Search for content in message boards

Talbott's in KY/VA/MD

Talbott's in KY/VA/MD

JLG Delph (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2003 12:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Talbott
Looking for any information on James(Jim) Talbott(Tolbert) from the coal camps of Lee/Wise Co, Va. He married Lula Clifton and had the following children: Ralph Taggart, O'Dale, Castle, Evie, Floyd, Gladys in Lee/Wise Co, Va. Kids were born between 1930-40. (Ralph and O'dale were born in Harlan, KY). There are relatives from this family in Maryland but I can't make the connection.
I need information on my great grand parents James (Jim) and Lula (Clifton) Talbott. They lived in Evarts--Harlan Co, Ky around 1925-1935. They had two sons there, my grandfather Ralph L in Aug 1928 and Uncle Evart Odale in 1930. They later move across Black Mtn into Wise Co, Va following the Coal mining work. James would have died before 1965 and Lula before 1970. I have no information past this generation and am desperate. Other kids were Floyd, Castle, evie and Gladys. Possible ties to Tennessee prior to KY and VA.

Re: Talbott's in KY/VA/MD

Posted: 12 Sep 2003 4:43AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2005 8:57PM GMT
You can get James' and Lula's death certificates if you know where they died and sometimes, depending on who gave the information to the mortuary, you can get where the person was born and what his/her mother's maiden name was and where his/her parents were born. You can look at the 1930 census for Harlan County and that will give you info on them such as birthplace, etc. Ralph and Evart's birth certificates should tell where their parents were born.

Posted: 2 Jan 2005 8:39PM GMT
Lula Clifton Talbott was the sister of my grandmother, Vola Pelfrey. She was the daughter of Samuel Lester Clifton and Eva Brown. Her siblings were: Sam, George, Vernon, Oma, Nosie, Vola, Smith, and Bonnie, not in this order. They have all passed on.
Ralph T. Talbott, b. 1928, d. 1993, is buried in Powell Valley Memorial Gardens, Wise, Virginia. Listed along with his name is Barbara A. Talbott.
I did not locate any other Talbott members in this cemetery, nor in Glencoe Cemetery in Big Stone Gap, Virginia. I will also ask my mother, who is the oldest living child of Vola, and I will post this info.

Posted: 20 Jun 2007 7:17PM GMT
i am the daughter of ralph and barbara talbott of lee county virginia my sisters r patricia ann diana lynn glenda joyce phyliss jean and we have one brother ralph leanord talbott james and lula were my grandparents they r buried in glenco cementry at big stone gap va i know i was there when they were buried.i rem great granny cliffton i rem bonnie sam viloia i was a small child but i rem them.i have two sons ralph william christopher delph and james leslie george delph.would love to know what more u have found out. thank u janie delph

Posted: 21 Jun 2007 3:54AM GMT
Aunt Bonnie lived with my mother in South Carolina for a little while until she moved to California, where she died in 1991. Uncle Sam died in 2003 at Lonesome Pine Hospital. Uncle Edgar died in 1980 in Richmond, Va. He was never the same after WWI. I remember knowing about him but I don't remember ever seeing him except for a picture. He looked like Grandma Clifton. Uncle Vernon died in 1979 in Appalachia, Va. Uncle George died in 1987, Big Stone Gap. I don't have the death date for Smith, Oma, Nosie, or Lula. Grandma Clifton died in 1961 and she is buried in Powell Valley Cemetery.

I remember Uncle Jim a little. He was tall, I think. Aunt Lula (Lulie) was a very petite woman. I don't remember much about her except that I liked her.

My mother is the second child of Vola Clifton and Oscar Pelfrey. Her sister, Alice, was the oldest. She died in California. Next came Kathleen and Winfred, who both died as young children. Next came Bill, Mina, and Rita, who all live in Virginia.

I am Gloria, only child of Walter Jones and Azzalee Pelfrey.

My children are Kim and Gerald.

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 2:00PM GMT
i am the granddaughter of lula and jim talbott mamaw passed away in march of 1970,she and papaw r buried at big stone gap va.my name is janie ruth talbott delph i am the daughter of ralph talbott,and barbann laws,the children of ralph and barb are patricia ann,janie ruth,dianna lynn,glenda joyce,phyliss jean,and one son ralph leanord talbott,hope to hear from u soon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.