Search for content in message boards

John McGUINNESS - Co. Monaghan

John McGUINNESS - Co. Monaghan

Posted: 21 Oct 2009 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2009 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: McGuinness, Crorkin, Lennon
Hello,

I'm seeking any info anyone may have on John McGuinness (my g-grandfather - born in/around 1862 in Monaghan, Ireland. As of 1911 he lived in Toome, Doohamlet, Castleblayney, Monaghan (Clontibret parish) with his wife Mary (Crorkin?) and children Mary Catherine (b. 1904), Margaret (b. 1907)and Ellen (b. 1910.) Later he had Sarah/Sally (b. 1913) and believe two sons, Eugene and Kevin.)

He may have had a male sibling (Henry) who married into the Lennon family of Garryduff (Latton parish.)

Thanks!
Chad

Re: John McGUINNESS - Co. Monaghan

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 5:30AM GMT
Did these people immigrate to the US? There were several McGuinness familys from Co. Monaghan, who has immigrated to Pawtucket Rhode Island in the late 1800s, early 1900s. There was also a Henry Lennon married to a Letitia McGuinness from Co. Monaghan living in Pawtucket.

Posted: 23 Dec 2009 3:57AM GMT
Surnames: McGuinness, Lennon, Hanley
Hi - Thanks for your response. John McGuinness' daughters Ellen and Margaret (my grandmother) emigrated to Pawtucket/Providence - and yes, they were both nieces to Letitia (McGuinness) Lennon and Henry Lennon, who emigrated to RI a couple of decades earlier. In fact my grandmother boarded with Letitia and Henry upon her arrival.

I am assuming that John McGuinness and Letitia were siblings, but don't have any concrete confirmation of that (and don't have any specific info about their parents.)

That you are aware of, are to related to the Henry/Letitia Mcguinness family?

Thanks again for your response.
Chad

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 3:04AM GMT
Hi there! Sorry it took awhile for me to get back (holidays).
For about 10 years, I have researched (on and off) all the McGuinnesses of Pawtucket. My grandfather was William Joseph McGuinness (b. abt. 1904). His parents were Helen V. Collins and supposedly, James McGuinness. William's parents were born in Ireland. I can't get passed them! James disappeared and I have discovered that my great grandmother, Helen had lived with a Swedish immigrant for 15 years! They never married. My grandfather William, grew up with them and he was the only child in that household. There was a James and Ellen McGuinness living in Pawtucket in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. They had 2 or 3 children. I found, at least, one had died as a toddler. I believe that particular James died in 1902, which may rule him out as my grandfather's father. There were 3 James McGuinnesses in Pawtucket at that time (1895-1902). I ruled out one all together. There was another James living with a McQuade family, who disappeared in 1903. Helen could be Ellen, because names were often mixed up, because of accents, spelling errors etc. Both Helen and Ellen often used the nickname Nellie. I do know that a Thomas McGuinness lived in the same area as the Lennons and he was Letitia's brother too. All in all, I'm still trying to figure out where James McGuinness and Helen V. Collins fit in. My grandfather doesn't have a Pawtucket or Rhode Island birth record. Yet, he claimed that he was born in Pawtucket. They lived in the same corner of Pawtucket as your Lennons and McGuinnesses, so there may have been a connection. I still need to work on it. It has not been easy! My grandfather claimed he was an orphan! I think, he just didn't want to talk about it.

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 3:25AM GMT
I'd also like to add that Letitia McGuinness parents names were Philip and Letitia McGuinness. She married James "Henry" Lennon on July 20, 1899. His parents were Patrick and Julia.

It looks like Thomas J. McGuinness was Letitia's brother. His parents were Philip and Leitia McGuinness too. He died at age 39 from Hepatic Cirrhosis, Aug. 4, 1913 (or possibly 1915, because handwriting is hard to read)

This info was from the Pawtucket City Hall Records Office.

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 3:45AM GMT
Here's some more info (I have a lot of notes): Thomas Joseph McGuinness (Letitia's brother) married Sarah Stanislaus Flanagan on Nov. 1903.

There was a John McGuinness (b. 1866), who married Jane McGee (b. 1864) on April 1901. John was from County Monaghan. John and Jane both died in 1939. They are buried at Mount St. Marys Cemetery. Are they related to your family?

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 4:03AM GMT
I found another note! Kate McGuinness, age 22, married John Riley, age 21. Kate's parents were Philip and Letitia (nickname, Letty). For some reason, I didn't put a date down, but it was listed between marriage dates of 1897 and 1899.

This info was from Pawtucket City Hall too.

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 3:16AM GMT
Wow - thanks again for your responses.

I don't think that the John McGuinness (b.1866) that you have in your notes is related to mine. By all accounts my John (my ggf) was born and died in Co. Monaghan.

As for your claiming that he was an orphan - I've run into similar shady/shenanigans on my familys' papers (claiming to have been born in Belfast instead of Monaghan - emigrating to the US under others' names, etc. It may have worked for them back then, but it sure makes it tough for us to piece together the history.

I'm going to pull apart your notes and see if there are any confirmed matches in my tree. Thanks again for providing all that info. Happy new year!
Chad

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2010 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: McGuinness, Lynch, Hanley, McMahon, French, Duffy
Just to make you aware that Sally and Margaret (Peg) McGuinness went to Pawtucket, (Sally married Steve Lynch, and Margaret married Charles Hanley) but the family did not have enough money to send all there, so Ellen and Eugene both went to the North East of England (Ellen, my grandmother married Ross McMahon, who passed away and then she re-married Henry Carr French). Mary (Mamie) stayed in Ireland and married to become a Mamie Duffy living in Ballybay. I know this to be fact as the DOB of 1910 for my Grandmother Ellen ties this all down nicely and I personally met Margaret and Sally in Pawtucket in 1982. I knew Eugene extremely well too. Kevin stayed in Ireland as a farmer, I believe at Castleblayney, and I used to help herd cattle on his farm when on holiday there as a youngster in about 1969 !!

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 10:10PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2010 6:53AM GMT
Surnames: McMahon, McGuinness, French
Sorry,
Should have told you that my Dad is Kevin McMahon, by Ross and Ellen McMahon, one of several brothers (Ross, John, Gerard, Philip, James, Nicholas) and my name is Paul (born 1959). I have a brother called Patrick (born 1965).

The 'missing' side of my family history is that of Ross McMahon, who I think died around 1940. His original wife before Ellen was called Jane, and I believe that Ellen was the blood mother to Nicholas and Kevin, but she took on the other older brothers as her own after their blood mother Jane died leaving Ross with them and no wife.

Another amazing man in my life was Henry Carr French who took on ALL of those children when he married Ellen after the death of Ross.

I would be very grateful for any leads on Ross McMahon, my suspicion is that Ellen was sent to England to marry Ross after the death of Jane, so I believe that Ross McMahon came from the same area as the McGuinesses of County Monaghan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic