Search for content in message boards

BENTON/CARTER/JENKINS/HOPE

BENTON/CARTER/JENKINS/HOPE

Posted: 19 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2003 1:49PM GMT
Looking for information on Bentons, Carters, Jenkins, and hopes living in Butler county during the mid-1800's. Thanks!

JENKINS

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am researching a John and Mary A. Jenkins in Butler Co. There is also a Joel Jenkins family (sons Brannon, Joel, John, Richmond, Redmond, and William) there at the same time.
Don't know whether these are the Jekins you're searching for.

Linda Ward

JENKINS

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
JR, I have a very poor copy of a letter written in 1951 which is about the Jenkins. I copied this years ago at the Filson Club. I intend to go back next week and see if it's still in the family file and get a better copy if it is. Some places it is illegible, but it looks as if there was a Jesse/Jessie Jenkins who had a son Joel b. about 1780, and another son, William, b. about 1779. Birthplace of both are listed as NC. Joel was married twice. His first marriage was to Sallie Wood, Muhlenberg Co. KY. Cert. #215, p. 18 of first marriage book, m. by L. Jackson. The rest is illegible, but it looks as if it is something about the Wood family settling there in 1806 from North Carolina. Joe's second marriage was to Martha Tooley, Oct. 19, 1840, Robertson Co., TN, recorded Book #1, page 25, m. by the Justice of Peace, George Childress.
There is something about Joel being in Greenbrier Co. VA, which is now West Virginia, and something about the Jenkins originting in VA.
Joel's children are not in order of their birth, but he was supposed to have had 14 by his first wife. These are: Nancy, Patsy, Prudence, Brannon, Mary Frances "Fannie", Ellen, JOEL, Redmond or Redman, William, Hix(a daughter and do not know how to correctly spell it), Polly A., Richmond, John, and "unknown".
His children by his second wife, "Patsey" Martha Tooley are: James, Mansfield, Charles, Jesse, Bethara, Sally A., Lee, Alex, Penunaie, Joseph.
There are another couple of pages with notes on the above mentioned children.
Does this match your info?
Linda

JENKINS

JRitchie (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Linda,
I haven't run accross the names John or Mary A. Jenkins but that doesn't mean we are not looking into the same family line. I have two Joel Jenkins in my family-- dates ranging from late 1780's to mid to late 1800's in Butler county. Joel (father) was born in North Carolina. Does any of this match up with you? Let me know. JR

JENKINS

J.Ritchie (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Wow !
If this isn't part of the family from Butler and Muhlenberg counties, there are a lot of similarities! I'm sending a copy of what you wrote to a cousin to see what she thinks. I'll get back to you. Keep me informed! Jennifer
Posted: 20 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hey Linda,
I spent several hours at the genealogy library going through microfiche and found most of what you did EXCEPT Mary "Polly" Neill was the mother of the first 14 kids. Martha Tooley was listed as the second wife and mother of last 10(?) kids. I think there are two Joels living in nearby counties because I found record of both marriages (Polly on 11-29-1811 and Sarah on 12-12-1811). I have sent for the originals from LDS and hope it will shed more light. At this point though it looks as if Polly was the one I was looking for. Let me know what you find. Jennifer

JENKINS

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I've sent for an article entitled "Joel and Sally Jenkins, 1774-1863, North Carolina, KY" from the Allen Co. LIb. It usually takes six weeks for them to get it to me; however, will let you know what it says.

HOPE/JENKINS /CARTER

Selida Carter (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
My husbands family, HOPE, is from Butler Co. George Washington Hope married Martha H. Jenkins. They had a daughter Sarah Elizabeth Hope that married John Thomas Carter. My husband descends from Manly Jackson Hope, George and Martha's son. Selida

JENKINS/ HOPE

Posted: 29 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Selida,

I am the person who is corresponding with Brenda about the Hopes and Jenkins from Butler County. I just sent her some more info on Joel Jenkins and Polly Neill. She will be passing it on I'm sure. Jennifer

Re: HOPE/JENKINS /CARTER

Jason (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2002 12:57AM GMT
Selida,

My great-great grandfather was named Daniel Hope and I think he had a brother named George Washington Hope. I also recall a Manly Hope. Daniel's father was named John Hope. Do any of these names sound familiar? Tell me if you need any more information.

-Jason
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.