Search for content in message boards

Daniel Turner History

Daniel Turner History

William Baker (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Turner, Cole, Brickey, Hillen, Todd, Horine, Jenkins, Gilliam, Woods, Wood
HISTORY OF DANIEL TURNER:

Daniel Turner was born in 1789 in probably South Carolina to Benjamin and Nancy Turner. There is conflicting listings of his BP on various Censuses, North Carolina and Georgia also being given as BPs. The Benjamin Turner family, on their migration to Missouri passed through and settled in White County, Tennessee, possibly around 1810-1814. Daniel married before 1810 to Elizabeth Hillen (born circa 1791 in South Carolina, died after 1870 in Harmony Township, Washington County) in probably Tennessee. Daniel and family, along with his father Benjamin and mother Nancy, settled in Washington County, Missouri before 1835.

In Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri, Daniel Turner was a next door neighbor to the Watson Cole family. Together with John Orchard, they opened a road called "The Old Webster Road". They laid it out in August 1846. The road ran from the town of Webster to Cotaway (Courtois) Creek, past Daniel's son John P. Turner's farm and the his (Daniel Turner's) farm to intersect the road from the Black River. Webster Road is mentioned both in the "Bellevue the Beautiful" book and "Crawford County History" book and it's description is quoted from both of those fine books. It was built by Daniel Turner and a son and neighbor and was heavily used in the 1800's. The Webster Road was the oldest road in the Bellevue Valley of southeastern Missouri.

Webster Road followed Hazel Creek northwest to the confluence of this stream and Courtois Creek. At this junction the road left the streams and crossed over "Six Mile Ridge" and into the village of Osage. From Osage the road crossed the creek at the Cornelius Brickey farm, wound its way over the ridge and on into the village of Steelville. It was over this road that the displaced Indians of the southeastern United States traveled on the infamous "Trail of Tears". Twenty-five years later this same Webster Road served as an escape route for the remnants of General Thomas Ewing's Federal Troops who were retreating north after the Battle of Pilot Knob in September, 1864. These troops with Confederate Generals Shelby and Marmaduke in hot pursuit, marched along the Webster Road into the village of Osage, September 28, 1864. This much-beloved road is not used much any more; it has long since been bypassed.

Daniel's will was executed August 09, 1854, so he died shortly before that date. Elizabeth Hillen Turner died after 1870 but before 1880. In the 1870 Census the widowed Elizabeth was listed as living with her widowed father-in-law, Benjamin Turner, who was over 100 years old at the time. Family tradition says that Daniel and Elizabeth Turner were buried on what is now called the old Reverend Doll(ison) P. Cole place (farm), west of Belgrade in Washington County, Missouri. This farm probably originally was Daniel's place. They have no known existing tombstone.

Sources:
1. 1969 March, Potosi Independent Journal Newspaper, article by Jerrine Martin Wood.
2. 1854 Will of Daniel Turner, Washington County, Missouri, executed August 09, 1854.
3. 1840 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
4. 1850 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
5. 1860 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
6. 1870 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
7. Goodspeed's "History of Southeast Missouri", pp. 548.
8. The History of Crawford County, Vol. I, 1987, pp. 47.
9. The book, "Bellevue the Beautiful", pp. 44, 842.

Descendants of Daniel Turner

Generation No. 1

1. DANIEL2 TURNER (BENJAMIN1) was born 1789 in South Carolina, and died Bef. August 09, 1854 in Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri. He married ELIZABETH HILLEN Bef. 1811 in Tennessee, daughter of UNKNOWN HILLEN and UNKNOWN.

Notes for ELIZABETH HILLEN:

HISTORY OF ELIZABETH HILLEN TUNER:
Elizabeth was living with her son Marion Turner in 1860 in Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri. In 1870 she was living with her father-in-law Benjamin Turner.

Sources:
1. 1854 Will of Daniel Turner, Washington County, Missouri, executed August 09, 1854.
2. 1840 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
3. 1850 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
4. 1860 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
5. 1870 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
6. The book, "Bellevue the Beautiful", pp. 44, 842.

Children of DANIEL TURNER and ELIZABETH HILLEN are:

i. JOHN PRIOR3 TURNER, SR., b. 1811, Tennessee; d. December 1875, Washington County, Missouri; m. EMMA TODD, August 07, 1838, Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri.

ii. RICHARD TURNER, b. 1814; d. Crawford County, Missouri; m. ANN HORINE, May 26, 1832, Washington County, Missouri.

Notes for RICHARD TURNER:
Ran a store and trading post in the early 1850's in what was to become Bourbon, Crawford County, Missouri. The town literally sprang up around it. The Irish workers that came in were used to drinking whiskey, so Richard imported barrells of the new brand, Bourbon, which was becoming popular all over the New West. The workers gave the town its name. A. W. (Allison) Hill was the first post master in Bourbon. He married Virginia Turner, daughter of Richard Turner.

Sources:
1. Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri, pp. 543.
2. 1870 Boone Township, Crawford County, Missouri Census.
3. Crawford County, Missouri Marriage Records.
4. Bellevue the Beautiful, pp. 42.
5. Gwen King.

Notes for ANN HORINE:
Ann Horine is a descendant of either of two brothers:

1. Michael Horine (1750-7/1810), moved from Frederick County, Maryland to Jefferson County, Kentucky in 1780. Michael Horine was married ca. 1773 in Maryland or Pennsylvania to Susanna Chappell (1767?-11/24/1824). Between 1800 and 1802, Michael and his family moved to Franklin County and St. Genevieve County (now Washington County), Missouri. He was a very early inhabitant of Missouri. Michael Horine was apparently murdered in July 1810 and is buried in Horine Cemetery, Richwoods Township, Washington County, Missouri.

2. Jacob Horine (1754-1832), a Revolutionary War soldier from Maryland & Pennsylvania. In 1779 he married Barbara Swartz (ca. 1759- ). They migrated west about 1783 to Knobb Creek, Bullitt County, Kentucky, where Jacob died. In the nineteenth century descendants of Jacob Horine migrated to Monroe County, Illinois, and later to Missouri.

iii. THEOPHILUS BRADFORD TURNER, b. Aft. 1815, Tennessee; d. Bef. 1865; m. NANCY EMILY COLE.

Notes for THEOPHILUS BRADFORD TURNER:
He bought the Watson Cole Farm on Cub Creek, Washington County, near the old townsite of Quaker. Theophilus died in the Union Army during the Civl War. He is buried in the National Cemetery at Tarkio, Missouri.

iv. ANGELINE TURNER, b. Aft. 1815, Tennessee; d. 1848-1849, Washington County, Missouri; m. DAVID BEAM JENKINS, 1834, White County, Tennessee.

Notes for ANGELINE TURNER:
Angeline and Family's Sources:
1. 1850 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census, (A. T.'s ch.'s BP; Zerah Jenkins).
2. Washington County, Missouri Marriage Records.
3. WFT Volume 5, (Zerah Jenkins).
4. 1900 Washington County, Missouri Census.

Notes for DAVID BEAM JENKINS:
Moved to Washington County, Missouri by 1838 (birth of his son, Zerah), possibly with the Turner family. David and second wife Elizabeth lived in Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri in 1850. David was a farmer. He married three times and had eleven children. He and his third wife Isabella Hanry (Harvey) were married on April 1, 1869 by H. M. Smith, ordained MG at Washington County, Missouri. By 1880 he lived in that portion of Harmony Township that had become Walton Township.

Sources:
1. 1850 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
2. 1860 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census (daughter Mary).
3. 1880 Walton Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
4. Washington County, Missouri Marriage Book, 1822-1881.
5. WFT Vol. V.

v. NATHAN HARRISON TURNER, b. 1817, Tennessee; d. 1880-1900, Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri; m. RACHEL M. COLE, June 04, 1846, Washington County, Missouri.

