Search for content in message boards

Franklin, Harris, Headley, Powell marriages

Franklin, Harris, Headley, Powell marriages

Martha Malone Davis (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2002 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2008 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin, Powell, Headley, Hathway, Powell, Harris
I cannot yet make all the connections but perhaps you will? I would like to find death/burial for 'Betty' Elizabeth E. Franklin Powell...
Wilson FRANKLIN b. 1752 in Rehoboth, MA m. Elizabeth PERRY on 5201/784 in Rehoboth, MA.
Children : Joseph 1785, Esther, 1786, Nathan 1793, Calvin, 1795, and Hiram b. 1828 in Ohio.
Joseph, Nathan, and Calvin were early Noble Co., OH settlers. Nathan and Calvin married sisters, Experience and Rachel HEADLEY, daughters of John Cary HEADLEY and Mary HATHWAY...implies Headley family were also in OH but I have not researched this.
My line descends from Nathan + Experience (Headley) Franklin's daughter, 'Betty' Elizabeth E. Franklin, who married my gg-grandfather Simon POWELL about 1850 (left for Wisconsin about 1859.) Simon's parents Isaac POWELL+ Anna HARRIS also were early settlers (abt 1799) in Noble Co,OH. The HARRIS children's marriages tied them to the Powell family through four children. Isaac Powell's brothers, James and Samuel, married Anna Harris' sisters, Mary 'Polly' Harris and Hannah Harris respectively. Isaac's sister Elizabeth Powell married Elijah Harris, brother to Anna, Mary 'Polly', and Hannah Harris. And Stephen Harris, another brother to Anna, Mary 'Polly', Hannah, and Elijah, married Mary HEADLEY, sister of Experience and Rachel Headley.

Re: Franklin, Harris, Headley, Powell marriages

Posted: 4 Dec 2002 6:09PM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2008 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Headley, Hathaway
Martha, in reply to your post of 19 Oct 2002:

>>Nathan and Calvin [Franklin] married sisters, Experience and Rachel HEADLEY, daughters of John Cary HEADLEY and Mary HATHWAY...implies Headley family were also in OH but I have not researched this.<<

Yes, this Headley family was in Ohio. John Cary Headley died in Enoch Township, Monroe County, OH, just east of Noble County. His Revolutionary War Pension application says he came to Monroe County abt 1814, and lived there until he died in 1839 (according to his widow's subsequent pension application). The pension applications also state that John Cary Headley was born in Morris County, NJ in 1760; removed to Washington County, PA in 1788; removed to Virginia in 1800; and finally to Monroe County, OH abt 1814.

The pension applications also give birthdates for all of John Cary & Mary Hathaway Headley's children. Experience Headley's birthdate is given as 20 Dec 1795, and Rachel Headley's is given as 11 Aug 1801.

If you're interested, I have much more Headley info online at http://www.gencircles.com/users/gheadlee/1 . I don't have a lot on this particular branch of the family, however; they are very distant cousins to my main Headlee/Headley line.

Hope this is useful!

Posted: 1 Apr 2003 6:42AM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2008 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin, Powell
Dear Gail,

I have been away from this for quite some time, but just read your post and want to thank you for the information. Experience Headley Franklin was mother of 'Betty' Elizabeth Franklin, She married Simon Powell and refused to allow any of her many children, except my grandmother, to marry before turning 18. Apparently Betty married very young and decided her own children would grow up first. Betty and Simon's were progressive parents who did not use titles of position/authority such as mom/dad or mother/father. Their children addressed them by their given names. One family legend describes Simon leaving Betty with five children in Wisconsin. While he was away fighting during the Civil War. the Indian uprisings caused her to defend their homestead. She reportedly cut off the heads of 17 Indians before they were frightened away. Eventually they followed their children to Idaho and settled in Clayton, WA. I have a record of his death but none for her.

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 6:16AM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2008 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin
Elizabeth "Betty" Franklin died in Spokane, Washington, but I do not know where she was buried. I will look again at the family gravesight in Lenore, Idaho.

Posted: 25 Sep 2008 7:23AM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2008 1:22PM GMT
She was buried in Sagle, Idaho. There is a huge question about who her mother was. Everything thinks it was Experience Headley, but Elizabeth was born 2 years after her father married Mary Polly Wells. Can anyone help me on this?

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 7:02PM GMT
Soldier married Mary Hathaway in Mendham Township, Morris County, New Jersey. She applied for pensions October 27, 1840, giving her age as 70. Children, Issac born 8-5-1788; Sarah born 6-20-1791; Huldah born 9-16-1793; Experience born 12-20-1795; Phebe born 1-16-1797; Francis born 5-15-1799; Rachel born 8-11-1801; Mary born 10-5-1803; Carey born 6-15-1805; Susanna born 1-16-1808; Catharine born 8-11-1811. Samuel Fordyce and Cornelius Okey both declared they knew the soldier in service.

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 7:03PM GMT
This info is from Cary's war records. As you can see, they never had a daughter named Elizabeth. Experience dieds before 1850 and Nathan married Mary "Polly" Wells in Nov., 1831. They had 4 children that I actually located, Elizabeth 1833, Orinda (F) 1836, David 1839 and Eliza 1844.

Posted: 13 Nov 2010 12:12AM GMT
Surnames: Headley, Franklin, Powell
Nancy, you're absolutely correct. John Cary Headley m. Mary Hathaway, and they did not have a daughter Elizabeth, but they did have a daughter Experience. In 1817 Experience m. Nathan Franklin And she had a daughter named Elnora Elizabeth Franklin. She was known as 'Betty' rather than Elizabeth to her children and grandchildren.

Betty's birth record is inconsistent with records shown online, but is recorded in a Powell Family Bible that came to me from my great-grandfather Cortez Powell, who was the son of Simon Powell and (Elnora) Elizabeth Powell - they married 1851 in Wisconsin. Simon and Betty migrated westward to Minnesota 1879, and later followed their children to Washington 1889 and then Idaho 1897.

Hope this clears up our claim to the Headley relationship, though I will continue to search for birth records. The 1830 census of Enoch, Noble Co, OH shows Nathan Franklin with five sons, one daughter, and a woman age 70-80. By all appearances Experience was not at home at the time of the census, or already deceased. By 1840 Nathan is married to Mary, and it appears that Experience b1833 was born to Mary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.