Search for content in message boards

Edgar A. Guest

Edgar A. Guest

Posted: 23 Jul 2004 9:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Guest
would like any information on Edwin and Julia (would like maiden name) Guest. They are parents of poet Edgar A. Guest, lived in Birmingham, England until emigrating to US and settling in Detroit

Re: Edgar A. Guest

denise (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2004 10:49AM GMT
HI

You don't give any dates but in the IGI there is an Edwin Guest married to Julia Wayne 1880.

denise (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2004 10:56AM GMT
here is the 1881 census info for the family

Household:

Edwin GUEST Head M Male 36 Birmingham Silversmiths Clerk
Julia GUEST Wife M Female 52 Nottingham, England
Harold E. GUEST Son Male 14 Birmingham Commercial Clerk
Sidney J. GUEST Son Male 7 Birmingham Scholar
Florence J. GUEST Dau Female 5 Handsworth Scholar
Percy M. GUEST Son Male 3 Handsworth
Elizabeth POOLE Servant Female 16 Birmingham Domestic Servant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling No 3 Beacon Terrace
Census Place Handsworth, Stafford, England
Family History Library Film 1341679
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2835 / 58
Page Number 11

Posted: 26 Jul 2004 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: guest
Thank you, I feel that this is correct. The fact that he had a sister named Florence explains the naming of a daughter , Florence Dorothy, who died as a child. Also I believe Percy was early partner in printing his works as he , Percy was a printer. Thanks

Posted: 4 Sep 2004 9:03PM GMT
Here is a biography that mentions his brother Harry:

Edgar Guest was born in Birmingham, England, on August 20, 1881, to Edwin and Julia Wayne Guest. The family settled in Detroit, Michigan, in 1891. When Edwin lost his job in 1893, eleven-year-old Edgar between working odd jobs after school. In 1895 he was hired as a copy boy for the Detroit Free Press, where he would work for almost sixty-five years. His father died when the poet was seventeen, and Guest was forced to drop out of high school and work full time at the newspaper. He worked his way up from a copy boy to a job in the news department. His first poem appeared on December 11, 1898. His weekly column, "Chaff," first appeared in 1904; his topical verses eventually became the daily "Breakfast Table Chat," which was syndicated to over three-hundred newspapers throughout the United States.

Guest married Nellie Crossman in 1906. The couple had three children. His brother Harry printed his first two books, Home Rhymes and Just Glad Things, in small editions. His verse quickly found an audience and the Chicago firm of Reilly and Britton began to publish his books at a rate of nearly one per year. His collections include Just Folks (1917), Over Here (1918), When Day Is Done (1921), The Passing Throng (1923), Harbor Lights of Home (1928), and Today and Tomorrow (1942).

From 1931 to 1942, Guest broadcast a weekly program on NBC radio. In 1951, "A Guest in Your Home" appeared on NBC TV. He published more than twenty volumes of poetry and was thought to have written over 11,000 poems. Guest has been called "the poet of the people." Most often, his poems were fourteen lines long and presented a deeply sentimental view of everyday life. He considered himself "a newspaper man who wrote verses." Of his poem he said, "I take simple everyday things that happen to me and I figure it happens to a lot of other people and I make simple rhymes out of them." His Collected Verse appeared in 1934 and went into at least eleven editions. Edgar Guest died on August 5, 1959.

Joan (Guest) Burnett (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2005 3:45PM GMT
My grandfather, Willard Ronald Guest, grew up in Ferndale, Michigan, just outside Detroit; I am also trying to find where the family tree goes also. I know he had an uncle named, Jarvis, and there was something regarding the names of the streets in Ferndale that were name after some of the children.
Edgar Guest also had a brother Harry who was also a writer as well and was well-known in his own rights.

Posted: 3 Dec 2008 10:12PM GMT
I am not directly related to Edgar A. Guest, however I have a lot of relatives (Guests) in the Detroit area. Florence was a familiar name. Let me know if you are interested in my info.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 2:15PM GMT
I'm sorry for not replying until now; I have found that a lot of the Guest family did settle in Ferndale, Michigan, naming many of the streets near 9 Mile Rd. after the children: Otis, Robert, Pearl, Jarvis, Harry, Granet, Meyers, Madge, Evelyn, Maxlow, Elva, Bernhard, Milton, Hayes, George, and Muir. I did find a Christine Guest in Gross Pointe, MI, and a Carol Guest in Gross Ile, Michigan of whom I will be calling later today to find out where everyone is at if possible. There is a Adrain Guest in Pinckney, MI, where my grandfather, Willard Raymond Guest resided in Chelsea, MI. Adrain is currently 98 years old. My grandfather died in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 2007, at age 93. His wife, Viola (Pucak) Guest died in Florida, on December 25, 2002. There is a George Guest in Ferndale, MI, but could not find a phone number for him, and a Thomas Guest, no number; there is also a Marguerite Guest in Memphis, MI, who is currently age 90. Will be doing further checks for the last name in the above mentioned cities.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Guest Wayne
Julia (Edgar's mother) was Julia Wayne, daughter of Joseph Blount Wayne and Elizabeth (don't have a last name yet). After all immigrating done they and 6 children settled in Detroit. Edwin died 1899 and Julia in 1932

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 12:47PM GMT
Thank you for this information. I know there are at least 12 streets with the names of Guest children and cousins. They run from north to south in Ferndale, Michigan. The street names are Otis, Pearl, Robert, Jarvis, Harry, Granet, Meyers, Madge, Evelyn, Maxlow, Elza, Bernhardt, Milton, Hayes, George, and Muir. They are avenues just north of 8 Mile Road and they sit between Hwy. 1 and Interstate Hwy. 75.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.