Search for content in message boards

Simon Butler, Wales > PA, 1700's

Simon Butler, Wales > PA, 1700's

Posted: 10 Jan 2002 3:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Feb 2010 12:48AM GMT
Interested in exchanging info with anyone researching the line of Simon Butler, b. Wales, d. 1764 in Pennsylvania.

Simon Butler I married Ann Mathew, daughter of Anthony Mathew, 2 children:
Benjamin I
Simon II

Benjamin Butler I, m. Elizabeth James, daughter of Thomas James, 1 child:
Ann Butler, m. Thos. Morris, Jr.

Simon Butler II married Rebecca James, daughter of William James, 3 children:
Abiah, m. Elizabeth Thomas, no children
Margaret, m. Nathan Mathew
Benjamin II, m. Sarah Davis, daughter of Wm. Davis II and Mary Evans, 10 children:

Rebeca, m. Capt. Jesse Forker
Mary, m. John Dunmead
Margaret, m. John Smith
Simon III, m. Charity Lomison
Rachel, m. Charles Kinney
George, m. Nancy Kline
Benjamin III, m. Ruth Beegle
Elizabeth
Abia II, m. Jane Bell
Nancy, m. Benjamin Kline

My ancestor, Abia Butler II, b. Nov 6, 1794 Laurence Co. PA, d. 1870, m. 1817 Jane Bell, b. May
22, 1799, d. Oct 2, 1853 Washington Co. PA. Children:
Alexander, Benjamin, Elizabeth, George, James Davis, Margaret, Mary Ann, Nancy Jane,
William, Sarah (my g-grandmother), Richard, Abia IV, Stephen, Joseph Roney, John Bell

I have a list of the descendants of Simon Butler I which relatives compiled in 1930. Would be happy to share infor.

Re: Simon Butler

Posted: 10 Jan 2002 1:34PM GMT
I noticed your message and I think that you have been the closest to my Benjamin. The problem is that my Benjamin married Amy Baker and I don't see that name connected with any of yours. There is always the possibility that there was a second marriage. I do know that Amy was around 17 when they married so am thinking the Benjamin wasn't that much older.
Have you read my other message about the land grant to the Butler's. Another story I have toldwas that one of my Butler ancestor's ran away from home and joined the circus and ended up being a big wig at Ringling Brothers.
I can't even find a death certificate for Benjamin or Amy. I have come across one possibility. I have found where an Amy Butler married Isaac Badder and have to find out about this. On line they only give the date of marriage in 1880. Benjamin and Amy married in 1867 in Port Burwell.
If any of this connects please let me know. Maybe we can make some connection but it is slim.
Fran Kole

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 7:40PM GMT
Sorry, I have a fairly complete list of descendants of Simon, and I can't find any Amys associated with any of the Benjamins on the list. Also, a lot of family stories were passed down, and I think that anything as exciting as an ancestor running off to the circus would have certainly made it into the records!
Good luck, but I think you are from a different line of Butlers.

Posted: 28 Dec 2002 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2010 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: MUSSELMAN, BUTLER, BABCOCK, REID, CARTER, CLINE
I have a connection to your Simon Butler from Wales.
I have just recently discovered this connection.

My GGG Grandfather Calvin Bulter, son of George and Catherine (Cline) Butler; son of Benjamin and Sarah (Davis) Butler; son of Simon and Rebecca (James) Butler; son of Simon and Ann (Matthew) Butler.

I don't have extensive information from George and Catherine Butler back, but I'd love to have more.I've compiled more about their children, Uriah, Joseph, Benjamin, Simon, David, Sarah, Abia, and Henry, but most specifically for the descendants of Calvin and Eliza (Carter) Butler. Calvin's son, Millard Alonzo Butler, being my GG Grandfather.

I have my most recent information posted on my home page:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/u/s/Carl-T-Muss...

Re: Amy Butler

tina badder carr (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2004 5:51PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2010 12:49AM GMT
fran. isaac badder and amy butler badder are buried in highland park cemetary, ionia co. mi. her date of death is nov.10,1937. isaac's date of death is mar.20,1921. hope this helps in your research. we also have a louis (lewis) who was married to hattie butler in feb. 1885. louis was walters brother.were these women related. they were married in ionia co. divorce records show louis and hattie being divorced in 1903. but, not all divorce actions were carried out.keep me posted. tina

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 8:34AM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2010 12:53AM GMT
Hello,

My name is Christine Butler. My husband Richard John Butler is the son of John Irvin Butler, a son of Roy Butler, a son of John Irvin Butler. This line goes back to Simon Butler II and Simon ButlerI. I would be grateful for any information you can share with me.

Thank you,
Chris Butler

Re: Simon Butler, Wales > PA, 1700's

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 11:39AM GMT
Hello,
I am also interested in sharing any information - I am the 10th generation Butler descended from Simon Butler. I have information posted on my tree.
Thanks for posting this board.
Bobby Butler

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 5:38PM GMT
Simon Butler (b.@1680 in Carmarthenshire, Wales) was my 6-G Grandfather (Simon, Benjamin, Ann, Benjamin Morris, Pamelia Morris, Robert Carson then Carsons Alex, Homer & Portia.) There is much info on him, though some of it varies -- b-date, arrival in USA, etc.-- but I am interested in tracing the family into Wales. Other than where he was born, do you have any info in Carmarthenshire? Will gladly share what I find.

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 7:42PM GMT
Wow only 6th generation - I am the 10th generation (Simon/Simon/Benjamin/Simon/Benjamin/Thomas/Samuel/Joseph/Samuel/Robert-ME).
We have no info on the Wales side but very interested in what you might find. My family still has the Farm in Pennsylvania that was purchased in 1811 by the third Simon) above - it was passed from Simon to Benjamin to Thomas to Samuel to Joseph (Grandfather) to Sam (Dad).
Thanks,
Bobbyh

Posted: 6 May 2010 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 6 May 2010 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Howe, Southard
Three of my mother's relatives, Ada Butler, Zoe S. Howe and Gertrude Southard, prepared a "Record Book of Davis and Butler Family" for DAR membership, submitted on July 19, 1930. The following is their introduction to this information. Does anyone know the origin of this material which, I assume, is from local histories?

The Butler Family who founded the present town of Chalfant, in New Britain Twp., Bucks County, Pennsylvania--long known in Colonial times as "Butler's Mill", are descended from Simon Butler, who with his brother-in-law, Simon Mathew, came from Llangemych, in South Wales, with four others, and joined the Welsh Tract Baptist Church in Christiana Hundred, New Castle County (now Delaware) in 1710. They were accompanied by Anthony Mathew, father of his brother-in-law Simon Mathew and his wife Ann Mathew.

The Welsh Tract Baptist Church was organized by sixteen Welsh Baptist families from Pembrokeshire, Wales, who in June, 1701 sailed from Milford Haven for Pennsylvania in the good ship "James and Mary", and landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 8, 1701. Before leaving Milford Haven they organized themselves into a church and chose Thomas Griffith, one of their number, as their minister. On their arrival in Pennsylvania, they settled temporarily near the Welsh settlement about Pennypack Baptist Church, near Bustleton, Philadelphia County, where they remained for about a year and a half. During this period twenty converts were added to their membership, some of whom had previously held membership in Pennypack Church. In 1703 they secured title to a tract of land in New Castle County (since that date the site of the church) and settled thereon, and have since been known as the "Welsh Tract Baptist Church."

The Butlers and Mathews were active in the affairs of this church until 1721, when Simon Butler I and Simon Mathew purchased a large tract of land comprising the present site of Chalfant, Bucks County, and accompanied by their wives and Anthony Mathew, and the Eaton family, removed thither, producing letters of dismission from Welsh Tract Baptist Church to the Montgomery Baptist Church. They erected a mill, which gave the mane by which the locality was known locally for many years.

It would seem that Simon Butler I and Simon Mathew were among the first Europeans to make New Britain Twp. their permanent home. Simon Butler was prominently identified with its early history, being almost constantly engaged in some public capacity. He was one of the Board of Commissioners 1735-1737. He was a captain in the Provincial Service, his son Benjamin I being ensign of his company. He was Justice of the Peace from1738-1764, and Coroner in 1755. He was a surveyor of some ability, and a man of excellent judgement. Prior to that plentitude of lawyers, which forms a distinctive feature of society at the present day, a man who could write a deed, an agreement, or an indenture was almost invaluable in his community, and that Simon Butler I was such a man is evident from the frequency with which his name appears in old legal documents.

It was only in New Britain and Hilltown that nationality early established itself. In the religious chronicles of these communities the names of Simon Butler I and William Thomas deserve conspicuous mention. The Montgomery Baptist Church was organized June 20, 1719, with a membership largely resident in this county. Dissensions early arose on theological subjects. Butler formulated his views in a published pamphlet to which the name, "Butler's Creed", was applied, and he received practically the unanimous support of his neighbors, and in 1754 they withdrew in a body from the Montgomery Church and formed themselves into the New Britain Baptist Church, the same church of which our ancestor, the Rev. William Davis was the second pastor from 1754-1768. Simon Butler died a consistant member of this church in 1764.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.