Search for content in message boards

Camberwell cemeteries - how to find where someone is buried.

Camberwell cemeteries - how to find where someone is buried.

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 3:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I have certified copies of entries of death for 1920 and 1959 for North East Camberwell, how can I find out exactly where they are buried?
Thanks!

Re: Camberwell cemeteries - how to find where someone is buried.

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 6:19PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
This is the website for Camberwell Old Cemetery http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200073/parks_and_open_space...

If you have no luck there you might try West Norwood Cemetery http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/cemetery/
Note that the online database lists re-used graves only.

I suggest emailing the cemetery rather than phoning, so they can look it up when they are not busy. When you find the graves, you might like to create online memorials for them on Findagrave. You would then be able to request photographs of the grave sites.

Good luck!

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 2:19PM GMT
Thanks very much, will get on to it.
Rgds,
Patricia.

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 2:15PM GMT
I would just add a word about "finding" graves and/or getting photos. In many of these old cemeteries there are areas where the cemetery became very neglected and the gravestones were removed, with those that were intact perhaps being ranged round the edges of a grassy area. My grandmother and sister were both buried in West Norwood and the cemetery office had the record and gave me a plan showing where the grave was, but the whole area had been "tidied up" and was nothing but a grassy lawn area with some headstones forming a frame round it. I could more or less work out where the grave "was" but there was nothing to photograph, or even see. Pity, but there it is.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.