Search for content in message boards

Conwell and Harper ancestry in India : Anglo Indian

Conwell and Harper ancestry in India : Anglo Indian

Posted: 5 Nov 2009 3:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 3:46PM GMT
Hi, my family is 3rd generation Anglo-Indian from Kolkata, India and surrounds. My paternal great grandfather was EDWARD ARTHUR CONWELL, whom I believe was born in the UK and migrated to India. His children were born and raised in India.

On my maternal side, my great grandfather was THOMAS BEARPARK-HARPER (later shortened to HARPER). He came from the UK to manage a tea plantation in Darjeeling, India.
Any information on either or both of these people or surnames would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Conwell and Harper ancestry in India : Anglo Indian

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 3:47PM GMT
My grandfather (my father's father} Charles Bearpark Harper I understand came from the UK and worked as a tea planter at Dooars Darjeeling. When Charles Bearpark (Harper) retired he migrated to Rowella West Tamar Tasmania. My father Thomas Harper had a Brother Frederick Harper, who went to the UK and lived in Bootle, Liverpool. His sister Marjorie Beaurepaire Bearpark (Harper) was still in Kalimpong India from what I know. The name "Bearpark" was dropped and my father Thomas and his brother Frederick used only Harper.
My mother's (Myrtle Harper nee Hutchins) grandfather Thomas Hutchins came from Shipton Mallet, Somerset UK. He came to India around 1795. He enlisted in Bath on 17 May 1815. Embarked on the "Marquis-on-Huntley" on 22 December 1815 and landed in Bombay India on 16 May 1816.

Posted: 18 Jun 2011 9:45AM GMT
I am doing some research for a friend, her maiden name was Wright,and her mothers maiden name was conwell and she was born in India, whilst checking for her ancestors I have come across Edward Arthur Conwell who would have been her Great, Great Grandfather son born 20.5.1874 in Calcutta Bengal, India
he married Maud Veda, and there children were James Eugene Conwell born 20.1.1904, Eunice Maude born 17.8.1908, Myrtle Alice born 18.10.1900, Olive Kathleen also born 18.10.1900, and Gerald Edward born 23.3.1899. Olive Kathleen married Henry Percy Smith 15.5.1918, I found these details on the family search site, the updated version. hope this is of some use, if you know any further details of these family lines please let me know. It would appear that the families were born and raised in India for many generations, although they were british.

I am doing some research for a friend, her maiden name was Wright,and her mothers maiden name was conwell and she was born in India, whilst checking for her ancestors I have come across Edward Arthur Conwell who would have been her Great, Great Grandfather son born 20.5.1874 in Calcutta Bengal, India
he married Maud Veda, and there children were James Eugene Conwell born 20.1.1904, Eunice Maude born 17.8.1908, Myrtle Alice born 18.10.1900, Olive Kathleen also born 18.10.1900, and Gerald Edward born 23.3.1899. Olive Kathleen married Henry Percy Smith 15.5.1918, I found these details on the family search site, the updated version. hope this is of some use, if you know any further details of these family lines please let me know. It would appear that the families were born and raised in India for many generations, although they were british.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 1:53PM GMT
Dear Sandra,
Nice to receive your recent email. Your friend and I must be related! I am Anglo-Indian, born in Calcutta, as were my siblings and both parents and their families.

My father is Edward Eugene Conwell born 24.7.1929. His father was James Eugene Conwell born 20.1.1904. James married my grandmother, Florence Eversly in Calcutta and they had 2 kids, my father and his sister, Chloe. My grandmother, Florence was of West Indian blood and this caused tension with the Conwell side, in those more prejudiced days.
Consequently, my grandmother Florence was ostracised by her sisters-in-law (Eunice and Olive - I'd never heard of a Gerald Edward). So my father and his sister Chloe had little to do the Conwell side. We have a photo of Edward Arthur Conwell and Maude. But we always thought that he was born in England and that she was of Portugese (or at least, Goan)stock.

My father became a well-known hockey player in the late 1950's, playing professionally for top clubs in Calcutta as well as representing West Bengal at State level. He married another Anglo-Indian from Calcutta (my mother, Irene Harper).
Our family emigrated to Perth, W Australia in 1970 where me and my 2 siblings grew up. They are all still living in Perth, and my dad is still in good health at 82 years of age.
My folks keep in touch with many of the Anglo-Indian (AI)diaspora through the AI 'world reunions' which are held periodically.

Best rgds,
Stephen Conwell

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 7:08AM GMT
Thank you for all the information, I will pass it to my friend, her name is Barbara Woods, her mother was Thelma conwell before marrying before marrying Ashley wright, both sides of the family came be traced to the British in India some generations back, Thelm's parents were Zohe Hart and David Eugene Conwell, and I am doing some research on behalf of Barbara. I So far the tree appears to go like this:-
Starting with the information you have passed to me

Edward Eugene Conwell born 24.7.1929
Parents: James Eugene Conwell and Florence Eversley
Married Irene Harper

James Eugene Conwell born 20.1.1904
Parents: Edward Arthur Conwell and Maude Veda
Married Florence Eversley

Edward Arthur Conwell born 20.5.1874
Parents: David Ebenezer Eugene Conwell and Helen McLean
married Maude Veda

David Ebenezer Eugene Conwell born 30.5.1839
Parents: David Edward Eugene Conwell and Elizabeth O'Hara
Married: Helen Mclean

David Edward Eugene Conwell born 1804
Parents: William Eugene Conwell and Elizabeth Matilda
married Elizabeth O'Hara 1831 Vepery Church India

William Eugene Conwell born Sept 1875 Ireland
Died 18.5.1836 India
information on William obtained from www.Spuddybike.or.uk/geds/o'Hara

The conection with my friend is through Edward Arthur born to David E E Conwell and Helen McLean on 20.5.1874 his brother was David Eugene Conwell who married Alice D'Sanges in 1892 and they had a son David Eugene Conwell, who married
Zohe Hart, these were my friends Grandparents and she is trying to find more info about this family, also her fathers side of the family, Ashley Wright, we do not know his parents as he was adopted, but he could have been adopted by his fathers sister, so its very confusing.

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 9:47AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 3:47PM GMT
My Great Grandfather was Charles Bearpark Harper who managed a tea plantation in the Darjeeling area. My Grandfather Frederick Harper, born in Darjeeling (Full name Edward Frederick Harper) passed away in Bootle Liverpool in 1984. He was born to Charles and a lady who's identity we do not know, as she passed away during his birth. During his days Fred led an amazing life travelling esp. the United States. When he arrived in the UK he spent time as a merchant seaman during WWII (and survived 2 torpedo strikes). He had 2 sons and 1 daughter, Ronald Harper (my father), Keith Harper and Muriel Harper. Ron and Keith moved to Australia and Muriel lives in England.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic