Search for content in message boards

Henry Percy Bentley

Henry Percy Bentley

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 5:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bentley
Hi

Seeking info on Henry Percy Bentley b1860 Emerald Hill Victoria, son of Henry Bentley b1830 and Elizabeth Miller b.1838.

Moved to Fiji with father and brothers and was part of a well-known family on the Rewa. Have been able to find info about the brothers, but little on Henry Percy.

Thanking you

Sean

Re: Henry Percy Bentley

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 10:28AM GMT
See Cyclopedia of Fiji, page 263. Capt Robert Crawford Miller Bentley, arrived Fiji 1867 with his father.
Bill

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 11:48AM GMT
Hi Sean,

Found a listing for Henry Percy Bentley in Stewart's handbook of the Pacific Islands published in 1922.

Extract from handbook
Lists of Residents in Fiji

Suva page 430:
Bentley, Alexander
Bentley, Charles Albert
Bentley, Harrie Percie (as spelt in handbook)
Bentley, Henry Arthur Bond

Easter division page 433:
Bentley, Charles L. N, Levuka

Vanua Levu and Taviuni division page 434:
Bentley, Richard Henry C. Qeleni
Bentley, William, Vuna

Western division page 438:
Bentley, Fredrick R. , Lautoka

From Kaivalagi ni Viti : census of European Resident in Fiji 1874-5 edited by Rondo B. B. Me.

I found entry for a Henry Bentley in Naitisiri Province under the age of 15 years old in 1874. Page 36.

_____

I can make copies of the above for you if you don't already have them.

Regards,
Dulcie

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 1:11AM GMT
Thanks Bill. I believe Capt Bentley was Henry's brother.
I also have a copy of the Cyclopedia.

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 1:14AM GMT
Thanks very much for your reply Dulcie.

I have a copy of the Census, but would really love a copy of the extract from Stewart's handbook if it's not too much bother. That is new information to me.

Many thanks

Sean

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Bentley
Sean,

I'll email you the extracts from Stewart's handbook.

By chance this morning I was looking up the index for Pacific Islands Monthly (the years escapes me) for my own research and I did found an entry for a death notice for Henry Percy Bentley. If you don't already have that, I'll have a look and see if I can access the issue it's in and scan a copy for you.

Please email me: cieart@gmail.com

Regards,
Dulcie

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 4:21AM GMT
Sean,
I am looking for the parents of Frederick Bentley born abt 1870 in Fiji. He married Marie Emily Cuthbert in Suva, 29th May, 1897.

Do you have a Fredrick Bentley in your tree that fits this man?

Many thanks, Bill

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 11:10PM GMT
Hi Bill

I have a Frederick Richard Bentley b.~1874, Levuka Fiji in my tree. He was the son of Henry Bentley b.1830-d.1892 and Elizabeth Miller b.1838.

I believe he is the younger brother of Henry Percy. He is also mentioned in the Cyclopedia of Fiji.

Email me sean.mcgowan at bigpond.com and we'll see if we are on the same page.

Sean

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 1:08PM GMT
Yes, hello there Sean. I'm actually trying to find some information on a Harry Percy Bentley. I notice you have Henry Percy Bentley as the name. He lived in Fiji on Rewa Street but passed away coz he was involved in a car accident. Would you be able to shed some light on this matter. Would appreciate it if you could get back to me please. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to gather information on behalf of my partner who is Harry Bentley's son - Brian Bentley.

Thanks,
Samantha

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 8:19AM GMT

Hi Samantha,
I went to the Auckland Research Centre today and found a wedding certificate for a William Bentley...son of Harry Bentley.
Would you be interested in a copy?
Cheers
Jeanine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic