Search for content in message boards

Meekers from Middlefield, MA

Meekers from Middlefield, MA

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Apr 2006 11:35PM GMT
I have a strong hunch that my ggggg grandfather Daniel Meeker, who died in 1836 in Madison Co., IL, and who left his son Orren "a lot of land I now own in Hampshire County State of Massachusetts the records of which are in Berkshire County same state", is either the son or grandson of the Daniel Meeker of Middlefield, who was mentioned in the book "The History of Middlefield, Mass." My Daniel was born in NJ, his children were born in NY, and they all ended up in IL. Where would I start looking for the MA land records and other records that are available from the 1775 to 1840 time frame? Does anyone know anything more about this Meeker family? Thank you very much Dave Meeker

Re: Meekers from Middlefield, MA

Jan Meeker (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2002 5:33AM GMT
Surnames: Meeker
Be sure you check the censuses if you have not. I have Daniel Meeker in 1820 Hubbarton, Rutland, VT. Another Daniel is in Bolton, Chittendon, VT.

In 1830 one Daniel is in Milton, Chittendon, VT. The other is no longer in VT.

The 1850 New York Federal Census Index (L-Z) shows 3 Daniel Meekers, in Niagra, Otsego (Daniel G.), and King counties. There is an Orin Meeker in Oswego county and an Orrin in Otsego County. (Note the spellings) Orrin is in Osego Twp page 169.

I would also check out Daniel G Meeker at Burlington TWP, Otsego Co pg 22.

I'm looking at the Chittendon Daniel as a possible ancestor for Norman Meeker. Norman's parents also came from NJ and he was born in VT then moved to NY. Do you have any Normans in the list of sons?

I'm going to be looking at land records in VT since I have no evidence (sat this time) of Norman being in Mass. Meekers did settle in Conn and then a few moved to VT and later to NY.

Good luck.
Jan

R. Craig Kammerer (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2002 2:28AM GMT
From my research and 60 years work of the late great Charles Henry Meeker, I can answer many of your questions.Daniel G. Meeker, of Otsego Ct, NY, born 1/1795, descends as follows: Robert (1) [~1619-1685]& Susan Tuberfield Meeker [Conn], Daniel (2)[1659-1716] & Elizabeth Smith, Samuel (3)[1700-1770], Daniel (4)& Abigail Gorham, Lyman Meeker(5), Daniel G.(6) & 10 brothers & sisters; Daniel G. was the father of Orrin (7), Otsego Ct., born 10/17/1817 & 13 other children. Daniel of Chittendon, VT [Born 1762] was the son of Abraham & Elizabeth Tichenor Meeker of Elizabethtown, NJ, a descendant of William (1), the brother of Robert above. According to the extensive published Tichenor genealogy, this Daniel had 18 children, only 8 of which they knew of at the time.
There is also a Daniel Meeker [1731-1829] of Montgomery Ct, NY, who came there from NJ about 1780. Among his children was a Daniel, who left NY for Mass, and then came back to NY, and a son John, who left NY for Mass and died in Mass. This family also had an Orren Meeker. A grandson of this elder Daniel [1731-1829] was Daniel D. Meeker, who was the father of Martin Van Buren Meeker born about 1800. My research is buried in tons of boxes in a storage area after a move, but all of this I am sure of, not being based on internet gossip. I often publish my work in the Meeker family newsletter, but none of the above yet. That is about all I have at this time. I do not know when I can add to it, depending on wading thru all the boxes. Best to all.

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 1:10AM GMT
I know of that Orren Meeker from Madison County, Illinois. What's strange is I just found him by accident when checking abstracts of the farm land around where my grandparent's farm was. Oddly enough, he showed up around 1820 with a land grant if I remember correctly, but here's what's strange. My grandparent's didn't own the adjoining land until some time around the Great Depression. My grandmother's mother was a Meeker, descended from Charles Henry Meeker of NJ. My grandmother was born in 1888 in Warrick County, Indiana!

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 3:59PM GMT
Craig, i hope you see this....what was the name of Daniel Meeker's wife? The Daniel born in 1770.
Posted: 5 Jan 2013 2:32PM GMT
Good morning,
I believe you to be Doyt Meeker? I am trying to put together a missing 100 years in my Meeker family. I can trace A. J. Meeker marrying Lurena Howell to 1850 in Missouri. They have a son named Isaac who is my great great grandfather. I believe A. J. was born in Kentucky?????????? I have no other info in regards to that. I am trying to tie this all down so that I can sign my granddaughter Carly up for the DAR's. I believe we are related to Daniel Meeker born 1731 in Essex, NJ. This is where my missing 100 years comes in. If you have any info you would care to share with me, I would so appreciate it!!!! I tried for 4 years but just can't put this 100 years together. Thank you so very much for your time and effort.
Mary Meeker Crandall
peony4720@gmail.com

Re: Meekers

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 6:28PM GMT
Mary...were u by chance replying to my post? can i email you and we can discuss what each of us have found in research?
Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:09AM GMT
Hello,
Yes I was replying to your post. My e-mail is peony4720@gmail.com Would love to hear from you. I am looking for any info on Isaac M. Meeker listed as son of Daniel Meeker born 1731 in New Jersey and died in 1829 in New York. I believe he married a Charolette?????????? I believe he had a son named Albert??????????? Can't find any info to prove this tho'. If you have any info that could help me, I would be so very grateful. Thank you so very much.
Mary Meeker Crandall
peony4720@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.