On 2 August 1858, Archibald McLISTER (age 36, then resident of Whitby, Ontario, Canada) married Mary KILPATRICK (age 20, then resident of Prescott, Ontario) in Grenville County. The marriage was probably solemnized at the Presbyterian church in Prescott town. Archibald was born in Co Antrim, Ireland (sorry, no further information as to townland/parish), and his parents were Daniel & Mary.
I am connected to Archibald McLISTER only through marriage. Mary KILPATRICK was an elder sister of our great-grandfather, Robert Gordon KILPATRICK. The KILPATRICK family, headed up by father Samuel & mother Jane (nee McKAY) emigrated to Prescott sometime between Spring 1847 and Spring 1848, from Kilrea parish in Co Londonderry.
I've traced Archibald and Mary as late as 1880. In the 1880 US census (online at www.familysearch.org
), the family consisted of:
- Archy McCLISTER, 56, Laborer
- Mary McCLISTER, Wife, 42, Housekeeper
- Robbert McCLISTER, 21, Coal Miner (born 4 May 1859 in Grenville County, Ontario, Canada)
- William John McCLISTER, 19, Coal Miner (born 29 March 1861 in Grenville County, Ontario, Canada)
- Daniel McCLISTER, 17, At Home (born 20 February 1863 in NY State, USA)
- Samuel McCLISTER, 13, At Home (born 7 March 1864 in Ohio, USA)
- Charles McCLISTER, 11, At Home (born 23 April 1869 in Ohio, USA)
- Arthur McCLISTER, 9 (born 2 August 1870 in Ohio, USA)
- Sarah J. MC CLISTER, 4 (born 28 July 1895 in Ohio, USA)
- Minnie MC CLISTER, 1 (born in Ohio, USA)
The birth dates as given above are transcribed from a KILPATRICK family bible, except for Minnie, whose birth date is absent.
I would be interested in hearing from readers who are descended from the family outlined above. Sorry, I do not have any further information on the McLISTER origins in Ireland.
Nova Scotia, Canada