Search for content in message boards

Looking for New York Tobin's

Looking for New York Tobin's

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 12:48AM GMT
I am still searching for information on a Nellie Tobin. Born about 1858 or 1859 in Union Hill (Webster) New York. She would be my Great Great Grandmother. She married a Charles F. Sova. Would anyone have any idea if the name 'Nellie" could be a nickname for something more formal? Any info on any New York Tobin would be helpful. I am at a dead end. Thanks!

Re: Looking for New York Tobin's

Beth Zeman (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2002 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Tobin, Schmitt, Ruddy, Leitner
i am the descendant of a NY TOBIN. my great-great-grandmother was Margaret Alice TOBIN-Schmitt (1858-1910). She married Peter Albert Schmitt sometime prior to 1880. i believe she was born in greenburgh, ny and her family had a farm in White Plains or Valhalla, NY. Her parents came over from Ireland around 1850. The TOBIN Farm was donated to become Mt. Calvary Cemetery as well as donating land to St. John's Church (White Plains). i know the family plot (for many of them) is at Mt. Calvary. i only live an hour away, so i plan to visit there one day soon and get more family info - parents, siblings, etc. i don't know where webster, ny is, but it's possible your TOBIN and mine are related.

btw, nellie usually is a nickname for helen.

if you or anyone is related to Margaret Alice TOBIN, all info is welcome. (having loads of trouble myself!)

best of luck to you,
beth

Posted: 6 Apr 2002 7:54PM GMT
Beth, Thank you for your reply. It's interesting that you would mention Mt Calvary Cemetery. Nellie's husband Charles, had a second wife Mary Sova who is buried in Mt Calvary in the Pine Hill Section according to her interment card. This gives me a spark of hope that maybe Charles along with Nellie are also buried there. Webster is just a few miles east of Rochester. I know that Nellie and Charles migrated to Michigan at the time of my Great Grandmothers birth in 1884. Possibly they came back Buffalo way and resettled in the area you speak of. I have a picture of Nellie. If you have one of your Margaret maybe we could compare faces. My email address is seja@mindspring.com if that's possible. I was unable to locate Greenburgh NY on the county search engine. Would you know what county that is? Thanks again for your input! Best of luck to you also!

Re: NY Tobins' (margaret alice 1858-1910)

Beth Zeman (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2002 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: tobin, schmitt, ruddy, leitner, zeman
susan,
i didn't get to the cemetery this week. kids were sick last week, so i couldn't take a week day to go. hopefully soon, i can catch an afternoon off to go. do you think i could just call the office for the info? if i lived a few states away, they could probably tell me something. then i could just drive out there to take pictures of the head stones.
i would like to think i may have found a distant relative. my grandmother says her brother Peter Schmitt was the only one to keep up with the tobin's, and he has been dead since 1986. i haven't come across any photos either.
it is not a large cemetery. from what i understand, the tobin/schmitt families (more tobin than schmitt) owned quite a bit of farmland in westchester. they donated a "plot" to st. john the baptist church in white plains and much more to mt. calvary cemetery. my grandma said they tobins and schmitts were given a family plot near the "large cross". i am still unsure of it's location in the cemetery. my grandma is, unfortunately undergoing kemo down in virginia right now.
as soon as i get a week day to go down to the cemetery, i will. i am so interrested in knowing if WE are family.
best of luck in your search, an i hope we get some helpful info soon.

beth (tobin-schmitt-leitner-zeman)

Re: NY Tobins' (margaret alice 1858-1910)

Posted: 27 Apr 2002 12:30AM GMT
Hi Beth, If you call the cemetery directly they should be able to tell you the lot location of the names you give them. I think you might have to know an approximate year of death but I'm not sure. I have found some more Tobins buried out my way, but the names we are looking for aren't listed. I did call the LDS (Latter-Day Saints history center) in my area today. I had no idea how close they were to where I work, they are just down the street. They have all kinds of census records there and more. So as soon as I can get a day off (without my kids being sick also, it's that time of year again) I will spend some time there and see if I can find my Nellie or your Margaret listed. Even if we aren't related (though it would be nice to finally find someone who is) It's still nice to find someone with the same interest in wanting to know where they came from and if there is anybody out there to share it with. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she does well. You can email me directly if you want at seja@mindspring.com. Happy hunting, will be in touch! Sue

Posted: 16 Nov 2008 4:11PM GMT
I have a Nellie Tobin b July 1887, that was from DeRuyter, NY. This may not help, but I do have info on NY Tobins.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic