Search for content in message boards

KELLAS families of Torniechelt, Letterfury and Aldivalloch in Cabrach

KELLAS families of Torniechelt, Letterfury and Aldivalloch in Cabrach

Posted: 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Dec 2011 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Kellas
I am researching the Kellas families in Torniechelt, Letterfury and Aldivalloch in Cabrach, Aberdeenshire. The Stewart or Stuart families in Mortlach, Banff. Interested in contacting people researching same.
Posted: 13 Jan 2003 11:26PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2011 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: Kellas
Hi don't know if your'e still doing research I am researching my Cabrach line which leadse back to my 4X Great G Parents Janet Ferrier and Alex Kellas(at present only know the names no more).Ann Kellas wed Alex Henry----Ann Henry wed William Duncan-------Jessie Ann Duncan wed my Great Grandfather James Davidson etc am interested in any relatives along the way as i don't have much on this line
june riddell

Re: Kellas

Jenny Meadows-Grindal (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2003 2:00AM GMT
Hi June, Great to hear from another Kellas researcher. We all seem to be descendants from the same line. Will contact you on your email address as info too large to post on the board. Jen.

Posted: 20 May 2005 1:08PM GMT
Hi June

I am also looking for more information about Alexander Kellas, born Scotland 1762 who married in 1787 to Janet Ferrier, born 1765.

My mother’s father, James Souter, born 24 April 1869 in Kildrummy, Aberdeen, moved to England with his family and married about March of 1902 in Hartlepool, Durham, England to Margaret Jane Hurworth, born June 1872 in Boldron, Teesdale, England.

James Souter’s parents, married 13 June 1868 in Glenbuchat, Scotland, were David Souter, a shepherd or farm employee, born in Cabrach, Aberdeen, Scotland, (Cabrach parish register - March 16th 1847 - John Souter in Buck had a natural son by Isobel Watt in Drumbuly born of this date, baptized 4th July 1847 at Cabrach and named - David, witnesses Margaret Duncan in Buck and William Gilbert in Poneed) and Jane or Jean Dawson, born 25 July 1845 in Strathdon, Scotland, christened 28 Jul 1845 as Jean Gauld Dawson - IGI film C112406.

Their marriage record shows as follows:
1868 Marriages in the Parish of Glenbucket in the County of Aberdeen
No. 2 - When, Where, and How Married. - 1868 On the Thirteenth day of June, at the Church of Glenbucket, After Banns, according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
Signatures of Parties. Rank or Profession, whether Single or Widowed, and Relationship (if any). - (Signed) David Souter, Farm Servant (Single), (Signed) Jane Dawson, Domestic Servant (Single)
following is information for David - Age. - 21 Usual Residence. - Leochel Cushnie
Name, Surname, and Rank or Profession of Father. Name, and Maiden Surname of Mother. - John Souter, Farmer, Isabel Wattan, Domestic Servant
following is information for Jane - Age. - 22 Usual Residence. - Craigengower, Strathdon
Name, Surname, and Rank or Profession of Father. Name, and Maiden Surname of Mother. - James Dawson, Farmer (Deceased), Ann Dawson M.S. Mitchell
If a regular Marriage, Signatures of officiating Minister and Witnesses. If irregular, Date of Conviction, Decree of Declarator, or Sheriffs Warrant. - (Signed.) John Bremner, Minr. of Glenbucket, (Signed) John Souter, Witness, William Johnston, Witness, When & Where Registered, and Signature of Registrar. - 1868 June 15th at Glenbucket, John Callam, Registrar

David Souter’s parents, marriage date and place unknown, were John Souter, born in Buck, Cabrach, Scotland 12 Jan 1827 (christened 28 Feb 1827 - Cabrach - witnesses John Souter Senior & Junior in Nether Howbog) and Isobel Watt, christened 11 Sept 1827 in Cabrach (twin of Jean, witnesses James Gordon & Isobel Kellas in Ardwell).

Isobel Watt’s parents married 13 Sep 1814 in Cabrach (Cabrach - banns 27 Aug 1814 - James Watt & Margaret Kellas both of this parish were contracted in order to marriage and after an order proclamation was married September 13th).

James Watt, who died 10 May 1837, was baptized 15 Mar 1808 (George Watt in Coldstripe had a son by his wife Isobel Clerk baptized named James, witnesses Chas Dawson in Coldstripe (?) & George Taylor in Tomballie (?)). Margaret Kellas, who died 3 Sep 1842, was baptized 12 Jan 1795 (Cabrach - Alexander Kellas in Torniechelt a daughter by his wife Janet Ferrier (?) baptized named Margaret, Paul Gordon in Aldivalloch & Hugh Kellas in Torniechelt witnesses).

Margaret Kellas, who died 3 Sep 1842, was christened 12 Jan 1795 (Cabrach - Alexander Kellas in Torniechelt a daughter by his wife Janet Ferrier (?) baptized named Margaret, Paul Gordon in Aldivalloch & Hugh Kellas in Torniechelt witnesses).

Are her parents, Alexander Kellas and Janet Ferrier, the same ones referred to in your above mentioned e-mail? Is there any connection between your Kellas family and my ancestors? Is there information we can share? Please get in touch with me and let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Bob McCarthy
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

JUNE RIDDELL (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2005 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2011 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Kellas,Henry
Hi Bob,as far as I'm aware we do have a connection my 3x Great gran who wed Alexander Henry was Anna Kellas born 1801 younger sister of Margaret Kellas or Watt..I'm still struggling with all these Kellas's far too many with the same names but will give you what info I can.
Alexander Kellas was the son of John Kellas and Margaret Stewart who wed in 1756.Have still to confirm the parents of John Kellas for some time have thought they may be Alexander Kellas and Janet Fettes but nothing to prove this as yet.
Don't have everything on my database but if you contact me at my e-mail address willsee what we come up with
June Riddell
Posted: 29 Dec 2011 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Edited: 29 Dec 2011 10:09AM GMT
Surnames: Souter, Watt
Hi June,

Looks like Bob has the wrong Isobel Watt. My records show that David Souter's mother was Isobel Watt who was born in Drumbulg, Gartly on 20 Feb 1822 daughter of John Watt and Isobel Smith not the Isobel Watt daughter of James Watt and Margaret Kellas.

How's the research going?

Cheers,
Jen.

Re: KELLAS families of Torniechelt, Letterfury and Aldivalloch in Cabrach

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 5:25AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2012 11:31AM GMT
Surnames: Kelles
I have come accross a Cirston Kelles married Cabach an Alexander Bruce born 1683-SON ALEXANDER BRUCE born 1715 any help -do you have any details of Cirston?
Jen

Re: KELLAS families of Torniechelt, Letterfury and Aldivalloch in Cabrach

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: KELLES
No sorry have not come across Cirston Kelles before and also couldn't find a marriage in Cabrach either only in Leochel Cushnie.
Jen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.