Search for content in message boards

Martin in Belfast or Ballynahinch

Martin in Belfast or Ballynahinch

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for descendants of Hans,( born abt 1810) and Jennie Martin. Children James b1833; David b1835; Margaret b1937; Thompson b1839; Hans b1841; Samuel b 1844; Isabel b1846; Hugh b1848; Elizabeth b 1859 MaryAnn b 1860. James and Hugh came to Canada. Isabel to New York, and MaryAnn to Michigan. Isabel married a McClure. MaryAnn married Robert Allen. Hans, the son of Hans and Jennie was christened in March, 1842 at the First Presbyterian Church, Ballynahinch. Does anyone know this family?
Thanks Doris

Re: Martin in Belfast or Ballynahinch

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 12:36AM GMT
heenans william martin my grandfather had female grandma name martin any help dale heenan.

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 6:25PM GMT
Do you know the first name of William Martin Heenan's grandma, and did she live in Ballynahinch or Belfast? Iam looking for descendants of Hans Martin and his wife Jennie ---., probably both born around 1810. Thanks, Doris.

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 11:18PM GMT
no i do not know any first names other than married heenan. sorry.

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Martin
Doris,

Isabella Martin is my 2nd great grandmother. She was the 2nd wife of Thomas Henry McClure. They had 4 children named Priscilla, Margaret, Samuel and Robert. Margaret was my great grandmother and she was married to Hugh Dixon. Isabella immigrated to NY in 1922 with her daughter Margaret, son-in-law Hugh and her 3 grandchildren Isabella, Eileen and Thomas. Thomas was my grandfather. On the ship manifest she listed her brother and nearest relative as H. Martin living at 23 Mountainview Street in Belfast Ireland. She lived with her son Robert McClure in the Bronx until her death on March 1, 1926. She is buried at Mt. Hope cemetery in Westchester NY. My great grandparents Hugh and Margaret and their daughter Eileen are also buried there. I have been to the cemetery and located their headstones.

I am very interested in any information you have about the Isabella's family. I have not been able to find much information on the Martin family. I have a copy of Isabella's death certificate which is my only source with her parents names listed as Hans and Margaret Martin. My great grandmother Margaret Dixon provided the information listed on the certificate. I also have a box of photos that came from Ireland (Belfast) with Margaret and Isbella. There are no names or dates on the photos so I have no way of identifying.

Thank you,

Tom Dixon
thomasdixon@optonline.net

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 5:38PM GMT
Title : (Junior) Date of Death : 16 April 1909
Surname : Martin Date of Grant : 9 June 1909
Forename : Hans Reseal Date :
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £309 15s. 1d.
No Image

Full Abstract :
Administration of the Estate of Hans Martin (Junior) late of 23 Mountview Street Belfast Writing Clerk who died 16 April 1909 granted at Belfast to Hans Martin Harbour Constable.

Title : Date of Death : 4 February 1873
Surname : Martin Date of Grant : 7 March 1873
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects under £600
No Image

Full Abstract :
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Hans Martin late of Ballylone County Down Farmer deceased who died 4 February 1873 at same place were granted at Belfast to Jane Martin of Ballylone (Ballynahinch) aforesaid the Widow of said deceased.

Title : Mr Date of Death : 5 October 1928
Surname : Martin Date of Grant : 19 November 1928
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £795 19s 7d
No Image

Full Abstract :
Martin Hans of 23 Mountview Street Belfast retired harbour constable died 5 October 1928 Probate Belfast 19 November to John Martin boiler maker. Effects £795 19s. 7d.

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 4:46PM GMT
Thank you. The 23 Mountain view St address is consistent with Isabella's ship manifest listing her brother H Martin as her nearest relative. I'm confident that this is a connection. What is the source of this information?

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 4:33AM GMT
Surnames: MARTIN
Hans (and Robert) Martin were listed in Griffith's Valuations 1863-4 for the Townland of Ballylone Big, Magheradrool, Ballynahinch. If you knew his wife's maiden name the family is likely also listed there. The Martins in Belfast can be traced through the various Directories found at lennonwylie.co.uk H. Martin for example is listed in 1907 as a Harbour Constable living at 23 Mountainview St.

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 10:23AM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2011 10:25AM GMT
Got the wills from http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calen...
Title : Date of Death : 28 April 1904
Surname : Martin Date of Grant : 22 August 1904
Forename : Elizabeth Reseal Date :
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £226 18s. 8d.

Full Abstract :
Probate of the Will of Elizabeth Martin late of 23 Mountview-street Belfast Married Woman who died 28 April 1904 granted at Belfast to Hans Martin (Junior) Law Clerk

Census Years1901AntrimCliftonMountview StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 12 in Mountview Street (Clifton, Antrim)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Martin Annie Lydia 20 Female Daughter Congregational Church Belfast School Teacher Read and write - Not Married -
Martin Lily 17 Female Daughter Congregational Church Belfast Fancy Shop Saleswoman Read and write - Not Married -
Russell Agnes 25 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Down Policeman's Wife Read and write - Married -
Martin Hane 59 Male Head of Family Congregational Church Co Down Harbour Constable Read and write - Married -
Martin Hane 23 Male Son Congregational Church Belfast Law Clerk Read and write - Not Married -
Martin Elizabeth 55 Female Wife Congregational Church Co Down - Read and write - Married

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 10:29AM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2011 10:30AM GMT

Census Years1911TyroneDerrygortrevyGortmerronResidents of a house
Residents of a house 5 in Gortmerron (Derrygortrevy, Tyrone)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Russell Thomas 48 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Armagh Sergeant R I C Read and write - Married - - - -
Russell Agnes 35 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Down - Read and write - Married - 15 - -
Thielen William H 9 Male Nephew Church of Ireland Belfast City Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Martin Hans 70 Male Father in Law Congregational Co Down Retired Harbour Constable Read and write
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.