Search for content in message boards

The evidence that Jacob Keckley married Alice -Spilman-

The evidence that Jacob Keckley married Alice -Spilman-

Geoffrey Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2003 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kackley, Keckley, Spilman
Many posted trees state that immigrant Jacob Keckley m. Alice Spilman (1717-1805) of the Germanna colony without providing a source. Since it is not obvious how they would have met it is useful to know what the evidence is for this interesting link between the Keckleys and Spilmans (various spellings).
The main piece of evidence is laid out on p.453 of B.C. Holtzclaw, Ancestry & Descendants of the Nassau-Siegen Immigrants to Virginia 1714-1750, pub. by the Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies (1964), also known as Germanna Record #5. It is still available for purchase through the Foundation's web site: http://www.germanna.org/ . (The book has chapters on Spilmans, Fishbachs, and Heimbachs, among others, and presents German and American ancestry.)
The name "Alice Cackley" appears in connection with a 1759 Fauquier Co. lawsuit over land originally assigned to Germanna immigrant John Spilman (d. bef. 1729). John's son Jacob sued to prevent John's wife Mary from deeding the land to her sons by a second marriage to George Gent. Jacob died in 1760, but his wife and young son John, represented by Alice Cackley, "his next friend," continued the suit. The simplest conclusion is that Alice is a daughter of the immigrant John Spilman and that she is supporting her brother's family in the suit. The birthdate from her gravestone fits nicely with John Spilman's marriage to Mary shortly after they immigrated in 1714. (Note: Mr. Holtzclaw apparently wasn't aware of her birthdate and suggested that she was young John's older sister. He also confused Jacob, Sr. with his son Jacob, Jr. who served in the Rev. War. I think that the Kackley tree was still under construction in the early 1960's.)
The Alice Cackley named in the lawsuit is certainly Jacob, Sr.'s wife. To begin with, Alice Cackley was not a common name around 1760. Furthermore, Holtzclaw notes that the young John Spilman, who sold the land in 1763 that he inherited from his recently deceased grandmother Mary shortly after winning the lawsuit, moved to Frederick Co. (near the Kackleys according to the 1782 tax list). (John moved on to Hampshire Co. in 1782. A Jacob Spilman married Catherine Snapp 9/1/1782 and remained near the Kackleys. Holtzclaw believed that Jacob was John's brother, but it seems more likely that he was his oldest son.)
Young John Spilman's uncle Harman also bought and sold land near the Kackley's, though he remained in Culpeper Co.:

Northern Neck Grants (K:347) Harmon Spilman 1/14/1762 Fred. Co., VA, 358 acres on both sides of a branch of the Cabbon Creek, a branch of Hogs Creek.

Fred. Co., VA DB 11:82 6/5/1766 lease/release Harman Spelman of Culpeper Co., VA and wife Catherine to Henry Clauser, 360 acres from the Northern Neck Grant. [Note: there is a Clowser/Clauser cemetery near the entrance of the Shawneeland development, on or near Jacob Kackley, Sr.'s land.]

So there was clearly a close connection between the Kackleys and the Spilmans and it is quite plausible that Alice was the daughter of John and Mary Spilman. The problem, of course, and reason it isn't proven, is that the lawsuit says that Alice Cackley is young John's "next best friend" rather than his "aunt." Another possible problem, at least from the point of view of Holtzclaw's book, is that in the lawsuit immigrant John Spilman's wife Mary states that she had six children with John and the author identifies them, some from records and others from context. Alice is not among the six named, but perhaps the son John, b. abt. 1718 and seems to have the weakest support, could be replaced by Alice.
Given that Jacob Keckley's wife was Alice Spilman, it still leaves the question of how they met. Some suggest they were married in Germany, but it seems unlikely since Jacob Keckley and the Spilmans were from different parts of Germany. Some posted trees say instead that they were married in Lancaster, PA. It is plausible that Jacob passed through there [--does anyone have a reference to a Lancaster Co. record of him?--], but unlikely that he married Alice Spilman there. He may have passed through Germantown, Culpeper Co., VA, but that town doesn't appear to be on a likely route to Winchester. Jacob does seem to be in Frederick Co. in the early 1740's as people suggest. He seems to have been well established by the time of this 1744 record:

"Frederick Co., VA Minutes of Court Records 1743-45," by John David Davis, p.35: 4/14/1744 "p. 76, Stephen Harbsbell, Jacob Cackley, Lewis Stephens and Ellis Thomas to appraise estate of Lewis Staller."

(But so far there don't seem to be any records of Spilmans in the area until the 1760's, after the French and Indian War.)
If anyone has comments or further evidence of the Kackley/Spilman connection, please contact me.

Re: The evidence that Jacob Keckley married Alice -Spilman-

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 5:00PM GMT
I know your post is really old so hope you are still out there & can help me. I have a Catherine b abt 1776 ( my date may be wrong ) in Frederick Co Va. I have her as the dau of John Snapp Sr. & Mary Ann Windle. Is thsi the same Catherine who marr Jacob Spillman? I also have been searching for Joseph Kackley who amrr Sarah Windle dau of Jacob Windle Sr. & Elizabeth Barbara ( don't know her last name ) of Shennandoah Co. I have them b abt 1785. Any info appreicated.
Ollie

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 11:04PM GMT
As for Catherine, daughter of John Snapp and Mary Ann Windle, I haven't researched this family and can't help make the connection to Catherine who married Jacob Spillman. You may already have seen that the Ancestral File has a marriage to Joseph Thornton for the first Catherine. For the second Catherine there are posted Snapp trees, such as
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&d...
that say John Snapp and Catherine (? [others say Fry]) are her parents.

Your second request is covered in "Frederick County, Virginia: Settlement and Some First Families of Back Creek Valley 1730-1830," by Wilmer L. Kerns, Ph.D. (Gateway Press, 1995), p.221. I've attempted to set a visible e-mail address, but if that doesn't work a temporary one is: lh3prvh@drop.io. I can e-mail the few pages I have from this book.

--Geoffrey

Posted: 28 Nov 2009 2:29AM GMT
Thanks for the info on the Snapp & Kackley family. Will see if I can sort it all out.
Ollie

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Keckley, Spilman
Information on John, eldest son of Jacob and Alice Keckley, in Elizabeth Qualls book Jacob's House about the CaKaKeckley family, is that he was born July 10, 1741 in Lancaster County, PA. He is reported to have fought in the Revolutionary War in Captain John Lamb's 4th Co. 3rd Battalion Lancaster and Cumberland Militia of PA. I have never checked this information but it is given by several different sources in the book. One source says John and his wife Elizabeth Whiteman moved to Cumberland County prior to 1778. What was the Cackley connection to Lancaster or Cumberland counties in Pennsylvania? If Alice was a Spilman in Germantown, VA how would she and Jacob have met?
As for the elusive Cackley-Spilman connection, a Michael Spilman was a chain-carrier when "Jacob Catley" had his 400 acres on "Hoggs Creek" surveyed in 1751 (pg. 30 Peggy Shomo Joyner, Abstracts of Virginia’s NORTHERN NECK WARRANTS & SURVEYS - FREDERICK COUNTY - 1747-1780, vol. 2 (1985), quoted in Qualls, pg. 8). Just recently I found a 1761 tax receipt for John Spilman in a folder of Keckley receipts in the Belle Keckley Collection, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room, Handley Regional Library, Winchester VA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic