Search for content in message boards

Mannex/Mannix/Minogue from Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland

Mannex/Mannix/Minogue from Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mannix, Mannex, Minogue
Seeking information about my g-g-grandfather Denis Mannex. Denis was born Denis Minogue about 1844 in Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland. His mother's name was Malone (no first name known) and his father's first name is not known. From his obit notice in 1920 he spoke about his family immigrating to Australia about 1850 when he was 6yrs to join the gold diggings and they returned about 1860 to Ireland. Denis then immigrated to Australia again from Ireland about 1870 then came to New Zealand. He married my g-g-grandmother, Kate O'Brien, in 1881 in New Plymouth, New Zealand. Kate O'Brien was from Limerick, Ireland. Denis and Kate changed the family surname from Minogue to Mannex between 1882 - 1884. It appears the names Minogue/Mannex/Mannix are interchangeable so Denis may have been known as Mannex or Mannix in Ireland or Australia. Denis and Kate had 7 children in New Zealand. Denis died at 76yrs in Eltham, New Zealand. I'm interested in any informaton about the family in Ireland or Australia.

Re: Mannex/Mannix/Minogue from Scarriff, County Clare, Ireland

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 6:08PM GMT
You are the only person that has made me curious about the family name. My grandfather Michael b 1846 and his brother Patrick born 1839 and a third brother who possibly was named John and for whom I have no info came to the US in the 1850's as teenagers. Mike and Pat came to Illinois while the third brother stayed in the east. They came from County Clare. Oh, and we spell the name Manyx. Of course I do not know what the third brother might have used. I had thought with the internet I might find him but no luck. I have a letter from their Aunt Bridget Minogue from (can't read) Hospital, Scariff Union, dated 18 Nov 1894 and a letter from their mother from Derilk dated 07 Mar 1876 signed Mary Minogue. I have had no luck anywhere to find anything. I have been to Ireland twice. The first time I met a man with whom I had been corresponding who claimed to know about my family and be a very distant relative. The last time I was there in 2001 he was no longer living. His name was Paddy Purcell. I cannot be certain of his info.
As you are aware the name seems to be interchangeable with Minogue. And I have read several reasons that it depended on what part of Co Clare you came from, but it does not address why the name would change from father to son. Anyway, I suppose we might be distant cousins. Everyone else who has ever contacted me has not had ancestors that came from Co Clare or Scarriff. My tree is Manyx Family Tree and it is public if you want to check anything on it.
My grandfather died in 1896 when my father was only 10. So the info about the family was pretty scarce. My father married late in life and by the time the internet came along he was no longer living. Through the years I have gathered any info that I could from notes I made along the was with my fahter and his brothers and sisters, but other than a letter that says they corresponded with the family in the east I have never had much evidence to go on. The letter just says there were several members in the east. Good luck with your searching.

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 8:15PM GMT
Thanks Mary for your response. From your very detailed family tree it could be a possibility our Minogue's are related as they both came from the Scarriff area. It was only last year when I finally found my great-grandparents marriage certificate that the family found out the surname was changed from Minogue to Mannex after they married in 1881. The family had always been told the name was changed from Mannix to Mannex, but this is not correct. My grandfather recalled his grandfather, Denis Mannex b 1844, had come out to New Zealand via Australia and was from County Clare. It was also not until I found Denis Mannex's 1920 newspaper obit recently that we found out the family was from "near Scarriff" and had been to gold diggings in Australia in the 1850's and then returned home to Ireland. Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 9:09PM GMT
Hello Mary, I am curious to know if you have any information on the third brother who settled in the east. My Mannix line came from Scariff, County Clare and settled in Massachusetts. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paula

Posted: 9 Mar 2012 10:57PM GMT
Hi Paula,
I have been working on my Mannix family line for a year now however have had little success finding anything about the parents of my ancestor who supposedly came from Scarriff.

My g-g-grandfather, Dennis Mannex, died in New Zealand and per his obituary I found he came from Scarriff, Co Clare. The same obituary source says his parents took the family when he was six in ~1850's to Australia goldfields then returned to Ireland around the 1860's. Dennis returned to Australia ~1870 and then came to NZ 1880's and settled here.

His sister was Bidelia Mannex who married Michael Maher.

His mother's maiden name may have been Malone, according to his death certificate.

Does any of this sound familiar with your Mannix family from Scarriff?

Regards, Kim

Posted: 9 Mar 2012 11:33PM GMT
Hello Kim,
My Mannix family came in the late 1860's to Boston and settled in different areas of the state. I do not know much more about other relatives. The first Mannix that came did not have any parents listed on his death record so I can't trace him. His wife's maiden name was Touhey, Toohey. The family may have been from Tomgraney as there were many Toohey's and Mannix families living there. Sorry I can't give you anymore than that. Good luck.
Paula

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 11:41PM GMT
From what little info I have, three brothers and possibly an aunt came to the US about 1854 to either Boston or Philadelphia. My grandfather Michael and his brother Patrick came to Illinois. It is my understanding that the 3rd brother was John (althought there is a slight possiblity that his name could have been Matthew) and he remained in the east. Some old letters I have indicated that there was correspondence with them but I don't remember when the letter said that stopped, but since Patrick and Michael both died before 1900 it is hard to tell and I have not tried to locate any of those letters which said they corresponded with the easterners lately. I do remember it said there were quite a number of them and something about a daughter in Boston. On the 1860 census there is a 16 yr old Mary Manyx and it is possible that she could have been an aunt although she would have been about the ages of the brothers. I do not know when the 3rd brother was born. Some old Irishman told me there were relatives in Tomgraney and the letter I have from their mother was from Derilk. I have been told that was probably some land designation which was Derryulk. I just have not come up with anyone I thought was possibly the eastern brother. I have an OLD notation which I have no idea from where I copied it, but it seems that I thought a Family Archile #354 Passenger and Immigration Index 2000 edition might have had the three listed. I believe it is from a National Genealogical Society Book which I have not tracked down at this time. My daughter works at OCLC and she will be here in two weeks and she may be able to help me. When so much info became available on the internet I thought I would find the family very easily, but at this time, I don't believe that I am ever going to locate anyone, and I don't say that lightly. I've been to Ireland twice, I've corresponded and I've sent money to no avail. It seems there were many many Minogues in county Clare but records are scarce. The letter I got from Scariff was written by the brother's aunt.
I have no idea whether the information I got from Paddy Purcell in Ireland is correct or not. He seemed certain about what he told me and wrote me a number of letters, but as to proof, I have none. Either something is going to pop up for out of the blue or I have not a clue as to anything I might do expect I am going to try to pursue this notation thru the Nat Gen Soc in days to come.

Posted: 11 Mar 2012 11:50PM GMT
Hello Mary,
Thank you for updating me. I appreciate it. I too can not find anything about the family before they came to the USA. I am sure something will turn up some day. I just found someone on another line that I have been looking for, for ten years so I am certain something will turn up at some point with the Mannix family. Good luck with your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.