Search for content in message boards

Mary Foster and Nathaniel Palmer

Mary Foster and Nathaniel Palmer

Anne Sharrard (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2000 8:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2010 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: Foster, Palmer
I am looking for the death date of Mary Foster, born Nov. 18, 1760 in Hopkinton, RI, and married to Nathaniel Palmer in Hopkinton, RI October 31, 1782.

Nathaniel Palmer and Mary Foster

Becky (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2000 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2010 9:50PM GMT
Think this is the right Mary Foster,she married Nathaniel Palmer Oct 31-1782 He was born may 13 1757 and the son of Lawton and Marcy (Hall). Nathaniel died march 22 1833. I have no death date on Mary either sorry thought I did. They came to Brookfield in 1792. His will was dated 1-28-1825 naming 6 sons and 5 daughters living at that time. He served as Sgt. in the Rhode Island Unit in the American Rev. His pension began 1820. I have a few of their children, but not all of them. data from the Palmer Family in Am., Arlington Gen. Inst, Arl Va. also Hopkinton Town records for birth and marriage dates. Mary Foster was the d/o Gideon and Judith (Mumford), their children were
James, Judith b 1782, Mary (Polly)b1784-1852 m. Ross C. Button son of John Button and Anna (McCoon?), Gideon b 1785-1869m.1 Clarissa Watson, m2 Martha Burdick d/o Elias., Nathaniel 1786, Samuel 1788, David 1790, and Lawton 1791-1868. I descend from Nathaniels brother Lawton Jr. that m. Nancy Button.

Re: Nathaniel Palmer and Mary Foster

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 6:53PM GMT
I am a descendent of Ross Button and Mary Polly. I discovered this not very long ago. How exactally are you in the family? Ross daughter married Harvey Wilcox and moved to Michigan where I live. Joyce

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Palmer
I am researching the Palmer family through Lawton, Jr. and Nancy Button, specifically their son Samuel Button Palmer's line.

Samuel Button Palmer and his wife Esther Tanner had a son named Welcome Clark Palmer and I am searching for proof that Welcome was indeed a son of Samuel. They had other children of course, but this is the line I am interested in. Do you have any info that might help me? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have searched in both New York, where the family lived, and in PA, where Samuel and Welcome removed around 1840. There is no will for Samuel, and no marriage record for Welcome. We have a death record for Welcome but father's name is listed as "Palmer" and mother as "Unknown", so no help.

Thank you,
Loree Davis

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Palmer, Tanner
Hello Loree,

The obituary of Samuel B Palmer can be found in the: “The Sabbath Recorder Vol 39, No.45, p 8, dated Nov 8, 1883.” The obituary states that Samuel leaves four children, one of which is Welcome Palmer of Iowa. For a copy of the obituary you can contact the Seventh Day Baptist Historical Society in Janesville, WI.

I descend from Welcome Clark Palmer and have done extensive research on the Palmer and Tanner lines. The Palmer line can be traced back the William Palmer of the Flagship Fortune 1621. The Tanner line has been traced back to George Soule of the Mayflower 1620.

Good luck,
Dorothy

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 4:05PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2010 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Palmer, Potter, Lanphear, Moner, Congdon
Hi!
Burial of Nathaniel and Mary was in Palmer Family Lot " Located 20ft east of Woodville-Alton Road ate telephone pole #23 65ftx 90 ft in good condition,....",. Quoted by Hopkinton Cemtery Book put out by two fine ladies from my town.
My lineage is Judith /Judeth Palmer (Clarke Potter)
Clarke Aldrich Potter (Belinda Lanphear)
Harriet Davis Potter (Erastus D. Miner)
Flora Dean Miner (Abram Eugene Congdon)
Harriet Elizabeth Congdon
(James Bard Bill)
Ruth Carolyn Bill
(Robert Scott Hirst)
Scott Bill Hirst,myself
It should be known Nathaniel and his father Lawton qualify descendants for the DAR/SAR and other American Revolution type groups.
Relatively yours,
Scott Bill Hirst

401-377-4643
scottbillhirst@yahoo.com
20 Maple Court
Ashaway,RI 02804

P.S. Nathaniel is descendant of William Palmer of Little Compton, Rhode Island NOT Walter Palmer of Stonington, Connecticut. I have very many Walter Palmer lines.

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 4:16PM GMT
Hi again!
The cemetery I mentioned is easily accessible off Interstate#95 through Exit#2 in Hopkinton, R.I., going east on Woodville-Alton Road. A gof course is across the road. The problem is parking as cemetery on the road. Nathaniel and Mary are here. Nathaniel was Sgt. in the American Revolution era.
I am active in town's historical association in Hopkinton and past president. I grew up in Hopkinton.
Relatively yours,
Scott Bill Hirst

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 4:47PM GMT
Hi Scott

I have Nathaniel and Mary Palmer buried in “Palmer Family Lot on Woodville Alton Road in Hope Valley, Washington Co. Rhode Island.” Is Hope Valley in Hopkinton?

Thank you,
Dorothy

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 6:16PM GMT
Surnames: Palmer
Dorothy, thank you, thank you, thank you!

This was the last piece of evidence I needed to prove that Samuel was the father of Welcome. I have now connected, with documentation, eight generations of Palmer's needed for my friend's membership into the Daughters of the American Revolution, starting with the present generation and going all the way back to Lawton Palmer, Sr. But we were missing something to prove that Samuel was the father of Welcome. And thanks to the Madison Co., NY Historical Society, who informed me that the Palmer's were Seventh Day Baptists, which we did not know.

Again, thank you for letting me know about the obituary for Samuel Palmer--you have helped me crack the case!!!

Loree

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 6:26PM GMT
I am a member of DAR and have been helping a descendant of Lawton Palmer, Sr. (via Lawton, Jr., via his son Samuel, via Samuel's son Welcome Clark Palmer) with the gathering of documentation on this family so that she can join DAR. We now have proof, linking her all the way to Lawton, Sr., who was a signer of the Association Test in Hopkinton, RI.

Although Lawton did not do active combat, signing this "oath" qualifies him as a patriot, according to DAR membership rules. However, you must have actual documentation linking every generation from the present all the way back to Lawton, Sr.

No one has gone through Lawton, Jr.'s son Samuel's line before, in regards to membership in DAR, but we're in the process of doing that now, through Samuel's son Welcome, I'm happy to report!

Loree Davis

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.