Notes for NATHAN HARRISON TURNER:
Nathan Turner was worth 200$ in real estate in the 1850 census. Nathan was a minister for the Methodist Episcopal Church on Courtois Creek in Washington County, Missouri.

Sources:
1. 1850 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
2. 1880 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census.
3. The book, "Bellevue the Beautiful", pp. 842.

Notes for RACHEL M. COLE:
Relationship with husband, BD, BP and children's stats is from 1880 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census. Her father, Watson Cole, was an early pioneer in Washington County, Missouri, being among the first few to settle in that county. Watson is listed as having been born in Virginia. She is listed as being unable to write.

vi. WILLIAM TURNER, b. Bef. 1818.

Notes for WILLIAM TURNER:
William was in Atchison County when his father's heir were mentioned in August 09, 1854.

vii. NANCY M. TURNER, b. March 07, 1818, Roane County, Tennessee; d. Bef. 1880, Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri; m. BENJAMIN GILLIAM, November 10, 1835, Washington County, Missouri.

Notes for NANCY M. TURNER:
Her DD is extrapolated from the fact that she is not listed in the 1880 Census with her husband. BP, BD source: Bellevue the Beautiful, pp. 842.

viii. POLLY MARY ANN TURNER, b. 1820, Tennessee; d. Aft. 1892, Goodwater, Iron County, Missouri; m. GEORGE WILLIAM GILLIAM, May 02, 1839, Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri.

Notes for POLLY MARY ANN TURNER:
A census listing named her as Mary, other records, including her father's will, gave her name as Mary Ann. Polly is listed as "Keeping house" in the 1880 Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri Census and aged 45 (sic). She was the daughter of Dan and Elizabeth (Hillen) Turner.

ix. SARAH EMILY TURNER, b. July 05, 1822, Albermarle City, Albermarle County, Virginia; d. March 25, 1896, Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri; m. AUGUSTUS PRYOR WOODS, February 04, 1841, Washington County, Missouri.

Notes for SARAH EMILY TURNER:
A controversy exists over Emily's last name. She was called Sarah E. Wood and Emily Lucas Wood and also Sarah Ducas (Ducos, Dicus). She is listed as Sarah Turner in the book, "Washington County, Missouri Marriage Records 1814-1860", by Eunice Hackward, 1938.

This compiler lists her as the daughter of Daniel Turner, of Washington County, Missouri, as is according to marriage records and the "Bellevue the Beautiful" book. Augustus may have been married to two women named Sarah, which is a possibility. Sarah died of pneumonia and was buried at Lower Indian Creek Cemetery, Iron County, Missouri.

Sources:
1. The book, "Past and Present: A History of Iron County, Missouri 1857-1994", Vol. 1, pp. 416-418.
2. Washington County, Missouri Marriage Records 1814-1860, by Eunice Hackward, 1938, Lib #13275.
3. Tombstone of Sarah E. Woods, Lower Indian Creek Cemetery, Iron County, Missouri.
4. The book, "Bellevue the Beautiful", pp. 437, 842.

Notes for AUGUSTUS PRYOR WOODS:
August and Emily came to Iron County, Missouri from Virginia in 1837. They were Baptists and Democrats. He and Emily had at least two sons, James and William. August and Sarah Emily may or may not have had other sons named George and Augusten. Augusten was born in 1861 and died 1870. Augustus' wife is called Sarah Turner, daughter of Daniel Turner, in the Bellevue book. The Iron County book lists John W. born 1877, even though the Bellevue book lists a James W., born 1847, which is likelier, regarding the age (55) of the mother in 1877. James W. is born in 1870, according to his tombstone. Augustus died at the home of his son, W. R. in 1899 at Harmony Township, Washington County, Missouri. Augustus was buried at Lower Indian Creek Cemetery, Iron County, Missouri.

Sources:
1. Past and Present: A History of Iron County, Missouri 1857-1994, Vol. 1, pp. 416-418.
2. Washington County, Missouri Marriage Records 1814-1860, by Eunice Hackward, 1938, Lib #13275.
3. Tombstone of Augustus P. Woods, Lower Indian Creek Cemetery.
4. The book, Bellevue the Beautiful", pp. 437, 842.

Marriage Notes for SARAH TURNER and AUGUSTUS WOODS:
Married by James Laramore.

x. REBECCA TURNER, b. 1829, Tennessee.

Notes for REBECCA TURNER:
An alternate BD for Rebecca is 1819, and is very probable, Source: Bellevue the Beautiful, pp. 842.

xi. MARION TURNER, b. Bef. 1830, Tennessee; m. REBECCA UNKNOWN.

Notes for MARION TURNER:
Benjamin Gilliam, who married Marion's sister Nancy, is listed as being buried on the "old Marion Turner place". Marion seems to have moved from Washington County, Missouri or died by the 1890's, as Benjamin Gilliam died in 1897, and the Marion Turner place is mentioned in Ben's obituary in the past tense.

Source:
1. 1860 Washington County, Missouri Census.
2. 1897 Obituary of Benjamin Gilliam, Potosi Journal Newspaper, Potosi, Missouri.

xii. MONDELL TURNER, b. 1830, Tennessee.

Daniel Turner's ancestry

William Baker (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Turner, Gilliam, Gillam
Daniel Turner settled in Washington County, Missouri and died there. I have an updated and revised ancestry for him. He was NOT the son of Benjamin, who was his uncle. I have his Turner ancestry several generations back. Just email me if you need it.

Re: Daniel Turner's ancestry

Posted: 2 Jul 2002 4:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Bill, my grandmother before she died verified that Benjamin was the father of Daniel Turner.....

However she was very aged when i started searching, if Benjamin and Nancy Brooks Turner are not Daniel's parents but benjamin an uncle, who are Daniesl parents and the proof of parentage? Thanks Sincerely, Linn L Wiley

Audrae Turner Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2003 9:32AM GMT
Surnames: Turner
I believe that Daniel Turner's parents were William and Sarah Denney Turner of SC to Franklin Co, GA to Roane Co, TN to MO. Would love to swap info with you on this Turner line as I descend from one of Daniel's brother's, Nathan Turner.

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 1:30PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2004 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Turner, Gilliam
I am also descended from the Turners thru' Nancy and Mary/Polly Turner and the Gilliams. Mine is a convoluted bunch. Please include me in your exchange if you don't mind.
ngrimes@fidnet.com

Audrae Turner Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2003 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Turner and Gilliam
Nettie,

I would love to swap info with you. I am trying to track all living descendants of William and Sarah Denney Turner and these Gilliams are giving me fits <g> It took a long time to finally locate Daniel as we weren't sure where he went after leaving Roane Co, TN. I have quite a bit of data on him while he was there as I come from his brother, Nathan, and Nathan was there from cir 1811 until his death in 1840. Nathan's family moved on to MO and ended up in Webster and Greene counties, where they still live today. There is a town called Turner's in Greene county and that is where my father was born and raised. I look forward to hearing from you.

Audrae Turner Mathis

Posted: 15 Feb 2010 7:15PM GMT
I am VERY interested in Daniel Turner's ancestry; he is the Great-Great-Grandfather of my father.

Thank you for any information you could forward me.

Posted: 15 Feb 2010 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Webb, Wood, Turner
Never have a dog try to get your attention when your hand is over the "post" button.

As I was saying ...

I am very interested in the Daniel Turner ancestry. He is my father's Great-Great-Grandfather. Family line is:
Ronald E Webb (my father) - John P Wood - Melissa Jane Wood - Sarah Ellen Turner - Daniel Turner

I am interested in any information concerning the Turner and Wood family. My e-mail is BassoraMo@yahoo.com

Also, on YouTube, I put on a video about going to the cemetery where Melissa Jane Wood and Sarah Ellen Turner are buried. Here's the internet address:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EchoesoftheOzarks#p/u/18/Y0gr-uQ...

Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.