Search for content in message boards

Amos Chaffin--Alabama

Amos Chaffin--Alabama

Posted: 5 Feb 2004 8:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: chaffin
http://www.priceville.com/~lchaffin/

See if this helps anyone. This is about Amos Chaffin, my great-great-(I think) grandfather. He fought in the Civil War and rode with Quantrill's Raiders for a time. His son, Doctor Monroe Chaffin (Doctor was his first name, not his title) was my great-grandfather, and was apparently fathered at least two notorious bootleggers (Louis and Manfred Chaffin). I think Amos was originally from North Carolina. There is a picture of his gravesite on this link.

Re: Amos Chaffin--Alabama

Posted: 7 Feb 2004 3:53AM GMT
Susan,
Actually he is a junior. His father (Amos) is my wife's 3G grandfather. Amos Sr. and his family moved from Rutherford NC in about 1825 to Cherokee County, GA. Amos Jr later married Sarah Tait (Tate). They lived together in Georgia for over 30 years and near the beginning of the Civil War Amos Jr. 'left for the war' leaving his home and wife in Dade County, GA. There is no indication there was ever any children in this marriage. At the end of the war (as the story goes) Amos was making his way back to Dade County and was offered food and lodging for the night in the home of William Randolph Derrick. Derrick is said to have several daughters and Amos and the daughter Lucinda M. set up housekeeping and the following year (6 May 1866) Doctor M. Chaffin was born. Amos died in 1870 and Doctor was his only child. Amos is buried in Culman County in a small cemetery near the Morgan County line.

Doctor married Loudicie Childers and the Louis and Manford you mentioned were two of their ten children. John Argle (Dec 1905) was another of their children. He married and his son was still living in Culman County as late as 2001.

I would like to see the picture of the gravesite but the URL is 'broken' and will not load.

Re: Amos Chaffin--Alabama

Posted: 10 Feb 2004 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Chaffin
Hugh, Thanks so much for your response. I have a photo in my house of Doctor Monroe and Lou Dicie and their 10 children.She was so tiny and he and all of their children were very tall. My daughter is named for Emma (one of their daughters), and John Argle was my grandfather (wonderful man). He and his wife, Martha Christine Smith ("Big Mama") had seven children--Delores, Loufrell, Bettye, Dorothy (called Dot), Lowell, JoAnn and Martha Gayle (deceased @1994). All of them still live in Alabama (in and around Cullman County, except Loufrell and Delores who live in Childersburg), except my mother--we are in Memphis. I will pass this along to Uncle Lowell. I think he might like to be in contact with you and your wife, if that's okay.

Re: Amos Chaffin--Moreland's Regiment

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Chaffin Derrick Childers Ford Ritchie
The AL Dept of Archives and History discloses an Amos Chaffin who served in Moreland's Regiment, formerly Roddy's 4th Alabama Mounted Infantry(?), along with a number of other Chaffin's. This Amos Chaffin was heavily engaged in North Alabama from at least the middle of the war.

Is this the same Amos Chaffin, Jr. who took up housekeeping with Lucinda M. Derrick Davis?

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 8:22PM GMT
this sounds like the stories we've been told.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 9:15PM GMT
The only information I've been told specifically about Amos is that he was a member of Quantrill's Raiders, who were in Missouri. The one serving in North Alabama was most likely NOT the same Amos Chaffin in Missouri. I do know of an Amos Chaffin that lived in Illinois in those days.

If you have any specifics, please advise.

Thanks,
David
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.