Search for content in message boards

Charles Lee Jones

Charles Lee Jones

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 12:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Aug 2002 4:46AM GMT
Surnames: Jones-Browning
I am searching for information on Charles Lee Jones who married Mary Ellen ----------, Place of marriage not known . he was born 10 January 1870 Rowan County to Stanfield Jones and Sara Fielder. he died August 12 1948, Leslie County, Ky. City Wooten age 71. Is there anyone that will do a newspaper look-up I need a obituary or someone that is related to them please contact me. Charles was a half brother to my gr.grandmother Mary Jane Jones Perkins. I would like to know if they had children and their names if there are any. it said he is buried in the Browning Cemetery. Was Mary Ellen a Browning
Contact me at mbishop@kih.net

Re: Charles Lee Jones

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2006 11:08PM GMT
Hello,

I am not related and have no information in my data base on this family. What I have provided you is from transcribed census records available for purchase from Hermina BRINKMEIER.

With regard to Mary Ellen's surname of BROWNING, I can tell you that there are 3 BROWNING families living right next to Lee JONES. Also, in reading your posting, it would definitely appear that Lee's age of 80 years was a mis-read from what is probably VERY difficult enumerator's handwriting.

The BROWNING families living nearby were:

Dwelling 140-114
BROWNING, Wilson, 53, husband, mar. 1, mar. 33 yrs, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Mahala, 52, wife, mar. 1 , mar. 33 yrs, 14 born; 6 living, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Barney, 18, son, single, b. KY
MACKLIEMORE, Sallie, 87, mother-in-law, widow, 9 born; 5 living, b. KY

Dwelling 140-115
BROWNING, Steve, 65, husband, mar. 1, mar. 47 yrs, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Deborie, 60, mar. 1, mar. 47 yrs, 14 born; 10 living, b. KY
. . Delila, 15, dau, single, KY

Dwelling 140-116
BROWNING, Andrew, 25, husband, mar. 1, mar. 3 yrs, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Louisa, 23, wife, mar. 1, mar. 3 yrs, 1 born; l living, b. KY
. . Boyd, 2, son, KY

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Re: Mary Ellen BROWNING? JONES

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 6:29PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2006 11:08PM GMT
Hello,

From the 1900 Leslie Co., this could be Mary Ellen prior to her marriage:

Dwelling 213-Wooton
BROWNING, Daniel, b. Oct 1853, 46, mar. 16 yrs, b. KY; parents b. KY
. . Rebecca, wife, b. Dec. 1863, 36, mar. 16 yrs, 6 born; 6 living, b. KY
. . Marry E., 23, b. Feb. 1877, single, KY * *
. . Jackson C., son, b. Mar 1879, 21, KY
. . Jacob, son, 16, b. Feb. 1884, KY
. . Himel?, 14, b. Dec. 1885, KY
. . Robert H., 10, son, b. Nov 1889, KY
. . Josiah, 6, son, b. Jan 1893, KY
. . Cash, 4, b. Nov 1895, son, Ky
. . Mandie, dau, age __, b. Nov 1899, KY

They are living next to Wilson and "Haley" BROWNING as listed on the 1910.

On the 1910, this same Daniel BROWNING are listed not next to but close by the JONES and other BROWNINGS and in the Wooton Creek Dist.

Dwelling 140-110 - 1910
BROWNING, Dan, 57, husband, mar. 2 times, mar. 25 yrs , b. KY
. . Rebecca, 47, mar. 1, mar. 25 yrs, 7 born; 7 living, b. KY
. . Robert, 20, son, KY
. . Joe, 16, son, KY
. . Cash, 14, son, Ky
. . Lula, 10, dau, KY
. . alpha, 5, dau, KY

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 10:52PM GMT
I think this is my person. That would be about the right date for them to Marry according to his age.On the death certificate it says he is buried in the Browning Cemetery. i sure would like to find some of this family.

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 10:52PM GMT
I think this is my person. That would be about the right date for them to Marry according to his age.On the death certificate it says he is buried in the Browning Cemetery. i sure would like to find some of this family.

Hermina Brinkmeier (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2002 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Browning
Per 1920 Leslie Co. census, ed162 house 44, Charles Lee Jones, 42, Mary Ellen 42, Maggie 13, Arzie 12, Fannie 11, Emily 8, Gordon 6 (8/26/13) and Francis 5 (10/17/14).
The birth dates for Gordon & Frances taken from KY Birth index in which Mary Browning listed as Mother. No other children were listed for Mary thru 1930.
Hope this helps verify your Browning connection to Charles Lee Jones!
Happy Searching!
PS I'm not related to either of these families

Mary Bishop (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2002 11:39PM GMT
Thanks so very much mabe I can be of some help to you.

jkmccomb (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2003 7:01PM GMT
I was raised on Wootons Creek, Leslie Co. Ky. I am related to the Brownings there although I live in Florida. The Leslie Co. Brownings descend through Jacob Browning from Virginia to Harlan Co. Ky. He was married to Sarah Clem. A part of Knox Co became part of newly formed Harlan in I believe 1819. The Rootsweb.com sight has a lot of Info on this family. I descend through Jane Browning, Jacob's daughter and James Harlan Thomas. Dan, Preston, Wilson and later Cash and Carter Browning were all raised in Leslie Co. at head of Second Fork. Sorry I don't have the time this week to check out your specific individual. However I think you can check the descendancy on this site and afterwards check for state/county records. Harlan County Website has the most Info since Leslie Co wasn't formed until about 1880 from parts of Harlan, Bell, and Perry counties

Billy Don Caudill (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2003 11:31PM GMT
I was up "ooton's" creek to Bailey Branch last week and I found a Browning burried in the Joseph cemetary. The date of death was 1875. Please contact me to exchange info. There would be very few people besides me who would have this info. Billy Don

Posted: 3 Nov 2004 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Browning, Brewer, Johnson, Pennington, Clay, Lewis
Hi,

Am very interested in your message about Jane Browning and James Harlan Thomas. I found a marriage of Jane Browning and Aaron Thomas in Harlan county and a marriage of James Thomas jr and Polly Brewer in Harlan county.... and now am confused....

I descend through Daniel Winfield Thomas born 1851 Harlan county and Harriett Burkhead born Indiana. A book written by one of Daniel's daughters or grand daughters, says that James and Mary "Polly" Brewer Thomas took the middle name of Harlan in later years (circa 1870-80s) when they had migrated to Missouri from Arkansas after the Civil War. Neither had a middle name and Harlan was where they had both been born, raised and married. James' parents were James Thomas and Polly Johnson of North Carolina. Although, I've found census material where they state b. Va and ten years later state b. NC...
Wasn't Lucinda Thomas that married John Browning also a daughter of the senior James and Polly Johnson Thomas?
Any guidance to help clarify this family's lineage will be most welcomed!!!
Thanks so much for your time
Lynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.