Search for content in message boards

HOHMAN, Andrew George

HOHMAN, Andrew George

Jeanie Waltz (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HOHMAN, VELKY

Andrew George HOHMAN b. 1864 in Prussia, Germany arrived USA in 1881. His parents were Joseph HOHMAN and Anna VELKY. He served in the Elite Prussian Guard before coming to America. He had 7 half-brothers and one brother. Trying to locate his place of birth in Prussia. All his half-brothers and brother emigrated to USA. Any information would be most helpful.

HOHMANN

Sandra Black (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RIMMASCH, GERLACH, HOHMANN, ANKER, EISENBLAETTER
Dear Jeanie,

Yours is the first message I have seen on the surname HOHMAN.
I have a g-grandmother whose name is Katharina HOHMANN. She was born 4 Apr 1813 in Blumenstein, East Prussia. She was married to Friedrich Wilhelm GERLACH, born 20 Feb 1811. I hope this might give you a place to start your search and maybe we might connect.

Good luck,
Sandra Black

HOHMAN

Hohman (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HOHMAN
My g-grandfather was John Hohman and had settled in the Wheeling, WV area. I do not have any info on him prior to that. He perished in a Wheeling flood around 1900.
Maybe a connection???

Re: HOHMAN, Andrew George

Posted: 12 Mar 2012 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: Velki, Velky, Szusza
My great grandmother's name was Anna Velky/Velki. On FamilySearch.org, I was able to locate her on the church records, with my great-grandfather, a death record for an infant son born August 1900. I have been desperately trying to find a "home village" for Velky, but am stumped. Velky means "great" in Slovak, so many villages in Slovakia are name Velky "something" (like Great Neck, NY I would think). Anyway, Anna's year of birth is 1875. I am waiting for a copy of her death certificate from New Castle PA records office, which will hopefully give me her mother's maiden name and I'll have more luck that way. She died in PA in 1915. According to the 1910 Census, Anna and my G'Grfather Joseph(us) Susa (Szusza in Slovakia) lived in Republic, PA. In their household, it was Joe, Anne, 3 sons (including my grandfather Steve). According to this record, Anne had had 6 children, but only 3 were living. I was able to find just 1 death record of a child, from Kluknava, Slovakia. The other two may have been miscarriages, or stillborns which may not have been church-recorded. In researching the records, Anna is the only "Velky" I've been able to locate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.