Search for content in message boards

People mentioned in the will of John Hallock of Minisink - 1842

People mentioned in the will of John Hallock of Minisink - 1842

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: HALLOCK, SMITH, HOLLY, WOOD, HALSTEAD, TUTHILL, MATHER, DECKER, WISNER, WINTERMUTE. SAWYER, WELLS
PEOPLE MENTIONED IN THE WILL OF JOHN HALLOCK SR.
And an examination of who they are or who they might be

The following discusses the people mentioned in the will and in the probate of the will of Deacon John Hallock, Sr. of Minisink, Orange County NY. The will was written 26 December 1838. He first lists “my three daughters (Mary) or Polly Holly, Sally Smith and Mahitable Wood” giving them a parcel of land and setting down how it is to be passed on to their children. Next he mentions DeWitt C. Hallock and Nathan S. Hallock, no relationship stated, giving them most of his estate with the stipulation that they pay their sister, Charlotte Hallock a sum of money and that they provide a living and yearly stipend for John Hallock Jr. and Phebe Hallock, again, no relationship stated. Then he gives a few small items to “my son John Hallock Jun” and he forgives outstanding debts to both John Hallock Jr. and to Joseph Smith. Finally, he divides whatever is left into fourths between John Hallock Jr., (Mary) or Polly Holly, Sally Smith and Mehitable Wood.

In the codicil to his will, dated 18 May 1842, John Hallock refers to his “three daughters” though not by name, adjusting the way their inherited land is to be dealt with at his death and he now gives to DeWitt C. Hallock and Sanford Hallock the clock he had given to his son in his will.

[A few thoughts: Based on John’s references to his three daughters and his son, as well as the dividing of the residue of his estate between those four people, we can likely conclude that he had only these four children: John Jr., Mary/Polly, Sally, and Mehitable. We do know that John’s wife, Mehitable Aldrich, died in 1828, thus there is no reference to her. The Hallock Genealogy, p.415, assigns DeWitt C. Hallock and Sanford Hallock as sons of John Hallock, Jr. If that is true (is there a will for John Hallock Jr. to confirm this?) then we can conclude that the above mentioned Charlotte Hallock and Nathan S. Hallock are also children of John Jr.]

At a Surrogate’s Court held in Goshen, Orange County, NY, 2 September 1842, George M. Grier, Surrogate appointed David P. Farrand as a Special Guardian for two minors, Phebe Holly and Gabriel Smith, heirs and next of kin of the deceased John Hallock.

Phebe Holly - born after 1821; daughter of Mary/Polly Holly and her second husband;

Gabriel Smith - born 4 August1829; died 18 Dec 1906; married Frances A. Bentley; son of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846; info from his obit).

After that, there follows a list of people to be shown a Citation advising them of the time and place for the probate of the will, all referred to as the next of kin of John Hallock, deceased. These people, and what is known about them, are listed in the order they appear in the Surrogate’s Citation:

Joseph Halstead - likely the son of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798; Ancestry.com, in undocumented and unverified family trees, assigns him those parents and gives him a birth date of 18 Jan 1803, died 23 May 1878, married Eliza Ann Roberts; Findagrave.com lists him as buried in Stewartstown Cemetery, Ridgebury, Orange County, NY.

Nathaniel E. Halstead - likely the son of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798; Ancestry.com, in undocumented and unverified family trees, says he was born 13 Mar 1807, died 30 Dec 1862, married Nancy Ann Helms 20 Apr 1829.

Richard M. Tuthill and his wife Maria - Maria is likely the daughter of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798.

Garret Wood and Mehitable his wife - Mehitable daughter of John Hallock Sr. and her husband; she is buried in the Hallock Family Cemetery, Ridgebury, Orange County, NY, birth date unknown, death date of 20 Apr 1861.

Silas W. Mather and Mehitable his wife - born @1807, died 21 Nov 1889 in Monroe County, WI; daughter of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846 and Monroe County, WI cemetery records and census records).

Henry Decker and Fanny his wife - no information found; Fanny is likely the daughter of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798.

Nathan S. Hallock - likely the son of John Hallock Jr. and his wife, Phebe based on the Hallock Genealogy, p.415.

Halleck Smith - son of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846, also known as John Hallock Smith and John H. Smith).

Increase Mather and his wife Irena/Irene - Irena/Irene is the daughter of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846).

Henry Wisner and his wife Maria - born 23 Feb 1804; died 17 Jul 1897; Maria is the daughter of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846 and Maria’s obit in 1897).

Isaac Wintermute and his wife Sally Jane - born 1 Jun 1810; died 19 May 1899; married Isaac 20 Dec 1828; Sally Jane “Sarah” is the daughter of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846, Sally’s obit and Chemung County NY marriage records).

Samuel Smith - son of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846).

Asa D. [Dolson] Smith - son of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846).

Lebbeus L. [Lothrop] Smith - son of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846).

John L. Sawyer and his wife Juliana - born 13 Apr 1813; died 18 Mar 1891; married 8 Jun 1831; Juliana is the daughter of Sally Hallock and Joseph Smith (verified in Joseph Smith’s will of 1846; Tioga County, NY, cemetery records).

Catherine Wells - no information found, but since she was staying with the Deckers it is possible that she is the daughter of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798.

George H. Wells and his wife Charlotte - Ancestry.com, in undocumented and unverified family trees, lists her as a daughter of John Hallock Jr. and Phebe Ball, giving her a birth date of 8 Jun 1817, death date of 1 Nov 1871 and a marriage date of 24 Sep 1840 in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Jonathan Decker and his wife Mehitable - Ancestry.com, in undocumented and unverified family trees, says Mehitable was born 1830 even though they also give her a marriage date of 1820 (!), they say she died 7 Dec 1868 in IL and named a son William Halstead Decker. The birth date has to be an error.

William Halstead - likely the son of Mary/Polly Hallock and her first husband William Halstead who she married in 1798.

The three Executors of John Hallock’s estate are:
DeWitt C. Hallock - son of John Hallock Jr., grandson of John Hallock
Joseph Halstead - listed above, grandson of John Hallock
Jacob A. Wood - likely the son of Garret Wood and Mehitable Hallock, grandson of John Hallock.

Some other conclusions:
Sally Hallock, wife of Joseph Smith, likely died between the writing of the will in 1838 and the probate in 1842 as she is not notified as next of kin.

Mary/Polly Hallock, wife of first William Halstead and second an unknown Holly, likely died between the writing of the will in 1838 and the probate in 1842 as she is not notified as next of kin. There is a Mary Holly buried in the Hallock family cemetery in Ridgebury, Orange County, NY, with a birth date of 2 Nov 1776 and a death date of 27 Aug 1842. I suspect this is Mary/Polly Hallock.

John Hallock Jr. is not listed as part of the next of kin in the probate documents and the clock he had been given in his father’s will of 1838 was given to his sons was given to his sons in the Codicil to his father’s will dated 1842. He is buried in the Hallock Family Cemetery, Ridgebury, Orange County, NY with a birth date of July 1783, death date of 6 Dec 1840.

Probate records found in Orange County, NY, Surrogate Court Wills 1840-1845, v.1, p.498+

Could Sanford & Nathan S be the Same Person?

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 1:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Aug 2011 1:50PM GMT
Since Dewitt and Nathan S got most of the property in the will and Sanford was apparently not mentioned there. And then Sanford is mentioned in the codicil without Nathan S - could Nathan S and Sanford be the same person?

Subsequent censuses: I find Dewitt in Wayawanda in 1850, Greenville 1860, then widow Emma and various of the children in Orange Co through 1900. I find Nathan S with a family in 1850, then I lose him. I don't find a Sanford at all.

Re: Could Sanford & Nathan S be the Same Person?

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: HALLOCK
Could be. What needs to be done is to find the will and/or probate records for John Hallock Jr. He died 6 Dec 1840 survived by DeWitt, Charlotte, and Sanford and/or Nathan...and, I think his widow. While SAMPUBCO http://www.sampubco.com/index.htm does not list a will for him, perhaps there are some other probate or surrogate court records that would shed some light on his survivors.

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 3:45AM GMT
For whatever it may be worth, I found this
http://www.archive.org/stream/familyrecordsorg00litt/familyr...

that shows:
PHEBE BALL, (4th child of Aaron Ball, Esq.,) and John
Hallock, Esq., had children :

1. Devvitt Hallock; 2. Charlotte Hallock; 3. Sanford Hallock.

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 7:06AM GMT
I think you are on to something! Look at what I found in a listing of Hallock wills and other probate records a friend just sent mefrom Orange County:

Date First name Surname Liber page
1888 N SANFORD HALLOCK R 143

Liz

Wife of Deacon John - Mehetable Aldrich?

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 12:27PM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2011 12:27PM GMT

Do you have documentation on the identity of Deacon John's wife: Mehetable Aldrich?

I have this source from ancestry, but it is secondary and doesn't say where it is coming from:

Source Information:

Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Original data: This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived from an array of materials including pedigree charts, family history articles, querie.

I then find ancestry trees that show her as a daughter of Jacob Aldrich and Mary Sandiforth (direct line for me). But her baptism, 06/14/1752 ("dau of Jacob and Mary Aldrich"), (p 252 Mattituck Parish Baptisms, Craven) is followed 25 years later by a marriage of Mahitable Aldrich to Gershom Osborn, 07/14/1777, again in Mattituck Parish Marriage Records). I have no further info to confirm they are the same person, other than coincidence of time and place. Then, in 1810, Jacob Aldrich refers to his daughters Bethia and Mehetable (twins) in Goshen (county seat of Orange Co, which is only 8 miles away from Ridgebury. I haven't been able to find what happened to the Mehetable who married Gershom Osborn, or the Mehetable in Goshen.

Do you have more info on 1) where the surname Aldrich comes from for her and 2) who her parents were? (and, as a side issue, do you have any more info on the Sandiforth's? That is a direct line for me through a sibling of Mehetable and the Sandiforth's are a hard family to track)

Re: Wife of Deacon John - Mehetable Aldrich?

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: HALLOCK, ALDRICH, SANDIFORTH/SANDFORD/SANFORD
Good questions! I wish I had answers! All I've seen are what you posted. Is there a will, probate or deeds for Jacob Aldrich? Those might give some answers...and probably present us with even more questions. I also have to wonder if Jacob's wife might have been a Sandford or Sanford, instead of Sandiforth, with Nathan receiving her surname as his middle name.

Liz

Jacob Aldrich - Sandiforth Connection

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 12:09AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2011 2:29AM GMT
This is a summary of the abstract of Jacob's will. This comes from another Southold Researcher and accounts for the conversational nature of it. I have parts of Liber C, but not Liber B, so I'm not sure of the word for word abstract, or even the will itself:

The will of Jacob Aldrich of Southold, 1 Aug 1805, proved 7 Oct 1806,shows one more [half?]brother (Thomas) and [half?] sister (Mary Rachel- or is a comma missing, and it should be two sisters?) for Joseph, not listed in Aldrich Genealogy. Legacies to daughters Bethiah and Mehitable at Goshen, Mary, Rachel and Mercy, and to sons Joseph and Thomas. Realty to said sons and to son Jacob "in partnership with my brother Steaven, deceased".
Exe'rs= sons Thomas and Joseph, Benjamin Goldsmith
[Liber B, pp. 384-5].

This Jacob Aldrich is buried in Mattituck Parish Burying Ground (called Old Bethany at find-a-grave). His wives are not buried here. See photo of headstone here:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=96...

Salmon Records:

Aug 19, 1747: Jacob aldridge Mary Sandiforth married, p 268

Possibly sibling of Mary Sandiforth:

1752, "the beginning Jan" (os) - Oring Web & Frances Sandiforth [Orange Webb], p 271
(This is entry just under Jonathan Owin and Mary Dains, 1752/3, Mar 15)

Possible parents:

02/22/1721/2: Thoms Sandiforth & Rechll Smith, married, p 257

Jan 8, 1746/7 - Henry Pike & Wd Rechel Sandiforth, p 267 (probably born about 1700, so she is almost certainly beyond child-bearing years)

Death of Rachel per Salmon Records:

01/03/1767/8: "Henry Pikes wife Rachel". , p 222

I haven't done an exhaustive search for the Sanford spelling, but I noticed one marriage record to a Hallock. I haven't found this Widow Elinor Hallock.

