Search for content in message boards

Murder of John Moss by James Bright

Murder of John Moss by James Bright

Posted: 14 Sep 2008 2:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moss Bright
I am looking for information about the murder of John Moss. He was killed by his stepson James Bright in NSW Australia in 1884. John was married to Mary Anne Divney/Deveney and they had a daughter Louisa.

James' parents were Mary Divney/Deveney and James Bright. They married in NSW Australia in 1843 and James Jnr was born in NSW Australia in 1852.

Does anyone know where I might find more information?

Re: Murder of John Moss by James Bright

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 6:03AM GMT
I have information on John Moss - Alleged Offence Manslaughter of one John Moss - committed for trial. This is from the NSW Index to Deposition Registers 6 October 1868. The manslaughter committal took place at Tuena. He was subsequently committed for trial on the charge on murder. I have a lot of information on the Bright family. I am a descendant of Mary Anne Deveney and James Bright. I have a photograph of James Bright and Mary Anne and John Moss. I think I also have a photograph of James Bright, Jnr and other siblings. I have a photograph of Louisa Moss.

Love to know you interest in the Bright/Moss family.

Thelma Thomson, Brisbane.

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 4:25AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 5 Jun 2011 4:08AM GMT

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 5:15AM GMT
Hi, I am also researching the Moss family , who resided around whyralla/Cowra is there a possible connection.If so would love to hear from you.Thankyou

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 5:42AM GMT
The Bright family I am researching lived for many years in the Tuena/Carcoar area. The family had a number of sons - James, William and John. There were also girls Mary Anne, Margaret Maria, and others that I just can't quickly recall. What Bright names are you researching as there could be a connection. I know that some of the family settled in Canowindra which isn't so far from Cowra. Best wishes, Thelma Thomson.

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 8:06AM GMT
Hi Thelma,

My interest lies with the ' Moss " Family , are you able to help with any info/photos.Thankyou for your help

Belinda

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 8:31AM GMT
The Bright family I am researching lived for many years in the Tuena/Carcoar area. The family had a number of sons - James, William and John. There were also girls Mary Anne, Margaret Maria, and others that I just can't quickly recall. What Bright names are you researching as there could be a connection. I know that some of the family settled in Canowindra which isn't so far from Cowra. Best wishes, Thelma Thomson.

Posted: 2 Mar 2009 9:56PM GMT
Hi Thelma,

I am also a descendant of John Moss and Mary Anne Deveney. Louisa Moss and James Maguire's daughter Alice Maguire is my great great grandmother. Alice married Herbert Albert Alfred Richard Sara and divorced him in 1920 and then married Robert Frazer. Herbert and Alice's daughter Thelma married James Edwin Francis Gibbs and they had 2 children one being my Grandfather Edwin James Gibbs.

I have only been able to trace the family tree as far as John Moss and Mary Anne Deveney so far and hit a wall trying to find the death certificate for John MOss.

Another distant relative who descends from John Moss and Mary Anne contacted me and told me about the death of John Moss by his stepson James Bright and I have been trying to track down information ever since.

I would love to get a photo of John Moss, Mary Anne Deveney and Louisa Moss also the Brights if that's possible. I have just borrowed a copy of a family photo with James Maguire Louisa Moss and their 2 eldest daughters if you would like a copy of that. I will give you my email address: lushwah@hotmail.com

I reall look forward to hearing from you.

Lachelle

Posted: 22 Dec 2009 11:34AM GMT
Surnames: Moss, Evans, Warren, Ryan
Hi Belinda,
I am trying to find information on a Moss family from Tuena and wonder if you have the same one. My research interest is an Elizabeth Moss, born in Tuena in c. 1860. I cannot find a birth record for her and on some later certificates her parents are given as John Moss and Ann Warren or as Charles Moss and Hannah Ryan. All records give Tuena as her birthplace and a range of dates between 1859 and 63.There is an Elizabeth Moss born to a Joseph and Hannah in Carcoar in 1862.She had 9 children with father David Evans and eventually moved to Wellington where she died in 1953.Any help on this lady's Moss family heritage would be greatly appreciated as she is very elusive.
Regards, Margaret

Posted: 23 Dec 2009 2:47AM GMT
Hi Margaret,
After further research the John Moss on this message board does not appear connected to our tree. The John Mosss I have was born in 1887 Cowra and died 1970 in Orange. If you think there is connection , let me know and maybe we can go from there, the Moss's in our tree are also a little elusive
Regards

Belinda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic