Search for content in message boards

Thomas Snowball of Duggleby, Yorkshire

Thomas Snowball of Duggleby, Yorkshire

Posted: 1 May 2009 8:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
In researching my GGGG Grandmother Mary Botterill I found the following in the East Riding Quarter Sessions

Thomas Snowball of Duggleby yeoman and John Hudson of Howsham gent. T.S. in bastardy (Mary Botterill of Scampston singlewoman). QSF/320/C/21 c1788

Mary had an illegitmate son, Snowball Botterill, in 1788 so I am assuming Thomas was the father. Snowball Botterill was my GGG Grandfather.

Does anyone have any information on this Snowball family. Duggleby is very near Kirby Grindalythe in Yorkshire and I have found a baptism for a Thomas Snowball there in 1738, but not sure if it's the same person.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks - Nikki

Re: Thomas Snowball of Duggleby, Yorkshire

Posted: 3 May 2009 8:43PM GMT
Hi Nikki
I actually had posted that info on the message board last Oct 2008 re Thomas Snowball of Duggleby and had a suspicion that Mary Botterill had given birth to Snowball as her son and given him the name of Botterill as his surname. I feel too that then Thomas Botterill is my GGGG Grandfather as Snowball born 1789 is my GGG grandfather. He married Rachel and I am descended from Maria their daughter who married Peter Stuart. Is the same family as yours do you think?
Tanya

Posted: 3 May 2009 9:33PM GMT
Yes, we have the same family, Snowball's son Thomas was my GG Grandfather - his son, also called Snowball, was my G Grandfather. Just wish I could find out more about the elusive Thomas Snowball!

Nikki

Posted: 4 May 2009 4:41PM GMT
Yes Nikki-keep me posted on the elusive Thomas Snowball. So your GG Grandfather, Thomas was my GG Grandmother's brother -she was Maria. Do you know more about the racing side of the family? I think I recall a message from you regarding this?as of course it is the centre of racing is Malton?

Posted: 4 May 2009 5:45PM GMT
Hi Tanya

I can remember my Grandma - Mary Botterill (Snowball's daughter) - talking about her father being good with horses. She also told my Mum that one of Snowball's brothers was a jockey in Holland. I haven't been able to find out which one though! My Grandma was always lucky on the horses so maybe it ran in the family!

Nikki

Posted: 4 May 2009 7:32PM GMT
And my sister has been involved with the racing world since she was about 14yrs. She only has that as a hobby now but when I told her about Snowball she was very intrigued!! Please keep me updated. Cheers. let me know if you want my email address. Tanya
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.