Search for content in message boards

Donald Mackay

Donald Mackay

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 9:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mackay, Flynn, Massy/Massey, Kildahl, Parke
Hi Everyone

I have my gg grandfathers death certificate: Donald Mackay born 1833, Isle of Skye, Scotland, father's name John (occupation steward), died Victoria Australia 1859 aged 25, in Australia 6 years, married to Susan Flynn in Victoria.

Could he be the Donald Mackay son of John Mackay and Margaret (Peggy) Ross born 1832 in Stornoway, Ross & Cromarty, found in IGI?

There is a Donald Mackay son of John and Margaret Mackay in 1841 Census (John & Peggy in 1851 Census). Siblings - Catherine, Mary, James, Murdo, John, and Alexander. Fathers occupation sawyer.

Father's occupation doesn't match
POB - Isle of Skye doesn't match, but in right general area
Donald had a sister Mary in Victoria, Australia - age matches.

Does anyone else have knowledge of this family?

Many thanks
Vicki
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: MacKay
Vicki - you and I may be related through the MacKays. My grandfather's name was Donald MacKay - from Stornoway. He married Catherine MacKay from the same area. These are my mother's parents.

Re: Donald Mackay

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:34AM GMT
Hi James
Thanks for contacting me.
What's your mothers name?
Do you have any other siblings names to help confirm a connection?
Would you know if any of the family went to Australia?
Regards
Vicki
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:52AM GMT
My mom's name was Catherine MacKay, daughter of Donald and Catherine. My aunt's name was Margaret. I had an uncle whom I never had the opportunity to meet named Angus. Angus died while serving with the US Army on the baseball team. The whole team crashed in the Bearing Sea while traveling to a game. My mom's folks are all from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. They all immigrated from Scotland and lived in Detroit. They arrived to the US around 1930. They lived there until they all died, with the exception of my aunt Margaret. We managed to move her down to Lexington, Ky to live our her last several years near us at the time. There are some relatives of mine (maybe ours) who may still live in the Detroit area - although I'm not sure of the location. One person is named Collum Angus MacKay and the other I remember is name Norman John. They were the sons of Jane and Norman MacKay. Pretty sure Norman and my grandfather Donald were closely related. As far as "the land down under" - I had an uncle Bertie that lived there. He came and visited us in Detroit in the early-mid 60s, but I never saw him again. His last name may have been MacKay.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 3:08AM GMT
Hi James
Donald Mackay went to Australia about 1853. He married Susan Flynn in 1855 in Victoria. They had 2 sons - Norman John in 1856 and Donald William in 1858. Donald died in 1859 and Susan remarried. The boys ran away to Sydney when their mother remarried and stayed with an Aunt or Aunts, but I don't know if they were a relative of Donald or Susan.
Doesn't seem that we are making much progress with connecting our families?!
Regards
Vicki
Posted: 9 Oct 2012 5:35AM GMT
I'm starting to think we are making progress. If we can get the link established between the people that you mention; Norman John and Donald; to the Norman John and Donald that I mentioned - we're good. Let me add that if you look at the census' from 1940 and earlier - you'll find both Norman John and Donald Mackay in Detroit. Though common names in Scotland - I'm really getting the sense that there's a link. Donald MacKay - my grandfather was born in 1889. My grandmother was born in 1898. Pretty sure on the Isle of Lewis. What screws this up is that those you mention ran off to the land down under.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:05AM GMT
Hi James
What do you know of your grandfather Donald's parents? and grandmother Catherine's parents?

One of the Aunts was a sister of Susan Flynns, but the other was Aunt Hungerford? - maybe a sister of Donald??

Attached a photo of Norman John & Donald William Mackay.
Vicki
Attachments:
Posted: 14 Jan 2013 7:56PM GMT
Sorry about getting back so late. I'm stumped nonetheless. The only thing I'm pretty straight with is my grandfather Donald had a brother or cousin live near by in downtown Detroit. That person's name was Norman MacKay. His wife was named Jane. I found out about a year ago that Jane died in her 90s around 2000 - 2001.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 1:23AM GMT
Happy New Year James
I don't know of any connection with USA - only Australia and New Zealand. However I don't know what happened to Norman John Mackay (1856- )
Thanks for the contact anyway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.