Search for content in message boards

Stahl

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 11:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stahl
The first Stahl ancestor I have is Hendrix Eugene Stahl, b.1680 in Bern,Switzerland. died 1712 in Lancaster, PA. He married Lorraine Huberdeau,b.1682,d.1712. I don't have any documentation yet, except for one story from ancestry that states it was researched in 1945 by Lillian Elder Hull,whoever that is. He and his wife had a son, Hendrix Eugene Stahl, b.1707 in Bern,Switzerland,d.1790 in Franklin County,PA. He married Margaret Unknown and they had a son, Leonard,b1734 unknown and d. 1829 in Stahlstown,Westmoreland,PA. Can anyone on the board discuss this?

Re: Stahl

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 1:01PM GMT
Hull's work is not to be trusted. She relied on second hand information and did not provide any documentation for her statements. Among her errors: His middle name was not Eugene; the family was not Mennonite; it seems unlikely the story about the ocean crossing is true; the son Henry who served in the War of 1812 was not a brigadier general. I've been researching the family for more the 20 years and most of what she said is just plain wrong. To top it off, she claimed Henry as part of her line when it has been shown that he wasn't related to her at all.
The earliest verifiable Henry Stahl is the one who died in 1790. His probate records mention six sons (Michael, Leonard, John, Jacob, Henry, and Daniel) and three daughters (Susannah, Barbara, and Magdalene, the last deceased prior to 1790). I have found no documentary evidence about his parents.

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 2:46PM GMT
Surnames: Gray,Gitchell,Heisler,Stahl,Cooley,Query,Downer,Holmes,Campbell
Thank you so much for the clarification. I was wondering about that Hull citation and the lack of documentation for it. I will strike that Henry(Hendrix) Stahl from my tree. I am directly descended from Leonard Stahl, son of Henry Eugene Stahl,b.1707 in Switzerland,d. 1790 in Franklin County,PA.Leonard is buried in Stahlstown Methodist Cemetery Stahlstown,PA,Cook Township,Westmoreland County,with wife,Elizabeth. His son,Enoch,is also buried there.
I think I still have stuff to look up and correct in this line. Mary Catherine Stahl is my maternal great grandmother. She married William H Dyer, and that is where I have to stop, as I can find no information or history at all re WH Dyer previous to his marriage.
Thanks again. Shirley

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 3:04PM GMT
Glad it was helpful. I don't have a lot on Leonard's line, so anything you could share would be appreciated. By the way, none of the Henrys had Eugene as a middle name. They were just Henry Stahl in any document I've ever seen. Let me know if you want to see any of the info I have.

John

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 8:54PM GMT
You are welcome to anything I have,that you might also want. It is still very sketchy,though, a work in progress with lots of things to look up and hopefully corroborating documents to be had.
Shirley
Posted: 19 Jul 2011 12:28PM GMT
Hi,
I live in Garland, Tx. My research (interrupted for the present) has traced my GGG Grandfather Joseph Stahl to Franklin Co., Pa, born 1782. I think the County was changed to Washingtion Co. later. Would happen to have any info on local people that might assist me with some geneology research?

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 12:48PM GMT
No,I'm sorry. I live in Glendale,Arizona & have never been to PA. I'm also handicapped,so do all my work on Ancestry now. I used to be able to go to a LDS genealogy center in Mesa,AZ,& found a lot of help there. You might try contacting the PA genealogy/historical center in PA. Or contacting a professional genealogist. Don't know how much they cost or how reliable one might be.
Shirley

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 1:49PM GMT
Washington county was formed in 1781. Franklin county was formed in 1784. Washington county is on the far western side of the state and not connected to Franklin county, either physically or politically. Are you thinking of Fayette county, which is contiguous to Washington?

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 4:43PM GMT
JDM: Not sure what you are referring to.

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 10:03PM GMT
Stephenstahl's question
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.