Search for content in message boards

Pedigrees of English Storeys / Storys

Pedigrees of English Storeys / Storys

Jack Storey (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2003 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Part of the "Storeys of Old" is an Appendix which lists the pedigrees of many of the prominent Storeys / Storys living in England as follows :-
1.Robert Story of White Cross,Newcastle-upon-Tyne - 1698.
Links to John Story (b.1st Mar 1776) m. to Jane Pattinson (1) & Mary Jane Young (2) - lived in Dublin.
2.Giles Storie of Bishop Wearmouth,(b.1586) with links to Anthony Makepeace Story Lt 22nd Light Dragoons, buried at Lisburn, Ireland (d.20 May 1797).
3. Richard Story of Cragge in the Hay, Old Hutton, Westmoreland & Robert Storreye of Kirkby Kendalle (d.1562) with links to William Storey of Preston Patrick (d.5 Aug 1715) (Quaker Storeys) & Margaret Storey of Kendal who m. John Dodgson of Strickland, Ketel. Also link to Lancs.
4. Anthony Storey of Goosegreen, (b.3 Jan 1699), Charles Storey of Preston Patrick, & Henry Storey (d.1709) were brothers and prominent Quakers.
5. Roger Storey of Snitter (Rothbury), & Thomas Story of Felton are among those listed under - Felton, Snitter, Moral Hirst, Blunocks, Knocklaw & Hillside, Rothbury, Northumberland. Links also exist to Robert Storey of the Bower, near Bellingham and to James Storey of Well Close, Rothbury who was Churchwarden of Rothbury Parish Church - 1838.
6. Robert Storie of Trewhitt (1590) who had land at Kirkandrews in Annandale and was related to Edward Stoore of Nether Trewyte and James Story of High Trewitt.(14 Jun 1729)
7.Robert Story (b.1639) Freeman of Bishop Wearmouth with links to the Storys of New Jersey (1909), Mount Vernon, New York & those of Great Ilford, Essex, England - St. John's Church, Newcastel-upon-Tyne features prominently in this Branch.
8. Robert Storey of Tarnside, Heversham (d.14 June 1816) linked to Michael Storey of Witherslack, Anthony Story of Crook, Kendal & to John Storey of Wraysholme (b.6 Dec 1791)
9.Humfray Story (d.20 July 1617) who married Jennet Carrudas is one of the Storys of Justice Town (Lynehow) near Longtown, Cumbria. The most famous of these Storys is either Dean George of the Boyne (1690) as Chaplain to King William's Army or his equally famous brother - Thomas "Quaker" who, as First Recorder of Pennsylvania, friend of William Penn and charismatic Quaker Preacher. Dean George married local aristocratic Limerick girl - Catherine Warter - while he was Dean of Limerick. Thomas "Quaker" succeeded to Justice Town following Dean George's widow's succession.
10. The Storeys of Greenup of Low Ray are linked to the Lancaster Branch - late 1790s - who spread to Liverpool, Manchester, Bolton-le-Sands etc. Many were Sea Captains, Mariners etc.
11.William Storey (b.29 Sept 1776) at Troutbeck, Westmoreland had links to Martha of Bardsea, Ulverston,
John, James, William, Thomas, John, Robert, & Edward - all her brothers at Bardsea.
12. Bolton-le-Sands is listed as the origin of John Storey who married Bridget Tyson of Long Green Head, Troutbeck, whose line extends to Warton, Lancaster, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Kirkby Lonsdale, Warrington, Stony Stratford (Bucks), & Manchester.
13. Christopher Story of Little Orton (Orton Parva) "The Lake Storys" had sons - Christopher (b.30 Dec 1789), Thomas (b.1790), Richard (b.1792), Robert (b.1795), & James (m. 1819 to Sarah Davidson) + two daughters - Mary & Elizabeth (who m. William Scott of Kirkbampton - 27 Dec 1813).
14. Thomas Story of The Lake, a cousin of Thomas "Quaker" Story of Justice Town (probably) married Elizabeth Parrett dau of Christopher Parrett, Rector of nearby Kirklinton Church. Thomas' brother was Francis Story who married Isabella Graham (m.18 June 1667)was Master of Kirklinton Grammar School.
15. Randall Story of Cargo (b.8th Feb 1679) - brothers were George & Thomas. Their offspring included George of Stanwix & John of Rickerby, whose descendants settled at Carlisle (Elizabeth - m. 21 June 1831), William of Wigtown (Currier & Tanner) who m. Mary Drewery of Weary Hall, Bolton Gate, & Isabella Story who m. Thomas Edgar of Rockcliffe Cross.
16. John Storie of Bewcastle, named in a deposition dated 23 Feb 1690 concerning a conspiracy upon the Borders of England & Scotland, deposition from York Castle. His descendants included George Story who married Amelia at Carlisle, Jonathan Story of Shaddon Gate, Carlisle, who m. Mary, and the Faulder Family who descended from Emily who had married Joseph Sewell Faulder of Huddersfield, Yorkshire.
These are just a few of the Pedigrees which I have and where many Storeys / Storys originating in the listed areas above can be traced back.

Re: Pedigrees of English Storeys / Storys

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 9:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2004 2:09PM GMT
Jack Hi
On researching my family(Northumberland/Durham) I have come across a large family of Storey's from the same area
One line from George Storey b1806 d 1831 to John Edward Storey b 1912 d 1985 ,About 20 names in all.
If you care to get in touch I will be happy to send what I have
Cheers
A.Thompson

patty lebedzinski (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 11:57PM GMT
Born to clarita storey in Hannibal ,mo in jan 1949. Birth grandma named Pearl wright ,who is buried in Hannibal,mo birth mother died in Fulton ,mo. trying to find birth genealogy

tom Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2005 12:22PM GMT
Hi Celia,
Check this SFamily Story site out.
http://members.tripod.com/TFamStor/

Tom Thompson
In Florida.

My Thompson's came from Baltimore, Maryland.
My wife's connects to the Story line.

Trevor Worth (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2006 2:13PM GMT
Hello Celia,
I'm interested to know if you have a list of STOREYs from Newc on Tyne. My George Johnson STOREY is supposed to have been born there c.1829. Parents said to be GJS (Snr.) & Mary CROZIER. I'm unable to confirm this at all. My George emigrated to Victoria, Aus, in 1855, I think. Thankyou kindly and regards, Trevor in Perth, West Aust.

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 5:54AM GMT
I wonder if you have anything more about Robert Storey of Rye Hill near Rothbury please. His daughter Mary married Edward Donkin in about 1798 or 99 and they seemed to inherit Rye Hill. I've seen that spelt Wreigh Hill. Edward and Mary had two sons who migrated to Canada in 1838 and one who came to Australia in 1837 amongst their ten children.

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: storey, armstrong, chittick
Hi my name is melissa sundstrom and I'm doing genealogy for my family. My gggrandmother was Margaret Melinda Storey b. 1839 in ontario, canada. Her father was Thomas Storey b.1798 in northumberland, england to John Storey and elizabeth armstrong. I'm looking for any connection or information about them.
Thank you

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 4:56AM GMT
We Storey/Story/Storie/Storrys were on the Scottish side of the borders in the 1741-1840 period, but some moved south and married English spouses before emigrating to North America; others stayed. My family was from Birgham, Eccles Parish, Berwickshire, Scotland.

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: storey
Hi my name is melissa sundstrom and I'm doing research on my gggranmother, margaret melinda storey b. 1839in canada but her father was Thomas storey b. 1798 in Northumberland england I think his father was john storey and mother was elizabeth armstrong. Looking for a connection.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Melissa

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Storey
I have just started researching my father's side of family. There is a Thomas Armstrong Storey who was church warden at Barton Turf in Norfolk for many years. I have a Bird book with the inscription of Edward Storey of Barton Turf who I believe was my great grandfather, born 19-4-1849 at Happisburgh in Norfolk. I think he was Edward Henry Storey and he married Ellen Eugenie Barry. His father was John Armstrong Storey a farmer of Happisburgh who married a Jane baker . Family legend has it that the family came from the borders of Scotland. This is quite likely as there were galloway cows in North Norfolk which originate from that area. My maiden name was Anne Margaret Storey-born 31 may1948. My father was Philip Armstrong Storey born 28-10-1919 and now deceased. My grandfather was William Armstrong Storey born 16-1-1888.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.