Search for content in message boards

Weiss/ Weisz Family in Hungary

Weiss/ Weisz Family in Hungary

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WEISZ, weiss, gruk, nagj
Would like to know If I have relatives

My grandfather was Joseph Weiss(originally WEISZ) (his mother was Johanna Nagj , father Adolf Weisz)
Married with Eva Farkas ( her mother was (maria)Mitzy Gruk)

I dont know of any relatives... It s just me and my mother left........... would be really happy to know there is someone out there
thank you

Re: Weiss/ Weisz Family in Hungary

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 7:11PM GMT
Weiss was a very common surname in Hungary, among both Christians and Jews. Do you know the name of the place where your grandfather was born or where he lived? Did they emigrate to the U.S.? If so, where did they settle?
My grandmother was Anna Weiss, born in a small village near Munkacs which was then in Northeastern Hungary.

Posted: 5 Oct 2009 9:05AM GMT
Surnames: Vitalov, Weiss
My family is Jewish. I actually dont know where my grandparents where born, I know that my mother was born in (ex)Cecoslovacchia in a city called cheb. I know that my Grandparents where deported to Dachau and Aushwitz. After the war ended they whent to the Usa , in Queens I think in 1948.

I also know that after the war my grandfather changed his surname in to Vitalov and then got back to Weiss when they got to the Usa so he could work as a doctor.

Posted: 5 Oct 2009 3:45PM GMT
Cheb was a center of Nazi activity and propaganda. I am very sorry that your grandparents were victims of the Holocaust. I hope the story of their ordeal has been written and recorded so it is never forgotten.

Do you know about the "American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors and Their Descendants. They publish a newspaper for the benefit of survivors and their families, and someone there may be able to help you. Their address is:
122 West 30th Street, Suite 205, New York, NY, 10001. Their phone number is (212) 239 4230. E-Mail < mail@americangathering.org >

There are researchers and geneaologists who specialize in Jewish family research. Many old archives in the Czech Republic have survived and more are becoming available all the time. I sincerely wish you good luck in your search.

My Weiss ancestors also came from Bohemia, but emigrated to what was then Northeastern Hungary in 1804. (Now it's Ukraine) As far as we know, they were Roman Catholic.

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Weiss Weisz Berkovits
My Grandfather was Samuel Weisz his Father Iszak, Mother Teresia (Berkovits) - he was born in Morovony/Murovyany (spelled on immigration papers).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.