Search for content in message boards

Robert Clarke, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada

Robert Clarke, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 31 Aug 2009 12:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clarke, Clark, Duffy
Looking for info on:
Robert Clarke born about 1818 in Canada West (ethnic background on census was German/Dutch) and Mary Ann Duffy (born Ireland about 1827) married in Kingston, Ontario, 15 July 1845. Had children William John and twin Robert, Margaret Jane, Mary Ann, Matilda, Mathew James, Robert James, Elizabeth, Ellen and Francis Henry. They lived in Pittsburgh Township just east of Kingston. The 'e' was dropped from Clarke by some of these children. Although Mary Ann was Roman Catholic, Robert and the children were listed as Church of England and marriages/baptisms were at St Mark's Anglican Church in Barriefield or St. George's Anglican Cathedral in Kingston.

Re: Robert Clarke, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 5:09PM GMT
Hello Robert:
Do you know what coounty in Ireland your Clarks and Duffs were from

Allen Clark
allen.clark88@gmail.com

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 10:38PM GMT
Robert Clarke was born in Canada West. He listed his ethnic background as German/Dutch. Also he and his wife sponsored the first born son of Charles Edward Clarke whose family moved to New York State in the mid 1800s. Robert and Charles were close in age and I've often wondered if they were related.
Although his wife Mary Ann Duffy's family emigrated from Ireland, I've never found any mention of the county.

Posted: 16 May 2011 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: CLARK, GRANT
At http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyoswego/oswegocounty/fams... there is a short biography of Benjamin Clark, born Pittsburgh Twp. who identifies brothers including Charles and Robert, father Henry, and grandfather John P. Clark.

I have an unknown Clark, born Pittsburgh Twp. who married Peter Grant. He was a widower when the 1851/52 census was taken, and three of his children were living with Charles Clark and Robert Clark, including my 3rd great-grandmother Sarah Jane Grant. I’m try to prove/disprove whether my unknown Clark was one of Benjamin’s sisters. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 16 May 2011 4:50PM GMT
Hi Tina. Thank you for the info. The Charles and Robert names in the Oswego reference are Benjamin's children, not his brothers. But you are correct that my Robert might be related. I've been trying to find the names of Benjamin's 4 brothers because my Robert was born around the same year as Benjamin (according to census reports). What location is the 1851/52 census you refer to where Sarah Jane Grant was living?
Regards,
Pat (pat.blake@sympatico.ca)

Posted: 9 Dec 2011 7:48PM GMT
The 1895 Landmarks of Oswego says: Henry was also a farmer. His wife was Pearl Curl, and [this is a reference to Henry and Pearl]children are Henry, John, Charles, Robert, Benjamin, Matthew, William, Peggy, Hetta and Betsey, all of whom are now living. Benjamin is my great great grandfather. These are his siblings not his children. Landmarks goes on to list Benjamin's children stating: In 1848 he [Benjamin] married Mary Ann Shepard of Canada, and their children are George, Matthew, John, William, Charles, Lewis, Clark [error I think], ... Elizabeth ... Margaret ... Eliza, Mary, Sarah [and] Clara. I need to check but I am fairly certain either my great grandfather or his uncle Charles (or both) was a Charles Edward Clark. Given the population of NY in the 18th century, I would not be surprised if they had Dutch German derivation but I suspect without proof the Clark line is English. Benjamin's death record states his father was from Connecticut. I note Benjamin's spouse appears to have been French (lower Canada) and German (New York). We often refered to the family as Mohawk Valley Dutch which I think is really a mix of German Dutch and English.

Posted: 9 Dec 2011 10:08PM GMT
Hello James. Yes my old information I put in this post was incorrect - a little confusion on my part because the names were all similar. Tina found a court case that involved land in Pittsburgh Township, Frontenac Cty,apparently sold to and occupied by Charles Edward Clark (Conc 2 Lot 17) and John Richard Clare (Conc 2 Lot 18), by someone who did not have the rights to the properties. At the end of the case John Richard Clarke retained his land but Charles Edward Clarke did not. Charles then appears in the next Clayton, New York census with his family so it seems he moved to the USA after losing the land. A Henry Clark Jr was on a close lot (Conc 2 Lot 13), Henry Clarke Sr on Conc 3 Lot 19 and a Henry Clark on Conc 2 Lot 19. So there were a few Henry Clark(e)s living very close to each other in 1844.

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: BROWN DOTY
Hello Pat and James. The court case was "Henderson vs Graves" heard in 1862. This can be found in the Reports of Cases Adjudged in the Court of Error and Appeal, Volume II, at Google Books at http://books.google.ca/books/about/Reports_of_cases_adjudged...
As an aside, my 4xgg Christian Julius Brown inherited the property originally granted to Adam Graves from Rachel (Jeffery) Doty, the widow of Rev. John Doty when she died in 1860. She appears to have been Christian's half-sister. There must have been other court cases before everything was sorted out, but the Brown family did end up with much of the land that hadn't been purchased and paid for in full by others from the Graves family.

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 3:52PM GMT
I confirmed that my great grandfather's full name was Charles Edward Clark. Thanks for the up date.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 6:46PM GMT
Hello Pat.
It's been ages since we got together.I have been reading all these messages on Clarke's, and thought I should contact you to see if you had found proof of our ancestor Robert's siblings and parents? Love to hear from you. email still genyo@sympatico.ca Beatrice Martingale.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.