Surnames: Davis
Doctor in Sheffield, Tasmania after 1836

Robert Henry Douglas DAVIS

Merrin J. Evergreen (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Nov 2006 7:45AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, COLEMAN, CARRAWAY, DEACON, ROBERTSON, HISCOCK, BAILEY, CAIN
Dr. Robert Henry Douglas DAVIS (born 1837) arrived from Ireland (Killybegs Co. Donegal) around 1885-1887- trying to find out the ship that he came out on. Married to Christina Sophia CAIN with children Arthur Henry(became bank manager in Hobart? married to CARRAWAY), Charles Frederick, Evelyn Maude and Philip Douglas. Charles Frederick married Ann Byers COLEMAN daughter of Charles Dedrick COLEMAN and Ellen ROBERTSON.

Charles Dedrick Coleman

Posted: 2 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2002 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Coleman, Davis, Robertson
Charles Dedrick Coleman was my Great Great Grandfather. He was Son of William Coleman and Jane Williams who arrived in Sydney in 1839. Tasmania in 1840.
Posted: 3 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2002 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Coleman, Davis, Robertson
Please delete Great Great Grandfather. Insert Great Uncle in previous message. Sorry for mistake. Brian

Robertson

Prudence Taylor-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Robertson, Williams, Taylor, Hewitt
Dear Merrin
My great grandmother was Isabelle Drysdale Robertson, she married John Henry Williams and had a daughter - Ceinwin Gertrude Williams (my grandmother) apparently of Welsh descent. My father tells me that a lot of Isabelle's relatives moved to Tasmania. Don't know if ther is any connection. I have just started on this side of my family as my grandmother passed away in May of this year. Hope this is of use. Feel free to email me if so. Pru Taylor Smith

George Frederick DAVIS

Merrin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2006 7:45AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, CANE, JONES, FITZGERALD, COLEMAN, ROBERTSON, DEACON, BLAIR, MINCHIM, MCCARTHY, CARTY, FLOOD, COLEMAN
Dr. Robert Henry Douglas DAVIS was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1837. His brother Dr. George Frederick DAVIS was born in 1834. Their father Henry DAVIS was a coroner and solicitor in Dublin (his father was John DAVIS and mother Mary nee JONES).

Dr. George Frederick DAVIS graduated as a surgeon in 1853 in Dublin and joined the British Army as a Medical Officer. Late in life he emigrated to Tasmania, Australia.

Dr. RHD Davis graduated at the royal College of Surgeons in Dublin in 1856 and married Christiana CANE (father Mathew CANE- attorney and mother Anna FITZGERALD whose father was Charles- also an attorney)

Dr. RHD Davis spent about 20 years in Killybegs, Co. Donegal, Ireland before emigrating to Sheffield, Tasmania, Australia in 1885 with his five children.

A Dr. Flood was a cousin and another relation was Sir Lionel CARTY. I have a locket with a photo of a Kathleen Flood from Ireland.

Any links?

cheers

Merrin.

New info on the DAVIS clan from Ireland

Merrin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, CANE, JONES, FITZGERALD, COLEMAN, ROBERTSON, DEACON, BLAIR, MINCHIM, MCCARTHY, CARTY, FLOOD, COLEMAN
Having just returned from Ireland, I have some new information.

Dr. Robert Henry Douglas DAVIS was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1837. His brother Dr. George Frederick DAVIS was born in 1834. Their father Henry DAVIS was a coroner and solicitor in Dublin (his father was John DAVIS and mother Mary nee JONES).

Dr. George Frederick DAVIS graduated as a surgeon in 1853 in Dublin and joined the British Army as a Medical Officer. Late in life he emigrated to Tasmania, Australia.

Dr. RHD Davis graduated at the royal College of Surgeons in Dublin in 1856 and married Christiana CANE (father Mathew CANE- attorney and mother Anna FITZGERALD whose father was Charles- also an attorney)

Dr. RHD Davis spent about 20 years in Killybegs, Co. Donegal, Ireland before emigrating to Sheffield, Tasmania, Australia in 1885 with his five children.

A Dr. Flood was a cousin and another relation was Sir Lionel CARTY. I have a locket with a photo of a Kathleen Flood from Ireland.

Any links?

cheers

Merrin.

Arthur Henry DAVIS

Merrin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, DARGAVILLE, PORTEUS
Arthur Henry DAVIS (born 1869 in Ireland)son of DR ROBERT HENRY DOUGLAS DAVIS of Sheffield was a Bank Manager in Hobart had a son Jack (Ulverstone)and another Douglas and two daughters Barbara ( Mrs A.K. Dargaville, Queenstown) and Kathleen (Mrs S.Porteous,Sydney).

CARTY

Leanne Johnstone (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CARTY, BUGG
I have an ancestor ALICE CARTY b. 21 April 1855 (Horton Tas) who married ELLIS BUGG on 30 Dec 1879. If more info on them is of interest to you please feel free to contact me!

Carty's in Tasmania

Jim Van Sluys (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi Leanne

I am researching the Carty/Carthy family from Nirranda in Victoria. My step children are descended from these Cartys.But I have a problem, Jeremiah Carthy/Carty arrived in Victoria sometime between 1820 and 1847. But I cannot find where he arrived into Australia. He is reportedly from county Rosscommon in Ireland, and born in 1820. I am wondering if you might have come across any other Cartys in your research? I have a feeling he may have come through Tasmania either as a convict or settler. He was listed as a Wheelwright. Well hope to hear from you...best regards and thanks for your time. Jim Van Sluys
per page

Find a board about a specific topic