Winnebago Co. Duane W. Rogers m. Frances M. Dion, 8/01/1927 in Winnebago Co. So, thinking this might be Duane's father is not too far fetched.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Lasitar, Gardner, Davidson, Kirkland, Garrett
I don't know if this would help anyone with an Andrew Jackson Rogers. But here's the info I found on Find a Grave when looking for my GGGgrandfather, John Rogers., who had a son Andrew Jackson Rogers, by one of my GGGgrandfather's John's 4 wives.
John Rogers
Birth: Sep. 6, 1833
Rutherford County
Tennessee, USA
Death: Jul. 23, 1916
Leach
Delaware County
Oklahoma, USA

1863--CO. M, 8TH MISSOURI STATE MILITIA CAV, USA
under Cpt. John R. Kelso and Joseph J. Gravelly

John Rogers was born in Readysville, Rutherford Co., TN, to Dean Rogers and Purity Davidson. He had the following sisters: Zelpha (Celpha) Rogers, Nancy Rogers, and (Susannah) Mariah Rogers.

John was married 4 times: (1) Mary Jane Lassiter b. 1833 in TN, d. about 1862 in Mt. Vernon, Lawrence Co., MO; they were married Aug. 2, 1852 in Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN; and they had four children: Zylphia Rogers Moody Gardner, Nancy Rogers, John Rogers Jr., and Arthur Rogers. (2) Rilley Kirkland b. TN, on Feb. 13, 1863 in Lawrence Co., MO. (3) Sarah (Sally) Ann Garrett b. Nov. 5, 1844 d. 1904, daughter of Livingston Garrett and Annie England Garrett Clark; they were married in 1880 in MO. They had the following children: Andrew Johnson Rogers Sr., Mary Ann Rogers Martin; Susie J. Louisa Rogers Martin and Cherokee Martin Rogers Morton Hudson.

John married (4) Matilda Cran on 02 Aug 1852 in IT (OK).

Family links:
Children:
Zylphia Rogers Gardner (1852 - 1936)* (This is my GGgrandmother who married a Moody then was widowed and married a Gardner. She's buried in Arkansas.
Andrew Johnson Rogers (1866 - 1931)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Elm Cemetery
Leach
Delaware County
Oklahoma, USA

Created by: Alice Huitt Preston
Record added: Apr 24, 2003
Find A Grave Memorial# 7384566
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.