Search for content in message boards

Osborne - New Zealand

Osborne - New Zealand

Posted: 2 Jun 2009 9:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Osborne
Hi,

I'm interested in any information about George Osborne who arrived in New Zealand 30 Sept 1874 on the Christian McAusland. Looks like he came here with his wife Eliza and son George.

I suspect he could be the brother of my g-g-grandfather, Ephraim Osborne, but I cannot find any details about any of them.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Osborne - New Zealand

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 1:45AM GMT
Anna

I'd love to find he is my missing George Osborne. I last have a reord of mine, age 18, on the 1871 census in Sevenoaks, Kent. After that, nothing, no census, no death.

Do you know when he died in NZ? Our death certificates have much more detail on them than those from the UK, often including how many years in NZ, when and where married, and fathers name, occupation etc.

Nigel Osborne
Ngaruawahia

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 5:15AM GMT
Hi Nigel,

I wish I could tell you this was your missing George! However, on the passenger list for the Christian McAusland he is 30 years old. The only other details I have are those from the Passenger list. http://web.archive.org/web/20020924052443/www.users.globalne...

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope you find your George :)

Anna.

Posted: 3 Jun 2009 5:48AM GMT
Never mind, at least I think can help you find yours.

In 1871 George's in London (Hackney), living with a brother Albert. George is 26 yrs, a Shoemaker, born in Norwich, Norfolk - which all ties back exactly to that shipping manifest.

My guess is that his birth will be this:
Births Dec 1843 Osborn George Norwich 13/253

and Ephraim's will be:
Births Dec 1856 Osborn Ephraim Norwich 4b/99

In 1861 Ephraim, I'm pretty sure, is with his parents George & Harriet (nee Warnet, married Jun qtr 1843, Norwich 13/406), in Norwich. Brother Albert is there as well. George isn't far away - staying with his maternal grandparents.

Of course there's a certain amount of conjecture in all this, but a couple of certficates would confirm if I'm right. Email me on admin@our-families.info if you'd like me to send you the census pages.

Nigel

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Have recently discovered two deaths aboard the Christian McAusland with the surname Osborne, one Emma 2 days old the other Harriet Adelaide at 17 months. As my fathers aunts was a Harriet Adelaide and her sister Emma Elizabeth, I thought there might be a larger family connection. I am researching my Osborne lineage from Norfolk, back back to William Osborne bn.1770 agricultural workers and basket makers. I have a lot of information regarding Norfolk Osbornes.
Robert Osborne
bob.os@live.com

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 2:28AM GMT
hi my great great great grandfather was George Osborne born around 18919 in Norfolk who married harriet warnett and had son ephriam I think it was ephriam who came out on the mccushland ship with his wife emma shorten if you have any further information on that family that would be great
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.