Search for content in message boards

Master Mariner Captain John Charles Bennett

Replies: 0

Master Mariner Captain John Charles Bennett

Posted: 26 Oct 2009 7:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett Kelly Currie Conlon
Hello list,
After a lot of help from from Adi here at last(i hope).I am in need to find out about my GGF.Adi advises that I tell the List all that I know of him so here goes. His name is John Charles Bennett, I do not know when or how he came to Australia nor do I know of his death,where or when.
I found his marriage cert to GGM Ellen Kelly but not much info on it,married 1864,widower, Master Mariner, Millers Point.that was it about him.I then found his first marriage,1852 to Eliza Ann Nice,she came out on the Euphrates the same year.Found her death cert 1858 "Wife Of A Mariner".John and Ellen had five children 2 boys 3 girls,
2nd boy only lived a few days.
The 4 birth cert show that John Charles Bennett born Plymouth, Devon, Devonshire, Plymouth, the age that he states indicate that he was born 1825 also states Master Mariner and lived at Cumberland St.Ships in Aust Waters have him on The Prince of Denmarkas early as 1859 till 1862,
then on the Governor 1865-1867,The black Dog in 1868, Metaris in 1868, the Adventurer in 1869 and the Aurora 1871 and 1874.The scans of these transcriptions tell nothing of the captain only age and where from of the crew.I must add that i did find a Captain of the Countess Of Yarbourgh a
J C Bennett but i do not think my GGF would have been old enough to be this Captain. I am hoping that the list can help me trace him backwards for his Tickets ECT and maybe to his training/apprentiship. Maybe this information may help me find out about his birth/family.
My elderly cousin tells me that her father,my uncle Charlie
once told her that his GF was a known "Blackbirder"
There is story that Captain JCBennett crashed onto a reef in QLD on the "Prince of Denmark", somehow made it to an island and rebuilt a small craft he called "Hamlets Ghost"
left 11 natives on the island and sailed into Morten Bay.
My J C Bennett? how do I prove/disprove?
A big ask of the list,and I thank you all in advance for any information.
Regards
Gordon Bennett

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2006-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.