Nov 1753, Ezekiel Sanford, & Wd Elinor Hallock, p 271

Original record by William Salmon, Compiled by William A. Robbins, Salmon Records - Marriages (LI Source Records, Hoff, 1987, pp 255-293), 274.

Mattituck Burying Ground

Henry Pike, d 05/23/1768, age 75, is buried there, but no wife/wives)

Craven, Charles E. Included in "A History of Mattituck, NY" 1906, Mattituck and Aquebogue Parish Death Records, 338.

A "Mini" Pike Genealogy listing on page 680 of the 1928 Hallock Genealogy. Gives Henry, died 05/23/1768 - but does not identify wife/wives. Does identify 4 generations of sons down to William H Pike who married Hattie Hallock.

PARTNER OF THOMAS "SANDFORTH"

Abstracts of Wills Vol III 1730-1744
Pg 161

Page 231.--In the name of God, Amen. I, JOHN BRADDICK, of Southold, in Suffolk County, mariner, being at this present time at Boston, in Massachusetts Bay, in good bodily health. I leave to my wife Mary 1/3 of all my estate during her life. I leave to my son John, all my lands and tenements. To my daughter Mary, 5. To Thomas Sandforth, of Southold, who is now my partner, 100. All the rest of my estate is to be sold by my executors, and the proceeds divided among my five youngest children, Alice, Elizabeth, David, Peter, and Abigail. I make my son John and Thomas Sandforth, executors. "I have hereto set my hand and seal at Boston."

September 6, 1733. Witnesses, Stephen Boutineau, Gillam Phillips, John Payne. Proved before Brinley Silvester, Esq., September 6, 1734.

Page 161

Re: People mentioned in the will of John Hallock of Minisink - 1842

Posted: 1 Dec 2013 6:43AM GMT
Surnames: Hallock, Paret, Parret, Parrott, Wood
Hello, Ms DuBois:

Nice will! However, I cannot answer any of your many questions, only add a sliver of wobbly information.

I am trying to stitch together the relationships of the Paret/ Parret/ Parrott family of the Ridgeberry/Ridgebury and Brookfield/Slate Hill area. The Orange County Genealogical Society has a Slate Hill folder with photocopies of information therein from various sources. I saw this in that folder:

"Independant Republican Marriages", transcribed from the Independent Republican, 26 Jan 1839, v6, #265:

"The 19th by the same [Elder Conklin - Old School Baptist Church?], Mr. WILLIAM WOOD to Miss MELISSA PARROT, all of Brookfield."

[Margin notes, unknown hand: "Slate Hill (dau of Nathan + Christine Bailey Paret) Wm H Wood (son of G[?]arret + Hatty Hallock Wood).]

This margin note is the wobbly basis for my adding Melissa as a daughter of Baily & Paret into my genealogical info (with all due caveats, of course). Hatty would be Mehitable Hallock, but since the Woods and Hallocks are peripheral to my Paret search, I had no plans to pursue them other than a quick glance at online Hallock & Wood info when I found your interesting thread.

FYI: I suspect that another child of Bailey & Paret is Horace Denton Paret, my ancestor. I have no direct proof other than Nathan's surname appearing on his grave marker (Ridgeberry Cemetery) as "Paret" while his brother Samuel's marker (also Ridgeberry) is entered as "Parrott". (And in Nathan's Letter of Administration, they are both given as "Parret".) From Horace on down, maybe from Nathan on down, the family consistently used the "Paret" variation, but spelling is also a wobbly base.

All the best genealogical luck, J

Re: People mentioned in the will of John Hallock of Minisink - 1842

Posted: 1 Dec 2013 8:19AM GMT
Jay,

Thanks for the additional information...who knows, that may be the clue that opens this up to more information.

Cheers,
Liz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.