Search for content in message boards

WARD/MEEK

WARD/MEEK

Chris Horrell (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching William Ward and Elizabeth Meek married Jan 11, 1816. I don't have any farther back than this. I do have information on their descendants if anyone is interested.
Any help would be appreciated.

Meek and Ward

Roger DeLong (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
William Ward married Elizabeth Meek 1-11-1816. She was the daughter of William Meek. William Ward's father was Lemill Ward who married possibly Sallie Osborn.

This Elizabeth Meek is related to me and I have some old letter addressed to her kids dated 1866.

Elizabeth Meek's father was James Meek Jr. who married a woman by the name of Heilton.

William Meek married Julia Poplar and has two know boys by the name of Isaac and William Meek.

Isaac Meek M. 6-19-1828 to Sally Ward and their last child born was Exer Meek who married M.L.K. Wells, my ggrandparents. I old letters from 1866 - about 1900 from this family.

I have a lot on the Meeks and some information on the Wards if you would like to know more, let me know.

MEEK/WARD

Posted: 2 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 2:34PM GMT
The information I have is from several different sources as I am related to both Meeks and Wards.

According to an article in the Mountain Chronicle, 6/8/83 by Billie Edyth Ward: JAMES MEEK and JUDITH HYLTON are given as the parents of ELIZABETH MEEK.

Another source gives the same information. JAMES MEEK is thought to be descended from ADAM MEEK who came to America from Northern Ireland to North Carolina and died in 1828 in Tennessee. This link was not established at the time I received this information.

According to my Ward Family resources, WILLIAM WARD is shown as being the son of JAMES WARD SR, (born ca.1755 in Virginia/died 6/1808 in Floyd Co.KY) and SARAH (SALLY) OSBORN (born ca.1755 in Virginia/died after 1830 in Floyd Co. KY)

JAMES WARD SR was the son of WILLIAM WARD (born before 1730 in Inishowen Penn., County Donegal, Ireland/died in Virgina). His mother was Elizabeth (last name not given)

I, too, would be interested in more information. Thanks!

MEEK

Jane(Wallen,Lavender)Moroni (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have an album dated June 1st,1879 and was once owned by Christopher Columbus Webb(he's another story). There is in this album a lovely young lady and I presume her parents.The photos are individual...the ladys name is given only as Mrs. Dr. Meek and the mother(?) is given only as Brown. The father(?) has had a name,but it was written in pencil and is not legible anymore....he looks very much like a version of Wild Bill Coty---same hair and beard style of the day I suppose.Please let me know if this wee bit of info strikes I cord. Thanks in advance.

WARD-PRESTON-HICKS-H_LTON

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
My personal research mostly ends at Laura Ward m E.L. "Ted" Preston. Books say Laura's the dau of William Jefferson "Jeff" Ward & Sarah HICKS, according to an acticle in the Highland Echo. Ted and Laura would be my gg-gparents. Jeff Ward's parent's are more of a mystery to me as to the spelling of their names. 3 different sources, 3 different names. We have a Shadrack or Shadrach Ward, as father; a Louvina, Lovina, Levina &/or "Vina" HYLTON or HILTON, as mother. I can deal with those for now, because I thought I had it sort'a straight, but am quite confused. I had Lemill as Shadrach's father. In the 1850 census, Shadrach is 64. Am I in the right time frame? I assumed I was until now But I'm still wondering about my original theory. In notes for the 1850 census, Shadrach's parents are said to be James & Sarah (Osburn) Ward. Osborn/Osburn.. typo/tipo.. What I'm asking myself and now y'all, tho, is could James / Lemill WARD be the same person? Likewise, what about Sarah / Sallie Osborn? It fits into my tangled tree, makes sense to me, I see I'm kinda dittoing Viginnia's post, & James Lemill Ward has a nice Irrrish rrring to it..

sources: Highland Echo acticle by JB Wells III, Early Families of Eastern and SE KY by Kozee (which includes a reference to a book from 1928 on Johnson County), 1850 Johnson Co census & same census with notes by Billie Hill Mullins.

So, before I eat my toes (any more?) & since I'm newly into this, could you or someone please tell me what is/was accepted as fact about these/any/either of these lines with sources? Are any of my sources goofballs? I've learned the hard way to not always believing what I read, no offense is intended.

I would still gobble up info anyone would so generously provide as a zillion more questions are waiting to be asked

MEEK

Roger De Lon (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
I do not know anything about the picture you described.

WARD, MEEK

Posted: 3 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Roger, Since I am related to both Meeks and Wards I have questions about both. Do you have any information as to the father of James Meek, Sr? I've been told it was probably Adam Meek who came into South Carolina and ended up in Strawberry Plains, Tenn. But there is no documentation connecting him to James and William who came to KY. Do you have this information? Thanks!

WARD/OSBORN

Libby Preston (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have James, married to Sarah Osborn as being the son of William Ward. James was one of 5 children listed on World Family Tree Pedigree 3516. Other brothers were David, married to Eleanor Cecil, William married to Jane Watson, & John with no wife listed. William was listed as being born before 1720 in County Donegal, Ireland and William's father was listed as James born about 1672. There isn't any initials and I looked in the cemetery records and it only lists James. I haven't found any kind of birth record but it says he was born in Virginia.

Hope this helps.
We're trying to uncover if the originating ancestor was James Ward Sr or Lemill as records give both names as being married to Sarah (Sallie) Osborn. Do you have that info???
Thanks! Virginia

WARD/OSBORN/HYLTON

Libby Preston (View posts)
I am the ggg granddaugher of Levina Hylton & Shadrack Ward. Their daughter Levina Ward married my great great grandfather Joseph Davis. I have most of the burial information and a lot of the other information about that branch since my great grandfather William Jefferson Davislived until I was 19-he was 91. I'm on my way to work right now but will contact you after I read the other information. My email is above.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.