Search for content in message boards

1870 Federal Census in New York City - MAPS?

1870 Federal Census in New York City - MAPS?

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 9:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to determine if an entry in the 1870 US Census for New York City is my relative. I know where he lived, and the person matching his name in the 1870 Census is in New York Ward 12 District 12, but there are no street names on the original records. Does anyone know where I can find a map or description of the wards/districts so I can figure out if this is my relative?
Thanks!

Re: 1870 Federal Census in New York City - MAPS?

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 1:30PM GMT
You asked this question last year and Joel gave you a response. Did you use the information he gave you and fail to identify the address?

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.census.us.general/4838.1/m...

What is the name and location in the census and what address are you trying to match it to?

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 3:44PM GMT
Thanks. I don't know that I ever saw that response.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 3:50PM GMT
I'm not sure that map is correct. It doesn't look like it covers enough of the city. I also found this map, which shows a much bigger area of the City represented by district 12, and it's in a completely different area. http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~30...
I have a feeling that the map in the post is one particular district, divided into wards, but not the 12 district.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 9:29PM GMT
The 12th ED of the 12th ward was an area bounded by 114th St on the south and 120th St on the north. From Third Ave. to Eighth Ave.

What is the name from the census? Perhaps they can be cross-checked with a city directory to see if they are in the right neighborhood.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.